Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Now this fellow I am about to speak of, seems to be a bit active today, but unfortunately I can't read korean, so I don't know what the articles say. He starred alongside dragon lee in 5 pattern dragon claws, he was the student who committed suicide because of the guilt of his misdeeds to his school; he was best showcased in Mantis Vs. Falcon Claws, as the guy hired to get the princess back. Another top fighter, I don't think he ever got a starring role, what a serious pity, but he mostly starred alongside Kwak Mu Seong. I do have his name though: Mun Jong-geum. There is info on him so it seems but it is in korean only.

I wonder if he is still involved in movies today? Possibly what is his background?

• Like 1

Hi

Mun Jong-geum was born in North Gyeongsang Province of Uljin in 1958. He was one of many Bruce Lee inspirated martial artists. I'm not sure what style he practiced but judging pictures that i saw i think that he did some wrestling. In '90 and early 21st century he used to produce and direct some movies. Today he is chairman in Korea.

I saw some recent pictures of "him", but i need to be sure if thats him.

PM54168_114310_000.jpg

• Like 1

Once again, MG you are on the money, my friend. Yes that's him. I thought he may have been a businessman of some sort now, because I see pics of him very well dressed and saw one pic where it seems he was at a tournament with Dragon Lee. He probably got some practice with Taekwondo as well, he too had awesome kicking technique. Thanks for the info, buddy.

• Like 1

Thanks again MG for the information you are providing. Have you heard of the movie, Shaolin Water Seller (Sorimsa muljangsu)(1982) it stars Huh suk do and kuk jeong suk? It seems like a rare one, but as I mentioned previously I can't read korean, but it seems the actor Huh suk do is now a make-up artist? Kuk jeong suk was definitely one of the best female on screen fighters, do you have perhaps anymore information on these two actors?

• Like 1

This time i don't think that i would be able to help you much :squigglemouth: I know for that movie and i'm pretty much sure that i have it somewhere im my archive. Anyway all i know about Huk Suk is like you said make up artist. He used to act in few martial art movies, but he is different type of actor, he used to act in dramas, comedies etc. About Kuk Jeong suk i really don't know anything, when it comes to a female Korean character i usually pick Chui Ching-Nga.

• Like 1

loempiavreter
Anything else that you guys would like you know :tongue: ?

Anything similar to something like To Kill A Mastermind, i.e. something with nice exotic weaponary and other gadgetry and badass villains or villain group/gang/crew/firm/mob/posse?

• Like 1

Here are some Korean movies that you must check out:

Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple / Dragon Lee, Hwang Jang Lee, Martin Chui Man Fooi!

Fist of Death / Kim Tai Jung, Eagle Han, Bruce Cheung, Chen Shan (CAMEO) - movie is pretty bad but it have good cast

Wild Panther / Chen Shan, Eagle Han

Tomb for a Strong Man Wang In Sik, Charles Han

Manchurian Tiger Charles Han, must check!

Canton Viper / Bobby Kim, Hwang Jang Lee

Sout Shaolin vs North Shaolin / Ca Sa Fa classic!

Five Pattern Dragon Claws / Dragon Lee, Hwang Jang Lee

Shantung Chinese Restaurant Benny Tsui, Eagle Han

Seven Star Grand Mantis Benny Tsui, Eagle Han

Kill the Ninja / Bobby Kim

Secret Envoy / Not a masterpiece but Hwang and CaSaFa!

The Strike of the Thunderkick / Charles Han

Blue Butterfly the Amazon / Kim Ki-Hong

GANGSTER STUFF

Emperor of Underworld / Dragon Lee, Hwang Jang Lee

Bloody Mafia / CaSaFa

Nationwide Constituency all 3 parts

Chongro Blues / Dragon Lee, CaSaFa

There are few more from 2000-2011 but i'm not so good in that part.

You gotta see mentioned films!

• Like 1

I'd love to see a cleaner print with English subs! The copy I have is blurry and Korean language only. :neutral: Classic kicking from HJL though!

Hwang Jang Lee is good as always hehe :smile:

• Like 1

MG, you actually have this movie: Shaolin Water Seller(Sorimsa muljangsu)(1982)? I've been looking everywhere for this movie

Shaolin Water Seller:

16aeixj.jpg

miew7q.jpg

15d5e0g.jpg

6zq55j.jpg

nbrd3p.jpg

• Like 1

-Note, error happened

Just want to let you all know that guy for which i claimed that is Han Yong-Cheol, actually is director Lee Doo Yong. I want to apologise myself, since the history of Korean films is big mistakes are often.

Once agains i'm really sorry because of this error.

• Like 1

As much as I looked at the picture, I just couldn't see Han Yong Cheol, given he is older now, but still that pic did not look much like him. I would love to see how Han Yong Cheol look nowadays. I know he was incredibly handsome! back in his hey day.

• Like 1

monkeygift
As much as I looked at the picture, I just couldn't see Han Yong Cheol, given he is older now, but still that pic did not look much like him. I would love to see how Han Yong Cheol look nowadays. I know he was incredibly handsome! back in his hey day.

here you go:

ddf480.jpg

• Like 1

Thats why error was caused. Guy really looks like Han Yong-Cheol but thats not him that is that director who discovered and used him in many movies. I must agree with you that he was really handsome and that he probably looks cool now. I'll check out with some of my contacts and try to seek out his recent photo.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that pic again, monkeygift, I couldn't refresh it from the older post. I know han yong cheol was also much taller than that man on the pic.

MG, it would be interesting to find a pic of yong cheol in the present; I wonder if he's back in the US now?

• Like 1