Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

One Armed Boxer

I have to admit I'd love to see more of the old-school Korean kung-fu movies, in their original language, as frankly my knowledge about them is nowhere near the level I would like it to be.

However I love the performances of every actor that's been mentioned in their various HK or Taiwanese movie roles, so to see them performing in a completely native Korean production would be a real pleasure....MG Lerox, cough cough....hurry up with 'Miss Please Be Patient'...cough cough!

I think the main problem with the lack of knowledge about these movies is that Korean movie fans fall into 2 categories....the people who are aware and enjoy the old-school movies and stars that are being talked about here...and the people who only became aware of the Korean scene in the post-'Shiri' period...and often it is rare to find someone who has an interest in both.

But I'd definitely count myself as someone who likes both the newer Korean output as well as having a keen interest in the old...I look forward to reading more about the old-school scene because I could certainly do with the eductation...and MG Lerox seems to be the 'go-to-man' for thie subject!

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I certainly doubt I'll be of any contribution to this thread but I'll be keeping tabs on it so as to learn more about this subject.

• Like 1

I like the Korean old school stuff. The stars mentioned in the various posts are great; I particularly enjoy watching HJL and Casanova.

It always amuses me when I look at the vengeance video gold thread, and read ironfistedmonk's mini reviews - loads of them say things like 'more Korean rubbish' and I sit here thinking 'I enjoyed that!' :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Good to see that Korean action cinema is still in action, i noticed that you guys are very curious about those movies and actors, just tell me what you would like to know the most and i''ll try to give you best possbile answer from my side.

@OAB

Miss Please be Patient will come soon there are quite few other guys that would like to get film but they are not so strong with money at the moment so they asked me to wait for some more, but no worries movie is at safe place.

• Like 1

Good to see that Korean action cinema is still in action, i noticed that you guys are very curious about those movies and actors, just tell me what you would like to know the most and i''ll try to give you best possbile answer from my side.

@OAB

Miss Please be Patient will come soon there are quite few other guys that would like to get film but they are not so strong with money at the moment so they asked me to wait for some more, but no worries movie is at safe place.

There is so much I would like to know, but mainly, MG, do you have any info on Benny Tsui? That guy is fantastic on screen, but information is zero on him. I think it is possible he could have been acting under various names, Seo Byeong-Heon, Ha Hu-Seong, and Ha U-Seong. I am positive that is him who starred in Sogwon(1980) aka laughing fist, but the credit was under Ha U-Seong, also 12 martial arts(1978) credited under Ha Hu-Seong. Those movies are incredible. My other favs are Masters of tiger crane where on KMDB credited under Seo Byeong-Heon as well as 7 star grand mantis and Shantung chinese restaurant. In the incredible shaolin thunderkick, he was credited under Ha U-Seong. I assumed he practiced taekwondo in real life and his kicking skills is off the charts. Any info you have would be so very awesome, thanks so much for any help you can provide.

• Like 1

odioustrident

Woman Blacksmith has some high end stuff going on. A lot of these Korean films are light on the intricate shapes or handwork, but this film definitely delivers on all counts imo.

DF8PMa_zyqE

• Like 1

There is so much I would like to know, but mainly, MG, do you have any info on Benny Tsui? That guy is fantastic on screen, but information is zero on him. I think it is possible he could have been acting under various names, Seo Byeong-Heon, Ha Hu-Seong, and Ha U-Seong. I am positive that is him who starred in Sogwon(1980) aka laughing fist, but the credit was under Ha U-Seong, also 12 martial arts(1978) credited under Ha Hu-Seong. Those movies are incredible. My other favs are Masters of tiger crane where on KMDB credited under Seo Byeong-Heon as well as 7 star grand mantis and Shantung chinese restaurant. In the incredible shaolin thunderkick, he was credited under Ha U-Seong. I assumed he practiced taekwondo in real life and his kicking skills is off the charts. Any info you have would be so very awesome, thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Hey mate

Thats very tricky question because as you mentioned info on Benny Tsui is zero. It is possible (actually i'm pretty sure) that he starred in some more Korean movies under various names. Similar thing happened to Kim Tai Jung because there is actress Kim Tae Jeong those two have very similar name in Korean and much confusion was made, so until this day as probably biggest fan i'm not able to comfirm in how many movies Kim Tai Jung starred, same thing probably happened to Benny. Anyway if it is from any help to you i can tell you that you don't need to suspect if that is him in Sogwon (1980) it is for sure that he starred there along side his mate from his all movies Eagle Han. I', sorry because i don't have more info about him, i was trying to get some for a long time but nothing, anyway research goes on and if i find any more info you will know it.

Next question please :xd:

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Woman Blacksmith has some high end stuff going on. A lot of these Korean films are light on the intricate shapes or handwork, but this film definitely delivers on all counts imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8PMa_zyqE

That's a really cool clip.

On a side note, I did not see a single woman blacksmith in there.:tongue:

• Like 1

Thanks MG, for the info. Question # 2, Han Yong Cheol aka Charles Han I heard is from the U.S. and was recruited to be the next big star, by director Lee Doo Yong. The guy is fantastic, but unfortunately he too had a short movie career as it seems judging by his filmography and once again no information about him. I was wondering did he return to the U.S. and maybe teaching martial arts over here? What happened to him? I also wondered if he was supposed to star in Kill The Shogun (1975) which the lead actor looked alot like him and was director by the director who used him as his lead actor.

• Like 1

Thanks MG, for the info. Question # 2, Han Yong Cheol aka Charles Han I heard is from the U.S. and was recruited to be the next big star, by director Lee Doo Yong. The guy is fantastic, but unfortunately he too had a short movie career as it seems judging by his filmography and once again no information about him. I was wondering did he return to the U.S. and maybe teaching martial arts over here? What happened to him? I also wondered if he was supposed to star in Kill The Shogun (1975) which the lead actor looked alot like him and was director by the director who used him as his lead actor.

This question is much easier :bigsmile:

Han Young Cheol was born in Korea but toward war problems etc his family was forced to move to U.S. In early 70 there was audition for movie "Manchurian Tiger" that movie was considered to be first movie about real TKD. Namely Hwang Jang Lee and some other dudes showed up on auditions but suddenly only Han was good enough to impress director. He stared in quite few action movies (about 8) during '70s until his last made movie "Strike of Thunder Kick Tiger" from 1981. I really don't know if he was suposed to star in Kill the Shogun but as far as i know actor from the movie is not him but as i said i could be wrong.

Now i'm not sure where is he at the moment, but last time when i saw him (little less then a year ago) he was in Korea at some meeting with Dragon Lee, Hwang Jang Lee and Casanova Wong. As i said i dont know where is he at this moment but i know that he is well and probably in Korea.

Here is recent picture of him, hope you love it. He is 56 now and still looks great!

%C0%CC%B5%CE%BF%EB.jpg?type=w3

Next question please :smile:

• Like 1

silver hermit

i have been bitten by the korean old school bug latley, ever since i found a shop that was closing and was selling off its tapes. there are some real hidden gems i have never heard of. but i hope to network with more korean fans of old school.

• Like 1

MG, would you happen to know the name of the guy that starred in a couple of dragon lee's movies, I first noticed him in Dragon's Snake Fist, he was Yuen Qiu aka Phoenix kim's character's brother and lead bad guy's son, I also saw him in Enter the invincible hero, he was the snake style fighter in the red suit, and he was also in Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger, he was the guy dragon lee fought at the contest to win the older guy's daughter's hand in marriage. This fellow has awesome kicking and fighting skills in general. His biggest role seemed to be that in Dragon's Snake Fist, the young leader of the crane fist school. I was wondering if he may have starred in other movies or whatever happened to him?

• Like 1

Hi

Guy that you are talking about can't be none other then Kim Ki-Hong, he is the guy who took a role in Dragon's Snake Fist, Enter the Invincible Hero and Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger and later starred in several other Korean movies. As far as i know he was born on 22. August in 1962, and he is a real martial artist, not actor he just appeared in several movies. From what i heared he used to take some Kendo lessons beside TKD.

IFeed.asp?ImageID=990

• Like 1

Awesome info, MG. Thanks again for sharing, I thought he was a real martial artist, he skills are great and I am familiar with this actor, but the guy I was talking about I guess was just a bit player, but his martial arts was fantastic. This guy was the new teacher of the crane fist school in Dragon's Snake fist and Kim ki-hong played one of his students. This fellow also played the son of the bad guy in Dragon's Snake fist, who was played by Choi kyu min. It seems that kim ki hong and this fellow whose name I do not know, did star together in those films with dragon lee.

Well i though he was Kim Ki-Hong but now not sure, there are quite few actors that are on top of my head now, but i'm really not sure who this guy could be. Sorry.

• Like 1

No prob, MG. I figure he was probably a bit player, but it is a shame because his martial arts skills were fantastic; he could have gone far in the movie business

• Like 1

Yeah thats for sure, he was probably real martial arts expert that made several appearances in movies just to make some money, but he could defenetly be a big star.

• Like 1