Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

DragonClaws

Hwang Jang Lee, Casanova Wong and Jang Soon-Ja star in the subject of my latest Martial Arts movie ramble. Please click on the link below, for some of my thoughts on Black Dragon River.

Blackdragonriver.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Drunken Monk

Snake Fist of a Buddhist Dragon (1983) - Is it ok to forgive a movie for being absolutely fucking terrible because it features good fight scenes? If it is, then I'm rating this one pretty highly.

Snake Fist of a Buddhist Dragon makes very little sense. There are Wudang rosters, kidnapped women, freed kidnapped women, Shaolin monks, snake caves, random duels, shaved mustaches a shitload of a flashbacks... It feels like twelve films forced into one. Throw in a terrible dub track and, for the most part, the film is difficult to get through.
However, the film does feature some very nice fight choreography and there are a LOT of fights. Especially early on with the flashbacks. Even Eddy Ko and Lung Fei pop up for a quick scrap (not against each other).
It's classic Korean shapes stuff which I like quite a bit. There's some nice boot work here and there too. Oh and some weapons work.

Sadly, the movie does sag a little around the 50 minute mark. This is only for 30 minutes but it seems like a long time when compared to the rest of its runtime.

It all just feels so bloody random. But I suppose that's a minor gripe when I enjoyed the action this much. If I were to rate it, maybe I'd give it a 2.5/5.

• Like 7

Chu Liu Hsiang

KUNG FU FEVER. Bruce Lee has died, and everyone is looking for his kung fu manual of a newly developped technique. The cheese was leaking from my TV! The German dub was appropriately dull.  Some cool action. I hated that it includes a shot of Bruce Lee in his coffin.  

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
21 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Where's the best place to start with Korean kung fu flicks? Nam Gi-Nam's films? Older stuff? 

I'm more of a Kim Si-hyun man myself, but that's only because of my affinity for Dragon Lee (you can check out his full filmography here). It's worth bearing in mind that very few Korean directors worked exclusively in the kung-fu genre, so it may be better to go with stars rather than directors. For me the first legitimate Korean martial arts star was Han Yong-cheol, a guy who had the looks and the moves, a fair few of his movies have been reviewed in this thread.  Here's a link to him on the kmdb.

• Like 4

On 10/1/2020 at 7:24 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through watching 'Incredible Shaolin Thunderkick' (aka 'Water Retailer of Shantung') with Benny Tsui, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out below - 

https://cityonfire.com/incredible-shaolin-thunderkick-1982-review/

Excellent review. Along with 5 Pattern Dragon Claws, I think the fight choreography in this is criminally overlooked. The kicking, as expected, is at a whole different level than what you saw in Hong Kong films.

This is Jang Cheol in Shaolin Thunderkick?

image.jpeg.4725c8862103848b00c239518c322790.jpeg

Edited by Gaijin84
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 6/26/2021 at 8:51 PM, Gaijin84 said:

This is Jang Cheol in Shaolin Thunderkick?

It is, now get that hkmdb image updated.:smile

• Like 4

Super Ninja
On 6/26/2021 at 6:17 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm more of a Kim Si-hyun man myself, but that's only because of my affinity for Dragon Lee (you can check out his full filmography here). It's worth bearing in mind that very few Korean directors worked exclusively in the kung-fu genre, so it may be better to go with stars rather than directors. For me the first legitimate Korean martial arts star was Han Yong-cheol, a guy who had the looks and the moves, a fair few of his movies have been reviewed in this thread.  Here's a link to him on the kmdb.

Good point @One Armed Boxer, thought you'd be the man to ask. I'll start with Han Yong-cheol's movies then and see where it leads me from there. How's the availability of these movies on physical media?

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

How's the availability of these movies on physical media?

Unfortunately very poor, and what is out there is limited to the Godfrey Ho edited Asso Asia versions with altered plots and horrendous dubbing. With that being said, some of these can be amusing in their own right, although they should never be taken as a reflection of the original movie.  From what's available on DVD I think there's - 

'Returned Single-Legged Man' was released by Pathfinder as 'The Korean Connection'.

'My Name is Twin Legs' was released by Cornerstone Media as 'Strike of the Thunderkick Tiger' .

'Yong-ho's Cousins' was release by Vengeance Video as 'Buddhist Fist & Tiger Claws'.

I'd say Blu-ray's are a distant dream...

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I like this movie. It's a shame that Charles Han didn't have much of a career. There was a big gap between Tomb for a Strongman (1975) and Half a Piece of Map (1981).

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd guess his compulsory military service was likely a part of that gap.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
22 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Unfortunately very poor, and what is out there is limited to the Godfrey Ho edited Asso Asia versions with altered plots and horrendous dubbing. With that being said, some of these can be amusing in their own right, although they should never be taken as a reflection of the original movie.  From what's available on DVD I think there's - 

'Returned Single-Legged Man' was released by Pathfinder as 'The Korean Connection'.

'My Name is Twin Legs' was released by Cornerstone Media as 'Strike of the Thunderkick Tiger' .

'Yong-ho's Cousins' was release by Vengeance Video as 'Buddhist Fist & Tiger Claws'.

I'd say Blu-ray's are a distant dream...

I'll see if I can track those down at least. That and the names you mentioned in the last post should be more than enough for a nice deep dive into Korean fu, thanks.

I also have @TheKungFuRobber's The Invisible Fists release which seems like a unique opportunity to compare the original Korean version and the one with, as you say, altered plot and horrendous dubbing.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

So Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu...

• IFD used the Star Wars music for their damn logo!
  • Gordon Liu is very miscast as a very milquetoast villian, who seems way too fond of his hot sister. I find it very hard to believe the boyish Liu is supposed to be a powerful warlord here.
  • An unexplained Bob Baker/Wallish gwailo.
  • A rather repulsive hunchback traitor, disfigured with a large bright red port-wine stain AND a large cold-sore...
  • Speaking of cold, even for a Korean film this looks freezing! Several of the interior scenes show the smokey breath flying out of people's mouths like a fog machine!
  • The old master is very trendy, what with his covid mask!
  • The masked monkey fighter on the other hand...
  • Pointless child nudity
  • Ooh, the V-Ger music from Star Trek: The Motion Picture!
  • Gordon looks very funny riding into battle with what looks like a dead squirrel on his head.
  • The hero fights Gordon on the ice, bare-chested! Brrrrr....
  • Eagles ex machina
  • I take back some of the mean things I said about Fury in Shaolin Temple...

3/10

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

These movies are a Trilogy ??

Yes, the Shantung Trilogy.

Water Retailer of Shantung (1982) (re-titled Incredible Shaolin Thunderkick for its western release)

Gay Woman from Shantung (1983) (re-titled 7-Star Grand Mantis for its western release)

Shantung Chinese Restaurant (1983) (never released in the west)

12 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

So Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu...

aka Dae-Hyung Appears!

• Like 4

On 7/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, ShawAngela said:

These movies are a Trilogy ??

I need to see this !!

A very, very loose trilogy... no reoccurring characters or plot, but all star Benny Tsui and are directed by Kim Seon-Gyeong

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gaijin84 said:

A very, very loose trilogy... no reoccurring characters or plot, but all star Benny Tsui and are directed by Kim Seon-Gyeong

Ah, that's why I was so surprised that it was mentioned as a trilogy...!

• Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 11:24 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

It is, now get that hkmdb image updated.:smile

I'm getting some pushback over at the database about this being Jang Cheol. His page has some portraits that don't really look the same. I'll keep watching a myriad of his films to ID him.

• Like 4