Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Shaolivevil
2 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

Shaolin Blood Mission Cheapie movie but an entertaining one. The Shaolin fighting is real good. But the acting isn't the best and dubbing is really bad in spots. But this movie had everything from Human Slave Chess, Drinking live chicken blood, Perverted monk boys, People throwing dynamite, and music from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hwang Jang-lee is always entertaining. What the movie needed was a main hero. It was pretty much the whole Shaolin Temple working together. The one person who i think was suppose to be the hero just felt like a side character. 

Hide contents

So the main Abbot died when they extracted the book from his back, but didn't die when they sowed it in in the first place? Okay Sure. 

I had this movie on VHS. In fact, it was one of the first kung fu movies I bought back in the late 80's. I bought it at Zayre and it was one of those 2 movies on 1 VHS tapes. I remember the box cover had ninjas on it but of course there were no ninjas in the movies at all. The other movie was Deadly Shaolin Longfist. I thought Deadly Shaolin Longfist was boring so I don't remember much of it. I remember that Shaolin: The Blood Mission had taken some music from Raiders Of The Lost Ark, which is my favorite Indiana Jones movie of all. It also lifted music from Psycho and The Road Warrior. 

Edited by Shaolivevil
  • Like 3

Duel to the Death
17 minutes ago, Shaolivevil said:

I had this movie on VHS. In fact, it was one of the first kung fu movies I bought back in the late 80's. I bought it at Zayre and it was one of those 2 movies on 1 VHS tapes. I remember the box cover had ninjas on it but of course there were no ninjas in the movies at all. The other movie was Deadly Shaolin Longfist. I thought Deadly Shaolin Longfist was boring so I don't remember much of it. I remember that Shaolin: The Blood Mission had taken some music from Raiders Of The Lost Ark, which is my favorite Indiana Jones movie of all. It also lifted music from Psycho and The Road Warrior. 

It's funny that you say that. I have that very vhs right here. It was sitting in a box for years unwatched. And I am just finally getting around to watching them. Both are on YouTube so might as well watch them there. Gonna watch Deadly Shaolin Longfist next. lol

Fcumfh6.jpg

• Like 4

Shaolivevil
3 hours ago, Duel to the Death said:

It's funny that you say that. I have that very vhs right here. It was sitting in a box for years unwatched. And I am just finally getting around to watching them. Both are on YouTube so might as well watch them there. Gonna watch Deadly Shaolin Longfist next. lol

Fcumfh6.jpg

Holy sh*t!! That is awesome! I haven't seen that tape in years! Talk about a blast from the past! I remember I let a friend of mine borrow that tape back in high school and I never got it back.

• Like 3

Duel to the Death

Deadly Shaolin Longfist Your standard guy gets trained by a hermit type master. It was pretty lackluster. I'll be honest i was dozing off and not paying attention to most of it. The dubbing made the movie so much worse. It's possible if i could hear it in it's original language and if the picture was better i could bring it up 1 notch. From an F to a D. The coolest part of the movie is when our main hero runs halfway up the tree and turns around to kick the main villain, but they ruin what was going to be one of the greatest moves in cinema history by cutting to a kick recorded at a different time instead of having it be one single move. 

Edited by Duel to the Death
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

Fury in Shaolin Temple (1982) - What a mixed bag this one is. Firstly, it's absolutely all over the place. Eagle's Claw, Ghost Fist, Drunken Boxing, Shaolin bronze men... It's certainly interesting. But it's certainly not great. The fight scenes range from excellent to possibly one of the worst on screen fights I've ever seen. There's a fight between Cha Yi-Tao (Bruce Lai) and Phillip Ko halfway through this movie where they each display drunken versions of their preferred style (eagle and mantis). It is laughably bad.  Chin Yuet Sang has done a lot of great fight choreography work but here he seems inspired my Korean kung fu movies. It's not quite as shapes based as I'd liked. As for Gordon Liu, he must have needed a quick paycheck.

It has moments. Some of the action is genuinely great. But I wouldn't call it a good film. All in all, despite the wealth of kung fu on display, I found it rather mundane.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Eagle's Claw, Ghost Fist, Drunken Boxing, Shaolin bronze men... It's certainly interesting. But it's certainly not great. The fight scenes range from excellent to possibly one of the worst on screen fights I've ever seen. There's a fight between Cha Yi-Tao (Bruce Lai) and Phillip Ko halfway through this movie where they each display drunken versions of their preferred style (eagle and mantis).

Does it actually look like they're trying to do different styles, or is it generic late 70s Korean movie fighting as tends to show up in these films, even those with animal names in the title?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
47 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Does it actually look like they're trying to do different styles, or is it generic late 70s Korean movie fighting as tends to show up in these films, even those with animal names in the title?

I'd say it's a mix. There's obvious mantis fist and drunken boxing stuff but the majority is typical Korean choreography from that era. It looks alright but it's nothing special.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Shaolin Drunken Monk - When I think of mediocre kung fu movies, this one springs to mind. It just doesn't really deliver much until the final fight sequence and while that is very watchable, it can't quite redeem the hour and ten minutes that comes before it. The plot is mostly boring while trying to do too much at once. Did we really need both Gordon Liu's and Captain One Hand's story It felt like too much in my eyes.

The last fight is pretty great and we're treated to a few lukewarm skirmishes throughout but it all makes for a very average viewing experience. A far fry from Gordon's Shaw Brothers classics.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

. The plot is mostly boring while trying to do too much at once. Did we really need both Gordon Liu's and Captain One Hand's story It felt like too much in my eyes.

Do you think he should've gotten revenge, or forgotten about that in favor of shtupping the villain's daughter?

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Do you think he should've gotten revenge, or forgotten about that in favor of shtupping the villain's daughter?

Haha! Isn’t the ultimate revenge bedding the daughter of the person you want revenge against?

He should have just had his way with her and called it a day.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Shaolin Drunken Monk - When I think of mediocre kung fu movies, this one springs to mind. 

The version I watched of this was called '36 Chambers of Shaolin: The Final Confrontation' (I reviewed it here), and clocked in at lean 75 minutes!  I believe this is the only example of Liu's Korean output which was choreographed by Lau Kar Leung.

The last fight is pretty great and we're treated to a few lukewarm skirmishes throughout but it all makes for a very average viewing experience. 

Yep, we have this movie to thank for a Gordon Liu vs Eagle Han Ying face off, and it definitely didn't disappoint for the most part.

A far fry from Gordon's Shaw Brothers classics.

I know its a controversial opinion (or so I've been told in other threads :tongueout), but regardless of if it was a Shaw Brothers production or not, outside of his work with Lau Kar Leung (either as director or choreographer), Liu's output is for the most part mediocre.  Even more so once Shaw's shut up shop all together.  It's like only Kar Leung knew how to bring out the best in him.

PS Have moved this discussion to the Korean old-school thread, since this is a Korean slice of kung-fu!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I believe this is the only example of Liu's Korean output which was choreographed by Lau Kar Leung.

Mark Pollard's old review suggested that it was mainly Chin Yuet-Sang doing the choreography with Lar Kar-Leung doing...well, I don't know what. Of course, that was his opinion, so I won't take it as gospel.

9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It's like only Kar Leung knew how to bring out the best in him.

Sadly, when Liu faced off with Donnie Yen and Jet Li in the early 90s, they both kicked the s*** out of him without breaking a sweat. Lost opportunities, I tell you.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
On 7/29/2020 at 1:13 AM, DrNgor said:

Sadly, when Liu faced off with Donnie Yen and Jet Li in the early 90s, they both kicked the s*** out of him without breaking a sweat. Lost opportunities, I tell you.

Yep, and you can include Yuen Biao in that list from 1989's 'The Peacock King'.  But this goes back to the original point I made, Liu was underwhelming in pretty much anything he appeared in which didn't have some involvement from Lau Kar Leung.

Jet Li has actully kicked his ass twice, the 2nd time coming with 2011's 'Flying Swords of Dragon Gate'.

• Like 3

I finally watched BLOOD OF DRAGON PERIL. I really would like to see this in scope because the cropping kills it. Most people don’t seem to know that it was based on the Korean manhwa (comic book) BRIDAL MASK...which would become the 2012 TV series.

Edited by Jesse Smooth
  • Like 3

Five Pattern Dragon Claws aka Thundering Fist [1983] Dir. Kim Si-hyun

A recent re-watch as I've haven't seen this in years. Always enjoyed the fights especially the finale between Dragon Lee & Hwang Jang-lee. The lightning & thunder effects of Dragon Lee's punches were cheesy but it lent the choreo a bit of a pizazz for what's an obvious low budget movie.

• Like 7

Champ Against Champ (1980) - I decided to revisit my newly found friend Dragon Lee today. The first time I attempted to watch this film, I gave up in the first twenty minutes but I’ve had people say it was good so I thought I’d try again.

They were right.

This is such a fun movie. The pilot’s nothing new but Dragon Lee kicking the shit out of everyone with a metal leg is amazing. The action is really pretty great and made me like Dragon more and more. On top of that the film is batshit crazy. This is helped by a truly terrible dub. But there are wacky weapons, a guy that breathes fire, a bunch of girls that can turn invisible etc.

I’d love to see this one remastered and subtitles properly. It’s a sweet little gem I’d never considered before now.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Champ Against Champ (1980) - I decided to revisit my newly found friend Dragon Lee today. The first time I attempted to watch this film, I gave up in the first twenty minutes but I’ve had people say it was good so I thought I’d try again.

They were right.

This is one of my favorite Dragon Lee movies too, glad you gave it a second chance and enjoyed it. I'd love to see subtitled version aswell, but there's something about the old English dub that really works well here.

• Like 5

A Blow of Fury(1977) - click on the link below for some of my thoughts on this Korean actioner.

Ablowofury.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

I recently watched a 1984 Korean TV martial arts film featuring Casanova Wong titled Bi Gaek (비객/飛客) where Casanova seeks revenge for his fallen father, despite becoming a monk. No English subtitles are available, but here's the official upload:

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

SECRET NINJA, ROARING TIGER -  all in all enjoyable/ saved by action. I could definitely have done without some scenes though. Dragon Lee's character was and behaved painfully dumb but Lim Ja_Ho's was really cool. 

• Like 5

On 10/1/2020 at 8:24 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I recently got through watching 'Incredible Shaolin Thunderkick' (aka 'Water Retailer of Shantung') with Benny Tsui, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out below - 

https://cityonfire.com/incredible-shaolin-thunderkick-1982-review/

Great review. I caught the last fight via @SMK's old site and face-palmed when it looked like Benny Tsui was performing drunken boxing after drinking water. 

But man, the talk of him being virtually castrated and becoming a girl....until he's "cured"...that's just surreal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer

We recently got through reviewing a double dose of Korean kung-fu over at COF!

First up is 'Revenge of Drunken Master (aka Paldaechi Fighting Skill)' from @Killer Meteor. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/revenge-of-drunken-master-1981-review-dragoneer-7-the-tremendous-drunken-frenzy/

Drunken.JPG.b7ac4b46a2243b7c3c056125d9d83cd2.JPG

Second up from yours truly, it's 'Eagle vs. Silver Fox (aka Flying Martial Arts)'. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/eagle-vs-silver-fox-aka-flying-martial-arts-1980-review/

99D2884C5DF5E9620A

• Like 5