Korean Old School Kung Fu Movies

falkor

Korean kicks and melodrama, as hardman Bobby Kim plays a loved up secruity van driver who's framed for robbery. Click/Tap on the link below, for my complete write-up, thank you.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

The more I watch Korean movies, the more I realize that I'm not really into this kind of movies, at least for the ones with Benny Tsui. The ones with Elton Chong are a little bit more interesting,

The Korean movies can be an acquired taste, and very jarring in style if your more used to the Hong/Taiwanese films.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

The snake strikes back. 

I dropped my girlfriend in the deep end with Korean Old-School movies. After watching this one night, and desptie falling asleep she still never forgave me for it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I dropped my girlfriend in the deep end with Korean Old-School movies. After watching this one night, and desptie falling asleep she still never forgave me for it.

:bs_laughing:

• Like 3

A couple of question for the Korean movie experts out there.

Has this low key Jack Lam movie Five Mirim Swordsmen(19??), ever received any kind of release outside of Korea?. I'm under the impression that even the Korean VHS release is pretty hard to find?. More importantly, is it actually worth tracking down?.

Ready for action, the cast of Five Mirim Swordsmen. You can see the Super Kicker himself, Jack Lam second from the right. Who can put names to the other cast member'?.

FiveMirimSwordsmenJackLam.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

The guy in the background looks like Kim Ki-Ju

I was about to point him out too, but just to say that his face was familiar...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Could the woman be Yuen Qiu ?

It could be her, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. Yuen Qiu did have roles in a number of Korean Bruceploitation films between 1978 and 1981. It's a strong possibilty that movie came out between those year's, if it is her?. I just don't have a year for the movies production or release.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 11:07 PM, ShawAngela said:

Where did you find the title of this movie? I can't find it in Jack Lam's filmography.

Jack am has a more extensive filmogrpahy on the KMDB I think?, it might be listed on there. I stumbled upon this image while re-searchin another Korean title. The image came with the movies title, otherwise I'd never have been able to I-D the production.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

And do you have the original language title, or did it come with the English title ?

Sorry I don't know the original Korean title for it, can someone else with the KMDB link?. It useally just shows when doing a search on Google.

• Like 1

I finally watched an interesting Korean movie, with no shouts, no silly comedy, superb fights and an unusual ending for a revenge movie !

Double dragon in the last duel is the one, and we even have the " luck " to see the main actor imitating a little bit Bruce Lee in one of the fights.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Thank you very much.

I found other pictures and posters :

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=hcr333&logNo=120204480882&proxyReferer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

https://movie.daum.net/moviedb/main?movieId=1097

And here a link to some nice posters (the one for this movie is the one on the left of the last one at the bottom of the page), including one with Angela Mao (third from the left one the fourth line).

http://www.koreanfilm.org/tom/?m=201307&paged=3

And if you compare the woman on @DragonClaws 's picture and the following one, the woman really looks like Yuen Qiu.

kimshihyeon1978-fivebrothers.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 1:09 PM, ShawAngela said:

And if you compare the woman on @DragonClaws 's picture and the following one, the woman really looks like Yuen Qiu.

It's looking more and more likely to be her @ShawAngela, appreciate your efforts.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The Dragon's Snake Fist (South Korea, 1981: Kim Si-Hyeon) - Fairly entertaining South Korean kung fu movie starring fan favorite Dragon Lee, which I guess was picked up for international distribution by Godfrey Ho and Tomas Tang, as their names are plastered all over the English credits. The master of the...*cough*...Snake Clan (Kim Ki-Ju, Dragon Lee Fights Back and Revenge of Drunken Master) defeats the master of the...*sigh*...Crane school (Martin Chui, of Masters of Tiger Crane) and breaks his leg. Years later, Snake master sends his best students, including Dragon Lee, into the world to spread the Snake Spirit. When the son of the Crane Master (Kim Ki-Hong, of Dragon, the Young Master) finds out that it was the Snake clan that crippled his father years before, he systematically murders all the Snake students, closes down their schools and kills the master. Now Dragon Lee must fight for revenge, honor and the good of the Snake Spirit.

If you can ignore that the the "snake" and "crane" styles are barely more than tae kwon do and hapkido dressed up with some kung fu-ish handwork, the action (credited to a Simpson Yuen), isn't bad. It's actually quite lively, full of all sorts of kicking--this is a Korean film after all--and the occasional bizarre touch. Chang Yi Tao, or Bruce Lai, shows up as a master of the iron ring technique, and one of the Crane villains uses some torches that he blows fire with. The main villain fights with a cane and acupuncture needles, and pressure points figure into a lot of the fighting as a whole. I haven't seen enough Dragon Lee movies to say if this is one of his better films, but this is one of the movies he did that I enjoyed the most, ranking up there with Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger. For Kung Fu Hustle fans,  Yuen Qiu shows up as the villain's daughter, and does some acrobatics and tai chi sword in her limited fight scenes. I liked this better than Last Fist of Fury, Champ vs. Champ and Clones of Bruce Lee, if that means anything.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

If you can ignore that the the "snake" and "crane" styles are barely more than tae kwon do and hapkido dressed up with some kung fu-ish handwork, the action (credited to a Simpson Yuen), isn't bad. It's actually quite lively, full of all sorts of kicking--this is a Korean film after all--and the occasional bizarre touch.

What struck me about these early 1980's Korean films, when I first watched them. Is how much more energy they seemed to have, even when the choreoraphy was sub-par. They had a dinstinctly different pace to the Hong Kong/Taiwanese choreogrpahy I was used to.

18 hours ago, saltysam said:

36 Deadly Styles

Hwang Jang Lee with silver hair directed by Joseph Kuo should be good but this one is fairly average. Cheung Nick is the hero but the film is largely incoherent. Bolo as Hwang's right hand man appears to be wearing a mop on his head.Some ok action, the vengeance video DVD is english dubbed and wideish at least.

Recall picking up this Vengeance DVD release when it first came out, along with some Korean Dragon Lee flick. Which may have been Five Pattern Dragon Claws. The ultimate villainous pairing of swift super kick Hwang Jang-Lee and the hulking Bolo Yeung is greatly under used. Perhaps the producers felt there pairing alone, was enough to wow audiences back then?. The two had already buildt up a big reputation as screen vaillians, by the time 36 Deadly Styles was released.

• Like 2

South Shaolin Vs North Shaolin

Cheaply made kung fu actioner, starring Casanova Wong as a young shaolin monk and Eagle Han as a badass general. Watchable, not great. The Vengeance Video DVD is one of their better efforts, though grainy it's fully wide (english dubbed)

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

South Shaolin Vs North Shaolin

Cheaply made kung fu actioner, starring Casanova Wong as a young shaolin monk and Eagle Han as a badass general. Watchable, not great. The Vengeance Video DVD is one of their better efforts, though grainy it's fully wide (english dubbed)

Did you notice the Ghostbusters music in it?

• Like 2