The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Raid/340029192688592#!/pages/The-Raid/340029192688592?sk=info

SPC have created its Facebook page, which confirms that it'll only be playing in NY and LA on March 23rd! it does say coming soon to a city near you though, so maybe they're gonna wait a couple weeks or a month, and then open it wide?

That's terrible news for me:cry:

Guest Yi-Long

Please don't let them fuck this up. Please don't let them fuck this up. Please don't let them fuck this up. Please don't let them fuck this up. Please don't let them fuck this up. Please don't let them fuck this up.

yeah, bad news for me too! I thought it was gonna be limited on the 23rd, but not limited to only NY/LA! I had been hoping that Chicago would get it that day, then it's only a 3-hour drive. I'm hoping they'll do like Kung Fu Hustle, and 2 weeks later this will be in virtually every theater around, but it's hard to tell at this point. Been thinking about moving back to NY state though, if I could land a job there in the next couple months, maybe I could go down to the city on the 23rd! otherwise, the wait just got longer. the good news though is that they're actually releasing this on time, and the wait for the DVD won't be nearly as long. Hopefully June-July, or no later than August

yeah, bad news for me too! I thought it was gonna be limited on the 23rd, but not limited to only NY/LA! I had been hoping that Chicago would get it that day, then it's only a 3-hour drive. I'm hoping they'll do like Kung Fu Hustle, and 2 weeks later this will be in virtually every theater around, but it's hard to tell at this point. Been thinking about moving back to NY state though, if I could land a job there in the next couple months, maybe I could go down to the city on the 23rd! otherwise, the wait just got longer. the good news though is that they're actually releasing this on time, and the wait for the DVD won't be nearly as long. Hopefully June-July, or no later than August

Considering how long we've been waiting already, waiting longer seems like slow torture. Plus is there a guarantee that there's gonna be an eventual wide release?

unfortunately, I don't think there's any guarantee. Todd Brown had said they would test the waters with a limited, and then open it as wide as possible as long as people are supporting it. "coming soon to a city near you" sounds hopeful on the FB page, but I'd be more at ease seeing specific dates/cities

NY and LA to start! No one knows how "wide" a release it will be. All we know is Sony Pictures Classics is releasing the US scored version in US on 3-23. Other countries (wow china is on board too?) will be also released (No word on the Indonesian Score for those versions).

Also, some reviews from around the world.

All I am saying for the Blu Ray, add the S.W.A.T watch they are wearing to the Release :smile:

Would VOD be a good idea for this film?

That would be good. I've associated VOD with films not widely seen but good films in their genre nonetheless. Unless there's an issue with distribution, I do not see why not.

As much as I want to see this movie, I dont think that flying or renting a car for it is a good idea. lol I'd rather just take that money and rent/buy it a few times on VOD.

OpiumKungFuCracker
As much as I want to see this movie, I dont think that flying or renting a car for it is a good idea. lol I'd rather just take that money and rent/buy it a few times on VOD.

Very true, economically wise just wait for it to play near you... But I need an excuse to go to LA anyways, haven't been to that city in over 20 yrs, I'm sure there is something to do and I get to leave work, hooray!!!!

If it makes any difference, the sound design in The Raid is one of the best I've heard in any movie of all types. I'm glad I saw it in a theatre, and plan on seeing it at least a few times if it comes back to my area for that reason.

you know, looking at how Kung Fu Hustle was handled 7 years ago, we might be in for a repeat. It played at Toronto, then Sundance, then opened NY/LA, and 2 weeks later it opened wide. The Raid has hit 3 of those 4 marks, so due to them saying "coming soon to a city near you," we can only hope that 1-2 weeks later this'll be in theaters all across the country

OpiumKungFuCracker
Dadgummit! Lucky dawg!

Can I crash with you, bro?:tongue:

:tongue: I'm trying to think If I should just drive up there and see if I'm lucky enough to snatch a ticket or spend $500 bucks just to attend the film festival so I can be sure to get into the screening..

Now they do sell tickets individually for SXSW but I read that tickets go onsale 15mins prior to the movie start... Either way I'm getting shafted on both ends here, lol...

http://collider.com/gareth-evans-the-raid-raid-sequel-interview/141784/

in this interview from Sundance, Gareth Evans states that for the US release, the plan is to go NY/LA the first week, and then expand wider the following week, depending upon how well it does. Still think I'll try and go down to nyc on the 23rd to see it, provided I'm in NY state that week.

Saw this on Twitch.com

Sony Pre-Buys Gareth Huw Evans' BERANDAL

So you're sitting there reading all the cools news about Gareth Huw Evans' festival smash The Raid and you say to yourself that you got to get a ticket on that train. Well you sure as heck better hurry up because studios like Sony in the U.S. and Alliance/Momentum here in Canada are already scooping up rights for the sequel Berandal.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has pre-bought U.S., Latin American and Spanish rights to the upcoming sequel to Indonesian action feature The Raid... Alliance/Momentum has pre-bought for the United Kingdom and Canada; Koch Media has acquired the film for German speaking territories; Korea Screen has pre-bought Korea; and HGC has pre-bought China. Deals for other major territories are currently in negotiations.

This is awesome news. It helps secure the budget for Berandal and as soon as Evans and his star Iko Uwais are ready they'll begin filming and we'll be right here, ready to have our minds blown once again.

Great news

Saw this on Twitch.com

Sony Pre-Buys Gareth Huw Evans' BERANDAL

So you're sitting there reading all the cools news about Gareth Huw Evans' festival smash The Raid and you say to yourself that you got to get a ticket on that train. Well you sure as heck better hurry up because studios like Sony in the U.S. and Alliance/Momentum here in Canada are already scooping up rights for the sequel Berandal.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group has pre-bought U.S., Latin American and Spanish rights to the upcoming sequel to Indonesian action feature The Raid... Alliance/Momentum has pre-bought for the United Kingdom and Canada; Koch Media has acquired the film for German speaking territories; Korea Screen has pre-bought Korea; and HGC has pre-bought China. Deals for other major territories are currently in negotiations.

This is awesome news. It helps secure the budget for Berandal and as soon as Evans and his star Iko Uwais are ready they'll begin filming and we'll be right here, ready to have our minds blown once again.

Great news

Wow. Distributors worldwide buying rights to a movie that has not even begun filming yet. That's extraordinary. Perfect timing for Gareth and crew as they start the sequel this month.

hopefully we'll see a commercial for The Raid during the superbowl. not likely to happen, but it'd be a great way to let a lot of people know about it

OpiumKungFuCracker
hopefully we'll see a commercial for The Raid during the superbowl. not likely to happen, but it'd be a great way to let a lot of people know about it

As much as I would like to see that, I'd prefer this movie to have a cult status for the demographic audience..

Not sure about a DVD release, but here are a bit on news from Dark Horizons:

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group have pre-bought U.S., Latin American and Spanish rights to the in the works sequel to Gareth Evans' Indonesian action feature smash "The Raid" reports Deadline.

The original has played like gangbusters on the film festival circuit since last Fall ahead of a limited theatrical release late next month. A Hollywood remake is already in the works.

Evans and actor Iko Uwais will return for the sequel which begins shooting at the end of the year in Jakarta and will have a "significantly larger budget". Story details are being kept under wraps.

On the Hollywood remake side, a script writer has been found:

Brad Ingelsby ("The Low Dweller," "Run All Night") has been hired to pen the script for the remake of "The Raid" at Screen Gems and XYZ Films says Deadline.

The Gareth Evans-directed Indonesian martial arts film follows the surviving members of a police riot squad who've become trapped in a derelict apartment building with the worst criminals in the city.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group scored both domestic distribution and remake rights back at Cannes last year. The original is slated for release by Sony Pictures Classics on March 23rd."

Is it me or does a remake seem a little unusual? Iko Uwais is obviously a talent so how would they replace him in a Hollywood version? That's like remaking "Ong Bak."