The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Agreed. And I like Statham.......but not for this.

Many of the posters beneath the review were all calling for Scott Adkins and I think that'd be great. One even suggested that Mark Dacascos play the villain which I think would be a superb idea. My right eye begins to twitch at the idea of a throwdown between the 2 of them. I'd love for that to happen.

The writer of the article is a producer for XYZ Films and is soliciting suggestions.

This would be cool. But if a major studio gets involved, you know they'll want a bankable name to star and they'll fake everything else.

I like the part in your quote where it says we're hoping to showcase a fistful of them, so not just one or two! Now that would be cool. Isn't there already a big studio involved? it could be they have some input but let's hope that the cost of the project isn't too high, we might see more martial arts talent that way? Looking from the most positive point of view and say they get a handful of proper martial arts talent, let's hope they don't piss all the way not spending enough time in making the fights look good. I wonder who the action director is?

Guest Yi-Long

I'd like to see Johnny Nguyen in the movie.

But TBH, Any talented acrobat/martial artist/screenfighter would be nice, compared to the usual stiffs they get whenever a big studio gets involved and just focusses on name-recognition instead fo actual skill.

so what do people think the release schedule will turn out to be in the US for The Raid? assuming that it will still come out here before the remake, which it has been said that it will, what cities are likely to get it besides NY/LA?

ShaOW!linDude

@ b_s

May be a bit early but I hope they land Larnell Stovall. I really dig his choreography.

@ Yi-Long

Good call on Johnny Nguyen. Plus, he already speaks English and quite well at that.

@ mark187

Don't hold my feet to the fire about this but I thought I read somewhere that it be in late January. A story I recall reading said something like a Stateside release might coincide with the international release. Of course, I may be remembering that wrong. I'll try to find it again.

I'd like to see Johnny Nguyen in the movie.

But TBH, Any talented acrobat/martial artist/screenfighter would be nice, compared to the usual stiffs they get whenever a big studio gets involved and just focusses on name-recognition instead fo actual skill.

I agree he's a great choice and one of many I would like to see. I just hope they don't get a load of MMA guys.:squigglemouth:

May be a bit early but I hope they land Larnell Stovall. I really dig his choreography.

yeah, what has movies he done?

Damn you george lucas!!!!

I couldn't agree more, Damn you george lucas!!!! :tongue:

@ShaOW!linDude

yeah, I read that somewhere too. I'm hoping it can be confirmed though, and that wasn't just wishful thinking. also, I'm hoping that this can play in Chicago, Detroit, or somewhere else besides NY/LA. I guess Todd Brown did say a while back he expects somewhere between limited/wide, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what that means. he also said on this remake article to expect a release date announced soon, so hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer to find out!

The Raid had its Indonesia premiere last night at INAFF, and based upon the reactions on Twitter and the new reviews out there, the response has been equally ecstatic! the bad/good news seems to be this though. bad news is the Indonesia release date will no longer be in January, but pushed back a little bit. I'm reading on Twitter it will be in (circa) March/April, but I don't know if there's official confirmation of that yet. the good news is that it sounds like March or April will be some sort of a global release for the film, I read it may be released in 50 countries simultaneously! I'm also thinking this might have its US premiere at the Palm Springs Int FF in January. I'm sure Gareth will fill us in on all the details as soon as he can.

http://www.boleh.com/news/read/movie_news_index/6515_the_raid_diundur_penayangannya_di_indonesia_hingga_april_inilah_komentar_gareth_evans

While the site's been down, some big news has come up. The Raid will be released in the US via Sony Pictures Classics in Spring 2012, although no set release date has been announced. Also, it will have its US premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/12/the-raid-will-punch-sundance-in-the-face.php

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/sony-pictures-classics-will-send-the-raid-to-punch-you-in-the-face-in-spring-2012.php

While the site's been down, some big news has come up. The Raid will be released in the US via Sony Pictures Classics in Spring 2012, although no set release date has been announced. Also, it will have its US premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in January!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/12/the-raid-will-punch-sundance-in-the-face.php

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/sony-pictures-classics-will-send-the-raid-to-punch-you-in-the-face-in-spring-2012.php

1. The 2nd trailer is terrible. They used the first one and added a couple more shots of the action. At least show some originality.

2. Will this US release be DUBBED?

3. The second score on the trailer is no where as good as the original

I know once Garth signed over to the deal with Sony, there is little he can change now.

Now there was NOTHING wrong with the January Indonesian release - original soundtrack and voices. I'm assuming the Spring 2012 release is going to be a WAAYYYYY better film than what was screened in September 2011.

I'm sure it won't be dubbed, not for the theatrical release. Sony Pictures Classics is the distributor now. When the DVD/BD eventually come out, they will likely contain the original language track and an English dubbed track. The only thing I'm wondering is about the censorship of violence. SPCs releases of Brother, House of Flying Daggers, and Kung Fu Hustle all had cut violence and/or digital blood removal. Todd Brown said it hasn't gone before the MPAA yet though, but he said it's possible the US version could end up being more complete than the Indonesian version due to censorship policies in Indonesia. Ultimately, I think the only difference will be the music score. The first trailer that showed up had some of the music that Mike Shinoda had done, this new one has the music from the original score. It's still possible I guess that the home video releases will contain both scores though, as Gareth said he would try to negotiate that with Sony. I've applied for a position at Sundance next month, with the hopes of getting experience and seeing this film. If I get the job, I'll let you guys know how it is.

oh well, unfortunately I didn't get the job at Sundance, so no early reviews from me. but I saw that Gareth has now announced that the release date for The Raid will now definitely be in March, but he hasn't yet announced the date.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Raid-with-Perantau/186478764723408

not long ago, Gareth Evans had confirmed on Twitter that the release date for The Raid will now be in March 2012, and it looks like the date has now been set for March 23rd, albeit a limited release in the US.

Edit: It's official, March 23rd is the release date! Gareth Evans just tweeted this link from Time

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/01/05/the-20-movies-were-looking-forward-to-in-2012-and-the-10-were-definitely-not/?iid=ent-main-lede#disqus_thread

Now the question is what cities will it play in?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Raid-with-Perantau/186478764723408

Edit: It's official, March 23rd is the release date! Gareth Evans just tweeted this link from Time

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/01/05/the-20-movies-were-looking-forward-to-in-2012-and-the-10-were-definitely-not/?iid=ent-main-lede#disqus_thread

Now the question is what cities will it play in?

Good News. In the US you are safe with New York City and Los Angeles, California. These places faired well for Tony Jaa's releases.

I think it's time to start booking.

ShaOW!linDude

Surely the good word of mouth this is receiving will garner it a little bit wider distribution that just those 2 cities. (Wishful thinking on my part, I know.)

yeah, according to Gareth Evans on Twitter, it will apparently play more than just NY and LA. I'm hoping it will play in Chicago or Detroit, and on the 23rd. I'm about 3 hrs from either, and would be more than happy to make the drive to see this. Hopefully it will hit theaters near all of you as well!