The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/screen-gems-planning-remake-of-indonesian-tiff-winner-the-raid/

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/toronto-the-raid-helmer-gareth-evans-signs-with-management-360/

the Hollywood vultures have already snatched up The Raid for an American remake...

Meanwhile, apparently after Berandal, Gareth Evans plans to make a Hollywood film.

the Hollywood vultures have already snatched up The Raid for an American remake...

i attended the world premiere screening of The Raid at TIFF earlier this month; the film is indeed fantastic. i'm not surprised a remake is in the works. for my money, however, the original is what I'll be watching again, again and again ;)

I very mucham looking forward to TYG 2 as well, but right now I'm looking forward to The Raid more than anything else. wheredid you hear that Jeeja has finished Chocolate 2? last I heard, it was postponed due to needing to film in Japan, and Prachya Pinkaew decided to film TYG2 first. to me, and from the reaction at TIFF,it sounds like The Raid willbe the breakthrough film needed to establish Iko Uwais as amajor martial arts star. Merantau was good, but it didn't do for Iko what Ong Bak did for Tony Jaa. I think The Raid will likelychange things, and it's frustrating to hear al this talk of remaking it and having the possibility(not definitely) of Sony shelving it in favor of a remake, and then releasing it a couple years down the line.I hope Sony sees the potential this film has and releases it ASAP!

It sounds like there will only be 1 cut of The Raid, Gareth mentioned that on his blog I think. I think the only difference with the US release will be the new music score done by Mike Shinoda. other than that, I'm pretty sure they will leave it in its original language for the theatrical release. I think nowadays it would no longer be considered acceptable to release a dubbed movie in theaters.

-sighhhhh-

http://www.hkaff.asia/craze/film3.html

for those in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Asian Film Festival will be showing The Raid next month. It will also close out the Indonesia International Fantastic Film Festival in Nov. before opening up there in January. and as a side note, it does sound like maybe this whole remake thing might not affect international releases much or at all. Twitch posted on twitter there's a reason that they are not reporting that remake news from THR, and both Gareth Evans and Todd Brown themselves said it's far from a done deal. Nevertheless, I wish we could hurry up and get some international release dates for places like the US, UK, Australia, HK, etc., and hopefully early 2012? maybe Gareth can fill us in w/ some info next time he posts on the forum

All I know is I could loop that trailer for an hour and a half and be more entertained than 95% of the crap coming out of Hollywood or China.

I haven't been this stoked for a movie for a long time!

I read last night on an Indonesian news site dated Sept. 26th after translating (can't find the source) that the producers apparently have said they tentatively plan to release The Raid in both Indonesia and America in unison. they felt that (circa) January would be a good time to release it so it wouldn't "clash with American films." hopefully this will turn out to be the case. makes sense since January is usually a slow month for Hollywood anyway. maybe they release it in January and find out they have a sleeper hit on their hands!

wheredid you hear that Jeeja has finished Chocolate 2? last I heard, it was postponed due to needing to film in Japan, and Prachya Pinkaew decided to film TYG2 first...

From JeeJaa's facebook. Actually they are shooting back to back as alot of the cast and crew are featured in both films! They will definitely hear of the Raid and have to bring their A game, because the Raid will be out in full force before either of them see a Thai release.

and it's frustrating to hear all this talk of remaking it and having the possibility(not definitely) of Sony shelving it in favor of a remake, and then releasing it a couple years down the line.I hope Sony sees the potential this film has and releases it ASAP!

Couldn't agree with you more. From the reviews I am reading, the original score was JUST fine. I hope it's not an excuse to lay over an ENG dubb while working on the score. Kudos though, it will be double the marketing and from the trailer (which used the Park's sample score) it won't be that bad.

I've yet to find a BAD review on this film:

1. Bloody Disgusting Horror reviewed it saying "The Raid is by no means a horror movie, but it plays out like the most epic zombie movie ever created – it’s easily one of the most violent and bloody films in history, yes, EVER.". That is from a website that knows the horror genre in and out.

2. Variety compliments the director's talent in not only filming and editing fight sequences, but his ability to pace the story and action (which is apparently free of plot holes) with the audiences expectations of not just a fight movie, but a good film overall. "The ensuing 90 minutes are largely a hand-to-hand, fist-to-face, foot-to-groin battle, with a few machetes and guns tossed in for good measure. Pic manages to create the sensation of a kind of live-action ride, where Evans as conductor modulates the rise and fall of action, and alternates pace and volume, with selected interludes of story to catch one's breath. The effect is exhilarating for viewers open to the sheer visceral sensation of the physical experience, regardless of one's predilection toward fight pics. "

Variety has a point. In watching Merantau again, the pacing and drama are pieced together well. When you watch Tom Yum Goong for example, you get the feeling its a showcase reel of the protagonists ability (over the top) without the handy work of a director that can incorporate the actors' skills into a paced story with plot elements.

And THEN we have major distributors snatching up the film prior to the screening (Toronto). This could be the first martial arts film to get the original release date internationally - as opposed to the 6 month to 1 year waiting period we've have had over the last 40 years.

Guest Yi-Long

It's getting all positive reviews....

... so why exactly do we need the guy from Linkin Park to come in and change the existing soundtrack? I hate that SO much it ain't even funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/releaseinfo

according to imdb, it will play at the Stockholm International Film Festival in Sweden on Nov 11th

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/tv-film/linkin-park-s-mike-shinoda-to-appear-at-1005427482.story

Likewise, Mike Shinoda appeared at a Billboard conference today to discuss the score he is doing, and more info will be coming out shortly on that. This Billboard article from 4 days ago mentions that Sony will release The Raid early next year. I'm really starting to feel that the stars have "alligned" for this particular film, and it will get international releases close to the Indonesian release date for once! hopefully, this will pave the way for quicker releases of more films internationally in the future

It's getting all positive reviews....

... so why exactly do we need the guy from Linkin Park to come in and change the existing soundtrack? I hate that SO much it ain't even funny.

I must admit the news of the soundtrack change has dampened my interest in the movie. Gareth please, please, please try and get the original soundtrack version on the DVD alongside this new one. At least that way we can choose what version to watch and shouldn't take up too much disk space as it will only be an additional soundtrack .:neutral:

Hey guys,

Stuff has been just a tad busy the last month or so. Apologies for the absence. I'll just clear up some of the info and questions asked since we completed the film.

Soundtrack

The whole deal with Mike coming in to do an alternate soundtrack was something discussed while I was still in production on the film. We sold the rights during the Cannes Film Market and I was actually still shooting a scene when I took the call and Sony asked about having a soundtrack tailor made for the US release of the film.

It's something I'm genuinely excited about, I'm absolutely proud of my composers work on the film - but having someone of Mike's caliber working alongside Joe Trapanese (he worked with Daft Punk on the Tron soundtrack) I get the best of both worlds by seeing how another artist interprets my work.

Me and Mike spoke a lot about the style of music to be used in the film, it's all about creating atmosphere and finding the right moments for the music to come in big and when to sit in the background. He is a classically trained pianist and is approaching it as a "score" not just a series of tracks, I think any naysayers are going to be pleasantly surprised by the result.

But for those of you who are concerned about the original score, one of my first stipulations when we agreed on the deal was that the original soundtrack would be included in DVD/Blu Ray formats when released. My arguments were the same as yours - it doesn't take up that much disc space to add the extra audio track. But more importantly, me and the guys who worked on the music also designed the sound mix and we worked our arses off in those final stages of post-production. And they are people I respect and absolutely want to continue to work with, so for sure I'm doing everything in my power to protect their work.

Remake

This is on the cards, but until now nothing has been finalized with anyone yet. There's a lot of rumours out there. All I can say is, I don't have a problem with it happening at all. Whatever happens it is going to expose a lot more people to the original version, and this kind of deal if it goes through helps us significantly to edge closer to breaking even on our investment in The Raid and possibly help us push forwards with a new film. Financing a film in Indonesia is so difficult, after Merantau we spent over a year and a half trying to get Berandal off the ground and it proved impossible at the time. Fingers crossed after the success of The Raid it will open a few more doors for us to finally be able to go back and get Berandal ready to shoot next year.

No I won't be directing the remake myself, I've chosen to focus on the sequel instead (something we began developing while I was still writing the script for The Raid). For me the concept of The Raid is stripped down enough to allow a filmmaker to put their own fresh spin on it and do something completely different with the action.

Release Dates

There's nothing confirmed or locked in yet, once there is any info on release dates we will announce something. But I can say that the interest is there from a number of distributors for release dates in some major territories to be relatively close together. We're not going to be in a situation where the film is out in cinemas in Indonesia and then you guys don't get to see anything for another year or so. Can't say much more than that, but yeah you won't have to wait too long.

We were lucky enough to sell the rights to the film to every territory possible, so I hope that next year wherever you are in the world you can see the film, and not through a torrent :)

Meanwhile, we're hitting some more festivals before the end of the year - this week we hit Doha and Hong Kong, then we will have festival screenings in Indonesia, Stockholm and Torino leading us through to December.

Any other screenings after that are yet to be confirmed.

Hey guys,

Stuff has been just a tad busy the last month or so. Apologies for the absence. I'll just clear up some of the info and questions asked since we completed the film.

Soundtrack

The whole deal with Mike coming in to do an alternate soundtrack was something discussed while I was still in production on the film. We sold the rights during the Cannes Film Market and I was actually still shooting a scene when I took the call and Sony asked about having a soundtrack tailor made for the US release of the film.

It's something I'm genuinely excited about, I'm absolutely proud of my composers work on the film - but having someone of Mike's caliber working alongside Joe Trapanese (he worked with Daft Punk on the Tron soundtrack) I get the best of both worlds by seeing how another artist interprets my work.

Me and Mike spoke a lot about the style of music to be used in the film, it's all about creating atmosphere and finding the right moments for the music to come in big and when to sit in the background. He is a classically trained pianist and is approaching it as a "score" not just a series of tracks, I think any naysayers are going to be pleasantly surprised by the result.

But for those of you who are concerned about the original score, one of my first stipulations when we agreed on the deal was that the original soundtrack would be included in DVD/Blu Ray formats when released. My arguments were the same as yours - it doesn't take up that much disc space to add the extra audio track. But more importantly, me and the guys who worked on the music also designed the sound mix and we worked our arses off in those final stages of post-production. And they are people I respect and absolutely want to continue to work with, so for sure I'm doing everything in my power to protect their work.

That is brilliant news about the DVD having the original score alongside the new one and I assume that won't just be in the states but UK too? I'm very interested to see how both scores work with the film and I'm a little more intrigued about the new one now I know it's not just a series of tracks. I had this terrible image in my mind of the film being ruined by a poor musical choice.

Guest Yi-Long
Hey guys,

No problem, man. I think everyone understands you've got a lot of stuff going on. I'm actually surprised my bitching and moaning didn't scare you away :P

Soundtrack

That's great news, and I'm glad you personally insisted on this. I really wish all filmmakers would make sure that the fans wouldn't have to 'suffer' a release without the original soundtrack/language, and obviously the same goes for different cuts...

Thanks you so much, and keep up the great work. :)

Guest Yi-Long
All I can say is a better use real martial arts talent and not somebody like Jason Statham

I agree Statham isn't a good on-screen martial artist, nor do I like him for his acting or whatever....

... but TBH, I really couldn't care less about remakes and what they do to them, as long as we'll have the original to enjoy.

ShaOW!linDude
All I can say is a better use real martial arts talent and not somebody like Jason Statham

Agreed. And I like Statham.......but not for this.

Many of the posters beneath the review were all calling for Scott Adkins and I think that'd be great. One even suggested that Mark Dacascos play the villain which I think would be a superb idea. My right eye begins to twitch at the idea of a throwdown between the 2 of them. I'd love for that to happen.

The writer of the article is a producer for XYZ Films and is soliciting suggestions.

XYZ Films - executive producers on the original Indonesian version - will be serving as producers on the English version.

And, putting my producer hat on for a moment as I'm part of XYZ, fight fans speak up now: What English speaking fighters would you like to see in the remake? We're hoping to showcase a fistful of them, so speak up now.

This would be cool. But if a major studio gets involved, you know they'll want a bankable name to star and they'll fake everything else.