The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

OpiumKungFuCracker
He's referring to Jackie Chan.

Oh great now Jackie has a nickname now, Jesus guys I'm not hip to this stuff. First pops now Jack? What's Jet Li's nick, Jet????:tongue:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Good thing your not on FLK, cracker... or your head would explode trying to figure out who Big Nose, The Mayor and Rat Face are......

TibetanWhiteCrane

I believe Big Nose is Tsui Siu Keung, The Mayor is Wang Lung Wei and im not sure about the rest. Im not really up on the old school lingo from the UK scene.....

They got their own little world going over there at FLK....

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh my lord, I've been waiting for years for the original score. Who is with me that the original Indonesian score is way better than the Mike Shinoda one. Yes it's finally coming to vinyl!!!

https://soundcloud.com/deathwaltzrecs/sets/the-raid-aria-prayogi-fajar-yuskemal

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/raid-aria-prayogi-fajar-yuskemal-released-january-2015/

Secret Executioner
Oh my lord, I've been waiting for years for the original score. Who is with me that the original Indonesian score is way better than the Mike Shinoda one. Yes it's finally coming to vinyl!!!

https://soundcloud.com/deathwaltzrecs/sets/the-raid-aria-prayogi-fajar-yuskemal

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/raid-aria-prayogi-fajar-yuskemal-released-january-2015/

Sounds good - highly likely I'll buy the LP. :bigsmile:

On a sidenote, I still have NOT seen this film... :sad:

One Armed Boxer
On a sidenote, I still have NOT seen this film... :sad:

You have to get around to watching this soon, me & the other mods are currently in discussion to pass a bill of rights that bans anyone that hasn't seen 'The Raid'.:tongue:

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2012 at 2:06 AM, DiP said:

Just came back watching it. The film as a whole was nothing complex but at the same time it keeps you at the edge of your seat thanks to the tight direction. The cast was used for a good cause in that each of the main characters as both cops and criminals served their purpose and had a reason to progress the story. Acting could've gone more deep had they had equal focus as the action but for what it ended up being, it's perfectly legit.

Now, the action. Minus the employment of cheap-looking CGI in many set-pieces, I think extreme brutality and rawness of action scenes have now gone up a notch with The Raid. The only people that have done something similar are Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa. But with Iko Uwais presently on the scene, they and everyone else should start stepping up their MA game up to catch up. While I've got my high praise for the film's intensity and brutality, one criticism I have is the action choreography itself. I loved the fact that the action played out like a mix of Merantau (utilizing the style of silat), Tony Jaa flicks, and 80s Hong Kong choreography. The finishers (particularly Uwais using a knife!) in each fight scene were too damn a good sight as well. But carefully watching the fights I noticed the choreography gets very repetitive in some scenes, particularly scenes that last very long (5-7 min). It's at that point when the choreography gets all old-fashioned Hong Kong style on us with little of that exclusive style the Indonesians possess. I expected more variety seeing some people label The Raid the best action film in ten years (which I disagree with of course).

Overall, I really enjoyed the film and I agree with people that it's a film that will be hard to surpass in terms of raw violence. But the action - while done to great effect - leaves much more to be desired concept-wise because it's basically the choreographers mixing their silat with elements that we are already familiar with. But other than that, The Raid is a film I'm definitely going to watch again when it comes out on bluray.

Rating: 9/10

Watched it for the first time in 10 long years. My sentiment is pretty much the same as that all those years ago... Except that I've now grown enjoying the gunfights and the group fights more than the one-on-one fights. An unpopular opinion: Ruhian vs Taslim was more gratifying to watch than the 2-on-1 final fight. Evans' overall direction of everything truly shines, and still holds to this day.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

I've just watched the 4K UHD of The Raid with the brand new color grading and it's like seeing the film for the first time again. I know that sounds dramatic but seeing everything without that dark, greyish, bluish tint is truly magical. The film actually POPS and I was able to pick up so much more. Especially yhe nuances of the fight choreography. The violence also looks better since the blood is brighter and easier to see.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend watching this new version. The simply colr grading and upgrade in picture quality breathes new life into the film. Watching it again, for the first time in a while, I have fallen in love with it all over again.

• Like 3

I saw some stills of the 4K release at Twitter, and I'm loving the new color grading! Things look grittier and fittingly according to the story arc: People shooting and beating each other up in gruesome fashion.