The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

A little inside intel guy's. The remake is supposed to be directed by Gareth himself, with action to be handled by 87Eleven,[right now the rumor is Larnell Stovall].Lets Hope!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Do you guys really want to see the same film twice/ remake or not??? Are you not bored with cinema at this point??? Because I sure am but then again I'm a nobody!!!!!

odioustrident

The problem with a remake is that the premise / plot outline of the film is not as fresh as some people seem to think. The film excelled in its general execution and Carpenter "real time" pacing... which in itself has also been done a lot more than people realize.

Sorry for the ridiculous absence, i have been lurking like a creepy neighbour.

We've been overwhelmed by the response the film has had, huge thanks to all of you who went out and supported the film whether it be at the cinema or on blu ray / vod.

On the remake front - I'm not directing and I've never been attached to direct. I figure I've exhausted my ideas on what I could do with the concept and set up so I want whoever fills that seat to be given the same creative freedom I had to just go all out and come up with fresh action sequences.

The project is in development, but my interest has been and always will be to progress the story further with The Raid sequel "Berandal". We're currently in the final stages of pre-production with a shoot due to start in January. We're not just going to do a rehash of the first film, this is a much more involved story which fleshes out the characters and the universe. It also hopefully, will be a step up in terms of our choreography design and the scope of the production.

Just to touch on something said in an earlier post - "it's all about money" - it's not the case that everything in the industry is about making money - its simply that in order to do the things we want to put on screen, we have to spend money. And when some folk rightly or wrongly decide to not support your film at all until its released frame for frame as they want it (i know i'm speaking of only a small fraction of people) well then I need to pursue all avenues to make sure my investor is both happy and confident to spend his hard earned cash to allow me to blow shit up on screen. And that comes from distribution deals, local box office receipts, tv sales and yes, remake rights.

We've been overwhelmed by the response the film has had, huge thanks to all of you who went out and supported the film whether it be at the cinema or on blu ray / vod.

On the remake front - I'm not directing and I've never been attached to direct. I figure I've exhausted my ideas on what I could do with the concept and set up so I want whoever fills that seat to be given the same creative freedom I had to just go all out and come up with fresh action sequences.

The project is in development, but my interest has been and always will be to progress the story further with The Raid sequel "Berandal". We're currently in the final stages of pre-production with a shoot due to start in January. We're not just going to do a rehash of the first film, this is a much more involved story which fleshes out the characters and the universe. It also hopefully, will be a step up in terms of our choreography design and the scope of the production.

Just to touch on something said in an earlier post - "it's all about money" - it's not the case that everything in the industry is about making money - its simply that in order to do the things we want to put on screen, we have to spend money. And when some folk rightly or wrongly decide to not support your film at all until its released frame for frame as they want it (i know i'm speaking of only a small fraction of people) well then I need to pursue all avenues to make sure my investor is both happy and confident to spend his hard earned cash to allow me to blow shit up on screen. And that comes from distribution deals, local box office receipts, tv sales and yes, remake rights.

I appreciate all your hard work and look forward to Berandal and your short film on the sequel to VHS

Gareth what's up with the lack of original music score on the UK DVD (and Blu Ray)? You said it was going to be there(it was in the contract you signed) but only the US has it. :sad:

Thanks for the update.

As a huge fan of "The Raid," I'm exceptionally excited for "Berandal" and to hear it's going to be a step up, not only in terms of story but fight-wise too, doubles my anticipation for the film.

I'm interested to see how your segment in the sequel to "VHS" turns out too, but as this is a kung fu forum I'll keep that stuff to myself.

Wait, let me guess; you can only get the original score on the Blu-Ray version, right? The DVD doesn't have it?!

Hmm I'm not certain but I think the R1 DVD only has the new score in english dub & indonesian languages. Can someone tell me where it's located on the disc so I can watch with the original score?:squigglemouth:

oneskyforall

I am pretty sure the BR is the only one that has both scores, if you look through this thread you can find confirmation.

You can change it through the audio menu from the main menu screen.

Honestly, as I'm pretty sure others have said, the original score is pretty dull. The one Mike Shinoda did has more tension and build up in it and overall fits the movie better.

I am pretty sure the BR is the only one that has both scores, if you look through this thread you can find confirmation.

You can change it through the audio menu from the main menu screen.

Honestly, as I'm pretty sure others have said, the original score is pretty dull. The one Mike Shinoda did has more tension and build up in it and overall fits the movie better.

I have been following the thread and the only reason I picked up the region one DVD was because members confirmed its existence on that disc as well as the Blu-ray . I'm saddened to think having waited so long so I could get both scores on one disc, I could've bought the UK version for half the price, which also had better artwork if I didn't want the original score.:sad:

oneskyforall

Bob did tell you a few pages back that the R1 DVD does have the original soundtrack, I knew I remembered seeing that as well.

The only thing I can say is message him and ask where he found it or mess around with menu settings until you get it!

I just remember that I picked the BR over the DVD because the box art on the DVD said nothing about the original score but the BR back cover did mention the original soundtrack along with Shinoda's.

EDIT: Okay I just popped in my BR to remember how I selected the original music track.

Top Menu > Languages > Audio >

Then it gives you the option of Original Music or Music by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda

If you pick Original Music then the next menu only gives you the option of Indonesian Audio.

If you pick the Shinoda track you can choose from Indonesian, English, Portuguese, or Spanish.

Hope that helps to clear things up!

If it is actually hidden on the DVD and not in the menus for some reason then you could try using the audio button on your remote until the music track changes.

Bob did tell you a few pages back that the R1 DVD does have the original soundtrack, I knew I remembered seeing that as well.

The only thing I can say is message him and ask where he found it or mess around with menu settings until you get it!

I just remember that I picked the BR over the DVD because the box art on the DVD said nothing about the original score but the BR back cover did mention the original soundtrack along with Shinoda's.

EDIT: Okay I just popped in my BR to remember how I selected the original music track.

Top Menu > Languages > Audio >

Then it gives you the option of Original Music or Music by Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda

If you pick Original Music then the next menu only gives you the option of Indonesian Audio.

If you pick the Shinoda track you can choose from Indonesian, English, Portuguese, or Spanish.

Hope that helps to clear things up!

If it is actually hidden on the DVD and not in the menus for some reason then you could try using the audio button on your remote until the music track changes.

Hopefully Bob will read this and post here as I'm sure others will want to know this too.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yes, it has:

1. the original soundtrack

2. the new music soundtrack

3. an English dub

4. an audio commentary by the director.

5. Portugese audio

6. Spanish (Castilian) audio

7. Spanish (Latin) audio

Hopefully Bob will read this and post here as I'm sure others will want to know this too.

Hmmm... was someone trying to tell me this? I posted that the original music was available on the R1 DVD back in post #701. You pick it in the menu's "audio options". If there is another question for me, please feel free to ask here and I'll check back later.

Hmmm... was someone trying to tell me this? I posted that the original music was available on the R1 DVD back in post #701. You pick it in the menu's "audio options". If there is another question for me, please feel free to ask here and I'll check back later.

Thanks Bob. It seems later R1 prints DO NOT have all those sound tracks :sad:

I got mine in Best Buy in Poughkeepsie, NY and it only has 3 sound tracks

3. an English dub

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks Bob. It seems later R1 prints DO NOT have all those sound tracks :sad:

I got mine in Best Buy in Poughkeepsie, NY and it only has 3 sound tracks

3. an English dub

Oh man, really? :squigglemouth: That sucks!

Just so you know, I would never write any details like that on a hunch, or based strictly on what's written on the DVD sleeve or anything. I only post info of things I've checked personally.

That is really weird. I feel terrible for you and any other people that purchased it and got shafted. But I also feel lucky that mine has it!

You checked by clicking on the audio options in the main menu? Did you also try getting there by just clicking the "audio" button on your DVD player remote? Occasionally I'll get a disc that doesn't list different audio options in the menu, but when you click the audio button on the remote you discover alternate tracks as you repeatedly press it. Once I even accidentally discovered an unlisted audio commentary on a DVD! I can't remember which movie it was, but I kind of remember thinking "This is on a mainstream release and they didn't bother to list it on the DVD cover?" I'm fairly certain that on Media Blasters DVD release of HEROES TWO they didn't mention our friend Linn Hayes' audio commentary. I think I read that it was because the AC was delivered too late to get a new cover approved by IVL before they had to go to press. But I think they corrected it on the Blu-Ray release.

Oh man, really? :squigglemouth: That sucks!

Just so you know, I would never write any details like that on a hunch, or based strictly on what's written on the DVD sleeve or anything. I only post info of things I've checked personally.

That is really weird. I feel terrible for you and any other people that purchased it and got shafted. But I also feel lucky that mine has it!

You checked by clicking on the audio options in the main menu? Did you also try getting there by just clicking the "audio" button on your DVD player remote? Occasionally I'll get a disc that doesn't list different audio options in the menu, but when you click the audio button on the remote you discover alternate tracks as you repeatedly press it. .

yeah I know you wouldn't deliberately tell anyone the wrong DVD specifications. I just wish I had ordered sooner so I would have the same as you.

I did actually try everything you suggested and was just hoping it was in a hidden menu was something. Anyway at least I have the movie now.:smile:

okay so I have finally watched The Raid Redemption and I really enjoyed the movie. Perhaps I was expecting too much so maybe was a little disappointed not to be more blown away by it. I was kind of surprised how brutal and bloody the movie turned out to be. It was definitely one of the most violent action movies I've seen in a long while. I don't know if they had a mix of practical and CGI effects, or just some of the CGI was better than others. Anyway some of the CGI looked very good and some didn't.

One thing I really didn't like was the shaky cameras and constant movement when it wasn't necessary. I hope Gareth Evans minimises that in the sequel! I also think it would be cool if he managed to film some longer single shot fight sequences with fewer cuts.

I'm afraid I can't think of much else to say other than while I enjoyed it I preferred his first movie Merantau and look forward to Gareth and Iko's next collaboration.

hanshotfirst

The DVD version I got from my local library only had the Shinoda score with the Indonesian dialogue and the English dub. Shame. I have to stop dragging my feel and buy a Blu-Ray player, but there's the region-free issue and the need for an HDTV... Ah, decisions, decisions.

blue_skies
The DVD version I got from my local library only had the Shinoda score with the Indonesian dialogue and the English dub. Shame. I have to stop dragging my feel and buy a Blu-Ray player, but there's the region-free issue and the need for an HDTV... Ah, decisions, decisions.

Buy now for only $10 @ Amazon, maybe get a player/tv later???

http://www.amazon.com/Raid-Redemption-Blu-ray-Iko-Uwais/dp/B0085A9HXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1367515387&sr=1-1&keywords=the+raid+redemption+blu

oneskyforall

Best Buy also has the BluRay in the $9.99 section now if anyone is still slacking on buying this movie.

Had it for a long time, just watched it. Damn they really got it right. It's linear. Straight from the gate, it only deals with what its about and nothing else. That was an incredible thing to see.

It felt like a horror movie. It was brutal and a bit unsettling. I've seen violence before, but that was hard stuff.

That silat was lovely stuff. Lots of elbows, knees, sweeps, leg attacks. I was a bit surprised by the length of the fights. For some reason, I was expecting them to be shorter. Bash ups like that and all. I was enjoyably wrong. Very tactical action(the guns, knives, attacks), yet they put in many technical exchanges(counters and such). Very martial action.

MDog was the ish, as well as Taslim. My only quip is with Iko. He moves too much like Jack. He's a body language screen fighter and it takes the bite off of much of what he does. It makes a lot of his strikes look weaker that everyone else's. He always bases out his feet like Jack, to accept the coming exchanges. Kar Lok did the same. Instead of knocking out his sequence, he would have too much total body movement and action. So will understand others won't but it keeps catching my eye. It was that that kept me from getting into Merantau's action, except for the elevator fight.

Straight forward, linear, and an unobtrusive camera. Loved it.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Had it for a long time, just watched it. Damn they really got it right. It's linear. Straight from the gate, it only deals with what its about and nothing else. That was an incredible thing to see.

It felt like a horror movie. It was brutal and a bit unsettling. I've seen violence before, but that was hard stuff.

That silat was lovely stuff. Lots of elbows, knees, sweeps, leg attacks. I was a bit surprised by the length of the fights. For some reason, I was expecting them to be shorter. Bash ups like that and all. I was enjoyably wrong. Very tactical action(the guns, knives, attacks), yet they put in many tchnical exchanges(counters and such). Very martial action.

MDog was the ish, as well as Taslim. My only quip is with Iko. He moves too much like Jack. He's a body language screen fighter and it takes the bite off of much of what he does. It makes a lot of his strikes look weaker that everyone else's. He always bases out his feet like Jack, to accept the coming exchanges. Kar Lok did the same. Instead of knocking out his sequence, he would have too much total body movement and action. So will understand others won"t but it keeps catching my eye. It was that that kept me from getting into Merantau's action, except for the elevator fight.

Straight forward, linear, and an unobtrusive camera. Loved it.

Who is Jack?:squigglemouth: