The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

kingofkungfu2002

The UK Bluray also has 2 audio commentaries...A solo one with Gareth Evans, and one with Evans and Joe Taslim (who played Jaka).

OK I read this article yesterday in Film magazine that Hollywood is already doing a US remake of The Raid Redemption and Gareth Evans is producing it and Iko is doing the fight choreography! Why! I don't wanna see a US remake of this movie it just come out! I cannot understand why Gareth would want that done! I know he is on here so I hope he can shed some light on it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's hard to retain 100% artistic integrity if you wanna further your carreer in the movie biz. Also, people gotta eat.... Would I rather see him staying in asia making hard edged asskicker flicks than going to hollywood and produce some watered down version, sure.... but I don't have to pay his bills, so that's easy for me say.

Can't really judge if it's a good or bad move til we see what he does afterwards. If making a few crappy hollywood films means he has more financial independence to be more ambitious and take more risks on his own pet projects, then I'm all for it. Being a producer rather than a director seems like a good sign that he's keeping some distance between himself and the hollywood rendition.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where he is going with this, its putting him in the mainstream of Hollywood. But to do a remake already of a great action movie. I cannot understand that!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Maybe that's his one shot. That's the deal he got. No I don't understand it either, why a remake of a one year old movie that worked to begin with. It's not like it was full of cultural touches that didn't translate well. But since hollywood is devoid of any kind of originality, it's hardly surprising.

ShaOW!linDude
But to do a remake already of a great action movie. I cannot understand that!

Maybe that's his one shot. That's the deal he got. No I don't understand it either, why a remake of a one year old movie that worked to begin with. It's not like it was full of cultural touches that didn't translate well. But since hollywood is devoid of any kind of originality, it's hardly surprising.

It is a poser. It seems pointless, I agree. But then this may present him with the opportunity to incorporate some things he wasn't able to accomplish action-wise because he didn't have the financing that would've allowed him to.

Now, I'm just spitballing that last statement 'cause honestly, the action is the made film is superb and I can't imagine how he could possibly tweak it. Let's just hope Gareth's involvement grants him a relatively good amount of say so in the remake's final product.

Still, I'm with daisho on this.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where he is going with this, its putting him in the mainstream of Hollywood. But to do a remake already of a great action movie. I cannot understand that!

It seems the people who run Hollywood pay more attention to marketing than filmmaking these days. They know the story has already proven successful, so they want to reach a wider American audience by putting a more familiar face on the screen. Plus they know they can ride the buzz of the original to reduce the risk of the movie being a flop.

Doesn't make much sense to me either, but that seems to be the way the system seems to work these days. Thankfully smart directors will always be able to use the system to their advantage.

It is a poser. It seems pointless, I agree. But then this may present him with the opportunity to incorporate some things he wasn't able to accomplish action-wise because he didn't have the financing that would've allowed him to.

Now, I'm just spitballing that last statement 'cause honestly, the action is the made film is superb and I can't imagine how he could possibly tweak it. Let's just hope Gareth's involvement grants him a relatively good amount of say so in the remake's final product.

Still, I'm with daisho on this.

Since he isn't taking the role of director, I'm not getting my hopes too high for him trying to make any improvements on the original. I'm guessing (and hoping) that he's focusing more on Berandal and just using the remake to put more momentum behind his film career. Of course not knowing the production dates on any of these, this is all very speculative.

a Hollywood remake of a brand-new film, really? Well I'm sure they can do some CGI, crappy editing and make a movie none of us want to watch… But then we are not target audience

This is really a continuation of insulting the creative process and licensing of artist's work.. Remaking a project, whether the original director is producing, or is part of the project at any capacity, is not necessarily complementary. It just happens to be Hollywood's way of imprinting their stamp of approval on a project. Why not throw the production cost behind advertising and distribute the original film so America knows these artist exist in the first place?

This has happened far too many times:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The Ring

Ju On

Infernal Affairs

and others.

People dont realize the creative aristry Bruce Lee did not surrender by making WB come to HK. That was 40 yrs ago.

Smart man.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Personally, I think he surrendered enough to make it his worst film. The fight cinematography is awful, the pace is off, no one in the movie can screenfight except for him (though this was also partially true of his other films) and so on. I never understood people's unbridled love for ETD. I love FOF and WOTD, and I would much rather have seen him finish GOD than start ETD, though from a bussines standpoint, I understand why he did it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

No it's not. You can't criticize films in retrospect...??? What? We all do that every day on this board. You don't like Live And Let Die.... what's different?

You can certainly criticize in retrospect. I, for one, dislike MOST of Bruce Lee's output except "Enter the Dragon." I just feel he starred in bad films, but that's my point of view as a man living in 2012.

It's all a matter of opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. There are people here that might say Jackie Chan's 70's and 80's output is horrible in hindsight. I might disagree but that's the beauty of subjectivity. We can't really argue with it.

In years to come, someone it bound to say that, in hindsight, "The Raid" was a plotless, mindless affair relying solely on pangs of action to string the audience along. Such is life.

Guest Markgway
No it's not. You can't criticize films in retrospect...??? What? We all do that every day on this board. You don't like Live And Let Die.... what's different?

I meant at the time the fight choreography was considered cutting edge. Mainstream films didn't have martial arts the way Bruce Lee delivered them. You can argue that they've been surpassed since but I feel it's unfair to criticize ENTER on that score. You CAN criticise, of course. I just think it's harsh given what came before Enter the Dragon. What Bruce was doing was advanced even in Hong Kong never mind Hollywood... Compare Bruce's choreography with the bashers coming out the same year. None of the criticisms I have for LALD are to do with elements that hadn't been done better before. Name one superior Hollywood martial arts film released before ENTER? And WAY is a very poor movie - APART from the fights.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, it's all subjective, but Bruce's three previous films all had better choreo and fight cinematography than ETD. So I don't agree. And I also think that the choreo that Sammo was doing at the same time was much more advanced and exciting to watch. Plus, I think WOTD was BL's best movie, in terms of story structure, build up and pay off, and character. But hey, let's agree to disagree.

... My point and whole picture is about creative licensing. Hollywood is a vampire that drains the artists from other parts of the world by recreating their works.

:squigglemouth:

TibetanWhiteCrane

I certainly agree with that. But often those talents from abroad is quite willing to let themselves drain, as it means more money. And money is all that matters..... sad as that may be.

People have to remember this "remake" business has been going on for a long time, more than the last 2 decades, we wouldn't have Fist Full of Dollars if it wasn't for Yojimbo. Granted it's 2012 there no need for the separation but it's the watering down that gets the goat, hollywood insists on having unwatchable fight choreography, so yeah, what's the point as the fighting is the movie.

It doesn't bother me too much when hollywood remakes a good film, as it doesn't really detract from anything, and can only help the original get more attention as well has helping out the director. It's just another movie I don't need to watch, unless I have some morbid curiosity to see how badly they mess it up.

As far as bringing in foreign directors to make American films, I realize it has had a pretty bad track record in the past few years, but a lot of the great old hollywood directors originally started their careers in other countries. Recently it seems to corrupt more than help, but I'm still optimistic that someone will break that trend eventually.

ShaOW!linDude
It's just another movie I don't need to watch, unless I have some morbid curiosity to see how badly they mess it up.

Guilty. I am soooo guilty of this sometimes.

Close Quarters

I'm about as interested in this remake as I am about the District B13 remake starring Paul Walker :sad: As long the deal comes through for Gareth to receive extra funding for his original trilogy for The Raid, then I can live with the purpose of the remake. It'll take a lot of convincing to get me to watch it though. As far as I'm concerned the hollywood version of The Raid already exists via Dredd. I was cool with that movie for what it was with being on some non-martial arts, but still gritty action type of flick.