The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Obviously Close Quarters isn't overly interested in a stylized number of moments strung together and reminiscent of what we fans call "shapes." Perhaps he is looking for gritty, raw, powerful action that isn't as fluid.

Well, speaking only for myself, I'd take issue with you on that, DM. Yes, the action in The Raid is grittier and rawer but also so fast and intricate. The fluidity of the choreography in those sequence is, to me, on a par with the "shapes" style choreography of the classic 70's -80's MA films. I think that's why so many of us genre fans are so enamored with it.

I'm just saying right now as it sits....no one is making a fighting movie to the degree of The Raid. This movie specifically relied mostly on fighting alone.

True story. And you can believe that US remake of it will most likely do away with a vast majority of it and supplement it with gunfire, explosions, and dialogue.

The Raid was amazing, SPL was amazing, Ong Bak 2 was amazing, and Ip Man was amazing. I love em all. As long as there are well done hard hitting fight scenes, I'm there.

Sang it! Comparisons are fine and will always be made, but ultimately, each one has to be appreciated for what it brings to the table and accomplishes to bolster the genre and inspire future MA filmmakers.

Well, speaking only for myself, I'd take issue with you on that, DM. Yes, the action in The Raid is grittier and rawer but also so fast and intricate. The fluidity of the choreography in those sequence is, to me, on a par with the "shapes" style choreography of the classic 70's -80's MA films. I think that's why so many of us genre fans are so enamored with it.

While I wouldn't argue that "The Raid" has intricate choreography, my point was that it's not as "pretty" as traditional shapes. Sure, TECHNICALLY it is; from a fan's standpoint, but I, personally, find it far less rhythmically resonant as, say, the Wing Chun in recent films.

Sure, it packs the intricacies, but doesn't have the frills. I think there is a dividing line, akin to those that prefer bashers to shapes. Some people will drool over the seemingly non-styled fighting of "The Raid" while others will be in awe of the gorgeous movements of "Ip Man."

Now I'm not saying there aren't fans of both. Most of us are. But I understand why someone might prefer the brutality of "The Raid" over all else.

While I wouldn't argue that "The Raid" has intricate choreography, my point was that it's not as "pretty" as traditional shapes. Sure, TECHNICALLY it is; from a fan's standpoint, but I, personally, find it far less rhythmically resonant as, say, the Wing Chun in recent films.

Sure, it packs the intricacies, but doesn't have the frills.

Ah, I see where you're coming from then. For me, when I speak of fluidity, I think of flow in the choreography. But I agree with your perspective, mate.

Ah, I see where you're coming from then. For me, when I speak of fluidity, I think of flow in the choreography. But I agree with your perspective, mate.

Yeah, I should have made myself a little clearer. While I am more than aware of the intricacies of the choreography in "The Raid," I was trying to separate it from the more flamboyant shapes of your "Ip Mans" and even your "True Legends."

I will say this and I caught a lot of slack off it. IMO The Raid is one of the best Asian action movies of all time. I ranked it right up there with HardBoiled & The Killerwhile those 2 movies are cult HK classics, I compare all action movies to those 2! And really there are few & far in between that come close to what John Woo made with those 2 movies. I would love to see him go back and make a gritty action movie like that again. So yes right now The Raid is a Great action movie. And it deserves all the prasie it gets and just look at the budget compared to these expensive HK movies.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Who is overrating it?

The majority of this thread is, that's who... Calling it the best action/martial arts film of the decade.. Really the decade???? This movie wasn't even better than 13 assassins and yes it is an action movie and MA/samurai whatever you want to call it...

The majority of this thread is, that's who... Calling it the best action/martial arts film of the decade.. Really the decade???? This movie wasn't even better than 13 assassins and yes it is an action movie and MA/samurai whatever you want to call it...

That's fair. I wasn't sure whether you were being specific or not. Personally, I found "13 Assassins" tediously dull until the last twenty minutes and, even then, it did nothing for me. However, I understand that some people love it.

I think "The Raid" has legs and the hype it has because it was a flat out action film, from start to finish. It didn't feel convoluted at all and the action spoke volumes regarding the talent on hand.

However, I read a recent review that gave "The Raid" a 'D' grade because the reviewer found the fights redundant and every between genuinely bad film making, so it won't be for everyone.

OpiumKungFuCracker
That's fair. I wasn't sure whether you were being specific or not. Personally, I found "13 Assassins" tediously dull until the last twenty minutes and, even then, it did nothing for me. However, I understand that some people love it.

I think "The Raid" has legs and the hype it has because it was a flat out action film, from start to finish. It didn't feel convoluted at all and the action spoke volumes regarding the talent on hand.

However, I read a recent review that gave "The Raid" a 'D' grade because the reviewer found the fights redundant and every between genuinely bad film making, so it won't be for everyone.

Yes I agree some films can't be for everybody/ just saying my 2cents/ I love the Raid, it's on my top 5 list of 2012 if that means anything...

See I cannot put The Raid in the same category as 13 Assassins. 1st. its a period film, 2nd. The Raid is a modern day action movie with Guns so it's not fair to put those 2 movies in the same category. I'm saying The Raid is better than SPL etc. as far as action goes its the baddest movie out maybe not plot wise, but as far as action come on it was non-stop. And I loved 13 Assassins myself, I thought it was one of the best Japanese Samurai movies in years.

The movie was great but not for me. By the end I felt like I'd watched Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket, a claustrophobic, bleak, and somewhat traumatic experience, rather than a tense and fun flick. I came out of it extremely impressed and pretty depressed. Glad to see so many people enjoyed themselves, but I won't be watching it again.

@MHB: Your whole post I need some clarification on, you compared it to Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. I don't get what your saying at all with that statement.

@MHB: Your whole post I need some clarification on, you compared it to Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. I don't get what your saying at all with that statement.

I think he's saying this:

I came out of it extremely impressed and pretty depressed.

I can kind of get where he's coming from. Both SPR and FMJ are very impressive war films but they tend to leave people depressed due to the subject and/or trauma depicted.

(I probably shouldn't speak for him like this but that's what I took his statement to mean.:neutral:)

The movie was great but not for me. By the end I felt like I'd watched Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket, a claustrophobic, bleak, and somewhat traumatic experience, rather than a tense and fun flick. I came out of it extremely impressed and pretty depressed. Glad to see so many people enjoyed themselves, but I won't be watching it again.

I don't think thats a very accurate statement. The Raid was dark but I wouldn't say depressing. Nothing too bad even happens to Iko and he reaches his goal so how is it depressing? You want a depressing film, try watching Eden Lake. The movie was pretty good but left me depressed and angry. :bigsmile: Just saying.

There hasn't exactly been a lot of 'great' martial arts movies in the last ten years.

My top three would be:

Fearless, Hero, and Ip Man.

How about Flashpoint?

One Armed Boxer

Now that the region 2 of 'The Raid' has hit the shelves....has anyone had the chance to do a direct comparison against the region 1 in regards to quality, extra features, the musical score etc.?

I'm not really concerned with the Blu-ray as I don't have a player, but if either one of the DVD versions has the edge over the other, that'll be the one I'll go for.

Just had a quick look at the UK BR.

Good quality similar to cinema, sound is great, extras very good, BUT no original Indonesian music soundtrack. At least i couldn't find it. It has 2 versions of the film (US / UK Cinema cut and uncut Indonesian version although i couldn't tell any difference must be very small if any) but both soundtracks seem the same. Other than that recommended.

Just had a quick look at the UK BR.

Good quality similar to cinema, sound is great, extras very good, BUT no original Indonesian music soundtrack. At least i couldn't find it. It has 2 versions of the film (US / UK Cinema cut and uncut Indonesian version although i couldn't tell any difference must be very small if any) but both soundtracks seem the same. Other than that recommended.

Got my BD on Saturday and yes, you're right, David, there's no sign of the original Indonesian soundtrack.

I've been told the "uncut version" is a bit more graphic during the execution scene early in the film, but not sure.

Still, a cracking BD of a cracking film!

Guest Markgway
How about Flashpoint?

The action is tops, but the film as a whole isn't on the same level.

NB for UK fans: Apparently the uncut version of The Raid is only on the BD.

does the u.s blu-ray of the raid have the original score because the u.k blu-ray doesn't can anyone confirm please

Yes it does.

But in my opinion the Mike Shinoda one is actually better anyways, the original one is kinda dull.