The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Neat trailer. What I found very intriguing was the cinematography and color filtering. Gives the movie a fresh look. Plus the story appears to be on some other ish (Die Hard meets Game of Death?). Will be on the look-out of this.

For some reason this thread eluded me, and I'm thinking I need to see Merantau.

First, sweet freaking poster, like an oldschool Shaw with modern sensibilities, the trailer:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Check out this quote from TWITCH's REVIEW

There have been a great many duos in the action and martial arts world. Modern masters included John Woo and Chow Yun-fat; Jackie Chan and Edward Tang; Jet Li and either combination of Corey Yeun and Tsui Hark. Leaders of the new school were for a short while Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen, and Prachya Pinkaew and Tony Jaa. With The Raid Evans and Uwais not on confirm they are solid contenders in the genres but clearly the current title holders as well.

That's bold.

Check out this quote from TWITCH's REVIEW

There have been a great many duos in the action and martial arts world. Modern masters included John Woo and Chow Yun-fat; Jackie Chan and Edward Tang; Jet Li and either combination of Corey Yeun and Tsui Hark. Leaders of the new school were for a short while Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen, and Prachya Pinkaew and Tony Jaa. With The Raid Evans and Uwais not on confirm they are solid contenders in the genres but clearly the current title holders as well.

That's bold.

that is extremely bold. Having said that I wouldn't include Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen, neither Prachya Pinkaew. Prachya Pinkaew seems to have wrongly taken a lot of credit when I believe Panna Rittrikrai Is the main driving force behind the best Martial arts films coming from Thailand and especially Tony Jaa

that is extremely bold. Having said that I wouldn't include Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen, neither Prachya Pinkaew. Prachya Pinkaew seems to have wrongly taken a lot of credit when I believe Panna Rittrikrai Is the main driving force behind the best Martial arts films coming from Thailand and especially Tony Jaa

But I get what he is trying to say. There is old school and new school. Those are the names known - worldwide anyways.

And he has a point. After Ip Man 1 came Merantau. After Ong Bak 2 came Merantau. Altough Ong Bak 3 and Donnie's 5 films lol were DEBATABLY good, they haven't matched up to what Merantau showed (hope) or greatness (with respect to how long they have been on the scene).

As for Twitch's review(s), they tend to be spot on. They could be completely wrong (which I've yet to see) or they could be completely right (which would make The Raid the one to beat). But if that's' the case, it would have to be the best MA film this decade.

Either way, I think we'll be surprised.

You may have your opinion but their work and influence can't be taken away. The matter here (like VenomsFan said) is the people that have striven to bring martial arts movies to another level the veterans left off and those people mentioned should be included because they were all part of making that thing happen.

I just came back watching the fights in Merantau. They are undoubtedly good but when you take a close look at the action, there's alot of elements that are heavily influenced from elsewhere. It's like watching a new fighting style (Silat) put together with and pulled off in Thai and 80s Hong Kong choreography mode back to back. It's not a bad thing but I wouldn't call it an unmatched movie. The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia have already surpassed it.

All things aside, I'm curious to see where the filmmakers have taken The Raid to because Merantau was a good ground for them and to take things further the boundary must be pushed more. The trailer and review suggest that we're in for something unique.

But I get what he is trying to say. There is old school and new school. Those are the names known - worldwide anyways.

And he has a point. After Ip Man 1 came Merantau. After Ong Bak 2 came Merantau. Altough Ong Bak 3 and Donnie's 5 films lol were DEBATABLY good, they haven't matched up to what Merantau showed (hope) or greatness (with respect to how long they have been on the scene).

As for Twitch's review(s), they tend to be spot on. They could be completely wrong (which I've yet to see) or they could be completely right (which would make The Raid the one to beat). But if that's' the case, it would have to be the best MA film this decade.

Either way, I think we'll be surprised.

You may have your opinion but their work and influence can't be taken away. The matter here (like VenomsFan said) is the people that have striven to bring martial arts movies to another level the veterans left off and those people mentioned should be included because they were all part of making that thing happen.

I just came back watching the fights in Merantau. They are undoubtedly good but when you take a close look at the action, there's alot of elements that are heavily influenced from elsewhere. It's like watching a new fighting style (Silat) put together with and pulled off in Thai and 80s Hong Kong choreography mode back to back. It's not a bad thing but I wouldn't call it an unmatched movie. The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia have already surpassed it.

All things aside, I'm curious to see where the filmmakers have taken The Raid to because Merantau was a good ground for them and to take things further the boundary must be pushed more. The trailer and review suggest that we're in for something unique.

Hey guys, I think you may have misinterpreted my post as I think very highly of Merantau, Just look at any of my posts regarding this film! I am amongst the biggest fans of this film on the forum.:tongue: I consider this movie very highly and one of Which I think of as one of the better movies of the last few years at the very least.

What I was saying that I agreed with venoms fan that I think it's too soon to comment on a couple of films . With regards to what I actually meant was that Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen , In my personal opinion, have not put out a lot of movies of the same high standards that were obviously considered when judging by previous movie stars/directors In the same league. While I thoroughly enjoyed Ip Man I don't consider any other of Donnie Yen's starring roles in the last decade to be worthy of consideration as groundbreaking by any standard of the imagination.

I hope and I expect good things from "the raid" and certainly much better than anything Donnie Yen has put out in the last decade, which in my humble opinion has been extremely overrated. Ip Man excluded. Which is the point of my original post .

I'm hoping that this has clarified both your responses to my post?

Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia haven't surpassed anything. I know you adore Don but that is, come on. They aren't Donnie's best work, the best one arm movie or the best long handled dao movie. No one talks about them and no one is copying them.

Merantau felt like I was watching a Jack Chan movie. It was his style of action. Underdog, body language, defense style action. Even the cadence, rhythm and wardrobe. The last fight felt like pure Jack. Its another one that didn't take the world by storm. No one talks about it. It didn't do for silat what the Thai's were able to do with their styles. It was too kickboxy cadence/stunty. They didn't bring "them", they brought Jack.

Now looking at this trailer for The Raid is different. It has an intensity and energy but in watching it, doesn't remind me of anything else. I only see what they present. That is a good thing. It's hard, energic and has style. Knives, police baton/tonfas, combat tactics. As a matter of fact, the action style is tactical in base. Its less martial and more combat in execution of purpose. Distance closing, smashing, throwing, stabbing, gun work to close in. Lots of real style there. I look forward to it.

Now looking at this trailer for The Raid is different. It has an intensity and energy but in watching it, doesn't remind me of anything else.

I feel the same way, which makes it special. I'm totally gay for the film.

I'm really digging Mike Shinoda's score in the trailer....

Of the band Linkin Park?

Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia haven't surpassed anything. I know you adore Don but that is, come on. They aren't Donnie's best work, the best one arm movie or the best long handled dao movie. No one talks about them and no one is copying them.

Sha Po Ling/Killzone, Flashpoint, & Ip Man were some of his best work. I've yet to see the 2 you've mentioned but I get where you're coming from.

Merantau felt like I was watching a Jack Chan movie. It was his style of action. Underdog, body language, defense style action. Even the cadence, rhythm and wardrobe. The last fight felt like pure Jack. Its another one that didn't take the world by storm. No one talks about it. It didn't do for silat what the Thai's were able to do with their styles. It was too kickboxy cadence/stunty. They didn't bring "them", they brought Jack.

Again, I get where you're coming from but don't know that I completely agree with you on this one. JC's fighting style tends to incorporate elements of physical comedy into them. He also has a tendency to "run and gun" so to speak (sneaking in a punch or kick while evading his opponents). I didn't get any of that from "Merantau". I actually found it to be more in the vein of "Ong Bak" or "Tom Yum Goong/The Protector" but less on the acrobatics and stunt work a la Tony Jaa. And as those films were a nice showcase of Muay Thai (imo), I thought "Merantau" did justice doing the same for Silat. Maybe it wasn't as flashy or jaw-dropping but I was amazed and blown away with the speed and tigerish element of the style. I did notice some stunts that reminded me of JC's work particularly at the end during the fight atop the big semi-trailers. But let's face it....it's hard not to find stunt work that has been influenced by him in some form or fashion. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Now looking at this trailer for The Raid is different. It has an intensity and energy but in watching it, doesn't remind me of anything else. I only see what they present. That is a good thing. It's hard, energic and has style. Knives, police baton/tonfas, combat tactics. As a matter of fact, the action style is tactical in base. Its less martial and more combat in execution of purpose. Distance closing, smashing, throwing, stabbing, gun work to close in. Lots of real style there. I look forward to it.

Yesterday 07:08 PM

Oh, yeah, dude! While I wouldn't go so far as to make mpm74's proclamation (which owned me, btw, :tongue:), I can't wait for the the physicality of the action in this to just trip me out.

Oh, yeah, dude! While I wouldn't go so far as to make mpm74's proclamation (which owned me, btw, ), I can't wait for the the physicality of the action in this to just trip me out.

Sometimes you gotta let it all out! Yesth!!!

What I was saying that I agreed with venoms fan that I think it's too soon to comment on a couple of films . With regards to what I actually meant was that Wilson Yip and Donnie Yen , In my personal opinion, have not put out a lot of movies of the same high standards that were obviously considered when judging by previous movie stars/directors In the same league. While I thoroughly enjoyed Ip Man I don't consider any other of Donnie Yen's starring roles in the last decade to be worthy of consideration as groundbreaking by any standard of the imagination.

Got the message from the very beginning. Just saying that people's work and their influence on other people can't be overlooked just over an opinion. That is, you don't have to like something but still acknowledge the dues that are given regardless. Considering the past 7 years and how reception of the work from those people were, it's a fact that their hard work paid off. Excluding some of them is like erasing an important part of history.

Not what I was getting at at all. It's not the case of those movies being best in a particular type of movie the action represent, the idea of surpassing any previous work by the same person nor the term "best" being said by majority of people. To me, it's more with that person being able to move away from popularity to doing something unique through own ideas and be as innovative as possible. People not talking about and copying the movies doesn't have anything to do with and won't affect the outlook of the creativity behind the action either. The fact that there ain't much that has followed suit is because they came out not too long ago or people may not be interested in making such movies at the moment.

I feel The Lost Bladesman brought something totally different to the table with the type of choreography (popularized by Ching Siu-Tung). Very down-to-earth but personal (Donnie's own style of it) as well. Wu Xia was a whole different game. The thing with that one is how choreography faithfully integrates with visual storytelling instead of placing a barrier between plot and set-pieces. Few directors have done this perfectly. In that sense, I think both surpass Merantau and are among the best choreography works in recent years.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Of the band Linkin Park?

Hahhahaah, is that a bad thing??? I like their first 2 albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora and after that I haven't listen to them much other than Shinoda's solo rap group with Fort Minor... I'm in my 30's and I hardly listen to any music at all, just movies that's it...

Hahhahaah, is that a bad thing??? I like their first 2 albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora and after that I haven't listen to them much other than Shinoda's solo rap group with Fort Minor... I'm in my 30's and I hardly listen to any music at all, just movies that's it...

No, no, no! It's not a bad thing at all. I had no idea he scored the music. That's cool! I hope he's a genre fan of kung fu films.

I like Linkin Park. "Meteora" is a fantastic album. I'm on the downhill side of my mid-40's and I've always preferred alt-rock to most of the stuff I grew up with.

The Amazing Psycho Per

The trailer is awesome! The action scenes look violent, bloody, tough, intense and well shot and executed ( you can actually see something). But... However violent it looks, I can't help but thinking the fighting still looked a little too staged... Maybe it's me...

I'm still totally hyped though, as it still looks awesome... Too bad we're gonna have to wait an eternity before we get a subbed release.

Edit: Ok, just watched the trailer a second time, and I take it back nothing looks too staged... It just plain looks awesome... gave me the chills :xd: It will be EPIC.

As one of the choreographers was on their national judo team, I hope there is some judo in the fights!

I watched Merantau and it was a promising first film but there was too much melodrama and screaming girls. The Raid looks like it is going to skip that and be mainly action which I like :)

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/09/the-raid-wins-tiff-midnight-madness-award.php

The Raid has won the Audience Award for TIFF's Midnight Madness program this year! The good news is that it sounds like we will be seeing this film in the US sooner rather than later. Todd Brown mentions that while not definite, expect to see a US premiere of it in early 2012. whether this means at a festival, or Sony straight up releasing in theaters I don't know. Now, just hope Sony gives this the WIDE release it deserves!

Todd Brown has mentioned that he expects Sony to give this somewhere between a wide and limited theatrical release in the U.S.! hopefully it will open limited, and then a couple weeks later open wider like Kung Fu Hustle did. this film has the potential to be very successful in the US if released properly! I know I'd be willing to drive even a couple hours to see this on the big screen if they get it released before any official english subbed dvds are out elsewhere.

For me, it just depends on 2 things: uncut and in the original language. If that's the case, I'd love to watch it in the cinema (although it won't be released here in Holland, I'm sure), but if it's cut and/or dubbed, then I've lost all interest as usual.

It sounds like there will only be 1 cut of The Raid, Gareth mentioned that on his blog I think. I think the only difference with the US release will be the new music score done by Mike Shinoda. other than that, I'm pretty sure they will leave it in its original language for the theatrical release. I think nowadays it would no longer be considered acceptable to release a dubbed movie in theaters.