The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

David Rees

Finally got to see it. Agree with most here, fantastic film, great action, very brutal.

Gareth Evans is definitely a director with a great future, congratulations to him!

I finally caught it over the weekend and it is definitely one of the best action films I have seen. My favorite fight comes in at about 73 minutes when Iko and two cops take out an entire drug lab in 5 minutes....no talk, all fighting!!! I loved the twists and turns that came in and that made the film great!!!

daisho2004

@AlbertV: So I guess all the hype lived up to your expectations of the movie then? Glad you weren't disappointed.

US and I believe Indonesia as well, should be the same date. UK release is likely to be in September according to Gareth's Twitter

Shaolin Patriot
DVD drops August 14th! mark your calendars!

I believe it was also mentioned that Gareth might be releasing a Merantau special edition, to coincide with The Raid. Is there any further confirmation on this?

Guest Yi-Long
I believe it was also mentioned that Gareth might be releasing a Merantau special edition, to coincide with The Raid. Is there any further confirmation on this?

It would be awesome if there would be a director's cut of Merentau released.

I still haven't watched that cause it's incomplete.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy shit did you guys see the new Judge Dredd Trailer??? It reminded me of The Raid so much but in the future with flying cars and shit... Dude tell me the sequence in the building wasn't inspired by the Raid?? CHECK OUT THE TRAILER AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!!!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/21/full-trailer-for-the-new-judge-dredd-movie/

Drunken Monk
Holy shit did you guys see the new Judge Dredd Trailer??? It reminded me of The Raid so much but in the future with flying cars and shit... Dude tell me the sequence in the building wasn't inspired by the Raid?? CHECK OUT THE TRAILER AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!!!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/21/full-trailer-for-the-new-judge-dredd-movie/

I posted a comment on another message board saying exactly the same thing.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I posted a comment on another message board saying exactly the same thing.

Holy hot damn, it's crazy isn't it??? Gareth Evans I love you!!!!

OK Its looks like a bite off of The Raid! I will say it looks OK still too early to say for sure, I can tell they needed a better Girl with some M.A. skills to star in it!

OpiumKungFuCracker
OK Its looks like a bite off of The Raid! I will say it looks OK still too early to say for sure, I can tell they needed a better Girl with some M.A. skills to star in it!

Maggie Q would be perfect for that role...

Guest Yi-Long

Cool, less than 2 months from now, seemingly uncut (101 mins), and region-free.

Just need verification that the original music will be included and if the aspect-ratio is correct (imdb.com mentions 1.85:1, amazon says the BR is 1.77:1 ...

Drunken Monk
Drunken Monk

Speaking of the DVD, check out this one star Amazon review suggesting "The Raid" might be a snuff film...

But ... is it a "snuff" film?

To wit:

- Harry Knowles (of "Ain't It Cool News" pseudo-"fame") once said in "index" magazine that there's a website which offers people the chance to kill someone for $10K, the proceeds of which (purportedly) goes to the murdered one's family;

- the film's budget is listed as around $1 million, but, arguably, it could have been shot for $250,000, given that it ONLY USES ONE LOCATION FOR THE WHOLE THING;

- a lot of the credited roles are by # ["A-K GUARD #1," "A-K GUARD #2," ... "A-K GUARD #10," etc., others listed as #1 - #10];

- there's a "body double" listed last, which I've never seen before ("STUNT DOUBLE"? maybe. "STAND-IN"? perhaps. But: "BODY DOUBLE" -- a term most often used for someone who does nudity in lieu of someone else -- NEVER!);

- a lot of the shots (in BOTH senses of the word!) seem to capture "involuntary" -- and, therefore, un-"act"-able, or un-"fake"-able convulsions [barring the use of off-screen electrical current application, of course!];

- weirdly, the "families of the [whole production]" are thanked in the end credits;

- also, one of the last credits goes ahead and asserts -- for some reason -- that the film conforms w/the "laws of Indonesia"!

Am I crazy? Paranoid? Jumping at shadows, here?

Well ...YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!

Guest Yi-Long
The cover art is not to my taste :sad: Hopefully the UK version has better cover art

That cover is absolutely HORRIBLE indeed.

Oh well, as long as the release itself is good, I don't really mind a shockingly ugly cover. I do wonder how that got beyond any kind of quality-control though...

I can spend 5 minutes in Photoshop and come up with a better cover (If I've got the HD press-material or HD screenshots, ofcourse....)

Edit: UK cover doesn't look much better. Not as bad as the US cover obviously, but still...

Almost like they went with a bit of a Banlieu 13 'vibe'...

Edit 2: the Australian BR cover DOES look good.

OpiumKungFuCracker

So does U.S/Australia/U.K version have the same features at least??? I don't want to have to buy 3 different region of the same damn movie..

He should've stuck with the original poster! Why does it say unrated on the Standard DVD? Is the BR going to have added scenes as well or be more brutal to make it unrated?