The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Just got home after seeing this. To your average film fan this was probably something fresh and new. But, for me as a fu fan I wasn't that impressed. I actually got quite bored towards the end. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Just got home after seeing this. To your average film fan this was probably something fresh and new. But, for me as a fu fan I wasn't that impressed. I actually got quite bored towards the end. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

Ouch....:sad:

blue_skies

With all the hype it's quite refreshing to see a comment not so positive!

With all the hype it's quite refreshing to see a comment not so positive!

With all the hype I was expecting something AMAZING, but was disappointed when it wasn't quite that. I'd probably watch it again.

man wish i knew about that screening!

Sounded nice..the film was pound for pound hardcore action!

Yeah it was man, and the Metro newspaper were giving away free tickets for it too. I didn't know anything about it until the man at the ticket office told me. I went on a mission to find a Metro but with no luck. I couldn't find one anywhere which is typical as they're normally EVERYWHERE. Alas, it was worth my £10 pounds even though I was probably the only one in the audience who payed haha.

sifu iron perm
Yeah it was man, and the Metro newspaper were giving away free tickets for it too. I didn't know anything about it until the man at the ticket office told me. I went on a mission to find a Metro but with no luck. I couldn't find one anywhere which is typical as they're normally EVERYWHERE. Alas, it was worth my £10 pounds even though I was probably the only one in the audience who payed haha.

lol @ metro paper..that is everywhere, wow, everybody must have grabbed them up!

Glad you got to go and enjoyed it.

hanshotfirst
When it comes to martial arts movies and top action films, would you really rely on a mainstream movie critic?

I wouldn't necessarily (though I'd be immensely curious to heard what David Bordwell thinks), but while I disagree with him my fair share of the time, I have a lot of respect for Ebert. He knows more about cinema history than almost anyone, and he a legitimate critic, not just some guy with a blog. Incidentally, Mark Kermode apparently loved the film and he and Simon Mayo had Evans on the program, you can download the podcast or find the clip on YouTube.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I wouldn't necessarily (though I'd be immensely curious to heard what David Bordwell thinks), but while I disagree with him my fair share of the time, I have a lot of respect for Ebert. He knows more about cinema history than almost anyone, and he a legitimate critic, not just some guy with a blog. Incidentally, Mark Kermode apparently loved the film and he and Simon Mayo had Evans on the program, you can download the podcast or find the clip on YouTube.

When it comes to Kung Fu Cinema, I'm not sure if Ebert watches that many compared to other genres...

hanshotfirst

Saw the movie, the experience of getting to the faraway theater probably soured me, but I had high expectations given the hype. I obviously need to see it again. Still don't quite think the action has the punch of the recent Thai stuff, but it's gleefully gonzo inventive in places in its glorious mayhem. It's certainly a very stripped-down movie, it's almost dealing in archetypes. It's basically Assault on Precinct 13 in reverse directed by Yuen Woo Ping. Whereas Merantau felt more like a story that was a blend of Ong Bak and The Transporter, this feels like a straight-up exploitation movie, and that gives it that raw energy. But at the same time, it has a certain professionalism that makes it look more expensive than it is, like most of the best exploitation cinema. With Jaa in a monastery, The District 13 franchise apparently having run its course and Cyril Raffiaelli hanging out mostly behind the camera, Scott Adkins continually toiling in the direct-to-video realm, and Koichi Sakamoto back to doing toku, Iko Uwais is currently martial arts cinema's biggest new star. Fresh-faced like Jaa, lithe like Jet Li, and possessing a certain aw-shuck earnestness, he's also terrific martial artist, and Silat being one of the few martial arts that hasn't been seen much on the big screen yet, it's certainly fun to watch. I still with I could see the film with it's original score, and the minor title card change was a necessary but irritating addition for a purist like me, thought no one else will care or should (Is it getting a release under the original title in the UK?). Pretty fun all the same, like I said, I need to see it in a situation where the sojourn to the cinema doesn't dilute the experience of watching it. My local multiplex has had a poster up for a while, if I'm lucky, it'll make a brief run there. Until Tom Yum Goong 2, it'll have to tide me over, though I must admit, the thought of Tony Jaa Panom Yeerum and Jeeja Yanin Vismitananda together with Pinkew again does sound like a rush.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Saw the movie, the experience of getting to the faraway theater probably soured me, but I had high expectations given the hype. I obviously need to see it again. Still don't quite think the action has the punch of the recent Thai stuff, but it's gleefully gonzo inventive in places in its glorious mayhem. It's certainly a very stripped-down movie, it's almost dealing in archetypes. It's basically Assault on Precinct 13 in reverse directed by Yuen Woo Ping. Whereas Merantau felt more like a story that was a blend of Ong Bak and The Transporter, this feels like a straight-up exploitation movie, and that gives it that raw energy. But at the same time, it has a certain professionalism that makes it look more expensive than it is, like most of the best exploitation cinema. With Jaa in a monastery, The District 13 franchise apparently having run its course and Cyril Raffiaelli hanging out mostly behind the camera, Scott Adkins continually toiling in the direct-to-video realm, and Koichi Sakamoto back to doing toku, Iko Uwais is currently martial arts cinema's biggest new star. Fresh-faced like Jaa, lithe like Jet Li, and possessing a certain aw-shuck earnestness, he's also terrific martial artist, and Silat being one of the few martial arts that hasn't been seen much on the big screen yet, it's certainly fun to watch. I still with I could see the film with it's original score, and the minor title card change was a necessary but irritating addition for a purist like me, thought no one else will care or should (Is it getting a release under the original title in the UK?). Pretty fun all the same, like I said, I need to see it in a situation where the sojourn to the cinema doesn't dilute the experience of watching it. My local multiplex has had a poster up for a while, if I'm lucky, it'll make a brief run there. Until Tom Yum Goong 2, it'll have to tide me over, though I must admit, the thought of Tony Jaa Panom Yeerum and Jeeja Yanin Vismitananda together with Pinkew again does sound like a rush.

That's how I felt upon 1st viewing.. The experience of driving about 40 mins and then dealing with the employees kinda ruin some of the excitement I had when watching it.. Then when it got screened closer to my house and I was able to get there hassle free, the 2nd viewing was that much better...

TibetanWhiteCrane
With all the hype I was expecting something AMAZING, but was disappointed when it wasn't quite that. I'd probably watch it again.

With 54 pages of praise upon praise, anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet (myself included) will no doubt be a little dissapointed!

daisho2004

See I can understand how Keung was a little disappointed with this movie from all the hype it received. Myself I thought it was Fantastic! I seen it twice already and I cannot wait for its BR/DVD release. That is the way I felt about Black Dynamite everybody on here praised this film to no end and I thought it just plain Sucked Ass! So everybody has there taste for different style of movies. But right now I cannot see another action movie without 1st. comparing it to The Raid! just like I always compared action movies to John Woo's The Killer & Hard Boiled!

It's not that I didn't like it. I was in a shitty mood when I watched it and had quite a bad headache so maybe that affected my judgement, I don't know. Like I said, I'd probably watch it again.

sifu iron perm
It's not that I didn't like it. I was in a shitty mood when I watched it and had quite a bad headache so maybe that affected my judgement, I don't know. Like I said, I'd probably watch it again.

hahaha, saturday night was a good one huh?

:tongue:

Drunken Monk

I stick up for a lot of films but I, too, can understand someone becoming a victim of hype regarding "The Raid."

I felt exactly the same way with "City of Vengeance." It received very high praise on these boards and many other websites, but when I came to sit down and watch it, I was very underwhelmed.

I just hope those who weren't overly impressed give it a second watch and perhaps catch a few things they missed. Also, "The Raid" is not a film to over analyze. As a narrative, it doesn't break any boundaries, but as an all out action affair it does wonders.

Guest Yi-Long

Which soundtrack did those who loved it watch, and which soundtrack did those who are 'meh' about it watch!?

Perhaps that has been an influence on how it's been experienced!?

Drunken Monk
Which soundtrack did those who loved it watch, and which soundtrack did those who are 'meh' about it watch!?

Perhaps that has been an influence on how it's been experienced!?

I didn't even know the original soundtrack was available and assumed everyone saw it with the Mike Shinoda score. Was his music only in the American release?

Even though I enjoyed the movie, I understand where Keung is coming from. Hype just makes things worse for people especially if it is something that does not meet your expectations.

I had a slight feeling as well watching this movie but decided to ignore it and enjoy it for what it is.

Drunken Monk

I'm actually sad today to hear that there are some kind of outtakes during the credits. I didn't actually stay for that long so missed them...twice!

Guest Markgway

Pretty much agree with Keung.

I was actually kinda bored by the lack of story and non-stop action (which was OK but not as amazing as I'd been led to believe). The standout scene was the 2-on-1 fight against 'Mad Dog' but otherwise this was distinctly average and really no better than any of those Thai movies popularised over the last decade. Again, to emphasise, I didn't DISlike it. I was just seriously underwhelmed. Comparisons to John Woo's finest hours are ill-advised to say the least.

The version of the film I saw (in the UK) had no outtakes and the new score (and a shitty song at the end). The score seemed adequate. The title on screen was simply THE RAID.

Guest Markgway

Forgot to mention two things I wasn't enamoured with: the handheld camerawork (not shakycam but too much too often) and the CGI blood (can't seem to escape from it).

daisho2004

It really amazes me at some of the comments that this movie actually bored People! And Yes I for one compared it to the John Woo films which are classics's to say the least. This movie is a movie for today's new age of M.A. action movies. Yes the storyline wasn't that original but the action scenes were non-stop! I mean I sitting here reading how certain things you Guys pick apart. Granted we do that with all the films on here but, for Evans and this is his 2nd. movie I think he did a great job with everything!

Listen John Woo is a genius plain & simple! And I think The Killer & Hard Boiled are two of the greatest action movies of all time. Again IMO I thought The Raid was Great! But that is why we all have our own views on here, and I respect what everyone has to say whether we agree or disagree. But I really don't know what some of you Guys were expecting. This movie was pure excitement from beginning to end!

No doubt about it, Evans has a great future in this business. I did like the film, just not to the extent of everyone else on here.