The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

monsterzero
inframan's post has got me thinking about the score. I was worried about Shinoda doing a new one (I was a HUGE Linkin Park fan up until I was about 14, then I kinda outgrew them), but I thought it turned out excellent. It doesn't draw too much attention to itself, but it DOES enhance what's happening onscreen.

The new score was better than I expected, but I found it wasn't nearly as subtle as the original. It's possible that it may end up being a matter of preferring whichever you encounter first.

Tigerstyles

Aint seen it yet myself.. but googled it and found a negative review

101 minutes exactly of poorly written, noisy, unintelligent garbage

The Raid: Redemption is a dull film, one that applies its arsenal of staggeringly uninventive ideas to wafer thin characterisation and plot, at a skewed and thuddingly slow pace. With its saturation of fight scenes and mouthy, teenage dialogue, you feel as if you are personally taking a beating by a gang of feckless yobs, rather than watching “The best action movie in a decade”, so quoted by the film poster.

BUT STILL I AWAIT its screening

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2012/04/24/film-review-the-raid-redemption-is-a-loud-macho-bore-fest/

Aint seen it yet either waiting til it gets Official release next month....as for reviews Empire magazine just gave it Five Stars...Total Film gave it Four....so I wouldnt put anything other than personal opinion on negative net "reviews"....I wasnt that fussed about watching Merantau...until I bought it on sales for £3..... BEST £3 I ever spent, sod what somebody says about a film, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Guest Yi-Long

The Raid: Redemption is a dull film, one that applies its arsenal of staggeringly uninventive ideas to wafer thin characterisation and plot, at a skewed and thuddingly slow pace. With its saturation of fight scenes and mouthy, teenage dialogue, you feel as if you are personally taking a beating by a gang of feckless yobs, rather than watching “The best action movie in a decade”, so quoted by the film poster.

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2012/04/24/film-review-the-raid-redemption-is-a-loud-macho-bore-fest/

Haven't seen The Raid yet, but it's an action-movie so I'll expect it to be an action film and I'll rate it as an action film. That means I just expect cool action and a nice time while watching it.

Ofcourse a movie like this will also get negative reviews from people who just expect other things from their movies. I'm sure Hard Boiled and Fist of Legend have had their fair share of poor reviews.

Most reviews have been positive, most people here are excited and raving about it, so I'm just expecting a great action movie.

Nice to hear it's been passed uncut in the UK, and hopefully the UK BR will come with the option for the origial soundtrack as well.

OpiumKungFuCracker

This guy is mad because he had to leave his knitting class in order to attend this movie.. His website is one of the worst looking website I've seen on the internet...

I'm all for different opinions, but it sounds like this choad had his mind made up before he even saw the movie. He must worship Michael Bay and wooden fight choreography, I'm sure he can't wait for the next Nicolas Cage action movie.

Drunken Monk

I went to see it for the second time this weekend. This time with my girlfriend who, admittedly, has only taken a minor shine to what few kung fu films I've screened for her ("Ip Man," "Fearless" and "Hero" etc.).

Her words, upon leaving, were simply, "That was fucking AWESOME!" She then went on to rant about how she loved it and that it was one of the most arse kicking films she's ever seen.

I was actually worried that she wouldn't like it, but boy was I wrong.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'm all for different opinions, but it sounds like this choad had his mind made up before he even saw the movie. He must worship Michael Bay and wooden fight choreography, I'm sure he can't wait for the next Nicolas Cage action movie.

Next Nicolas Cage action movie? :smile: I heard he's going to play Luke Cage, but that they're going to call the movie DRIVE ANNOYED, that it's kind of a prequel to CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN and takes place in prehistoric times! Who else is psyched for this? :xd:

Ah... I pick on Nic. But we need to remember (cause it's been a long time for many of his best) that he IS capable of playing fantastic parts. I love him in WILD AT HEART, LEAVING LAS VEGAS, KICK ASS, FACE OFF, the hillarious and bizarre VAMPIRE'S KISS, ADAPTATION, RAISING ARIZONA, MOONSRUCK, and even the VERY dated, but still amusing VALLEY GIRL ("Is this movie in 3D?"... "No. But your face is." :xd:).

I went to see it for the second time this weekend. This time with my girlfriend who, admittedly, has only taken a minor shine to what few kung fu films I've screened for her ("Ip Man," "Fearless" and "Hero" etc.).

Her words, upon leaving, were simply, "That was fucking AWESOME!" She then went on to rant about how she loved it and that it was one of the most arse kicking films she's ever seen.

I was actually worried that she wouldn't like it, but boy was I wrong.

That's great to hear! :smile: My wife did not go with my son and I to see it, but I'm hoping she'll dig it on BD. I have to kind of pull strings to get her to watch martial arts films anymore (though she was blown away by ONG-BAK 2, as was I. :bigsmile:). However, she enjoyed MERANTAU, and likes thrillers and horror films (which this plays like) so this may jibe with her tastes as well. Hope so. Either way though, with or without her, THE RAID is going to get plenty of play here in my home when it comes out on home video. :wink:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

SPOILER ALERT BELOW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Me and my buddy saw this over the weekend.

One bad ass flix.

Although it DID not fully thrill me to the top end. My main concern was that the fight scenes were a little too, how should I say, 'blurry' and not as clear cut as I had hoped.

But still one hell of a ride.

The OMG! character was that little rascal villain with the long hair who gave a lick-en and kept on tick-en. Man alive he was one tough hombre. By far my favorite villain of the movie. If it wasn't for that white pipe thing in his neck he would have no doubt come up victorious. Speaking of that 'white pipe thing', our first thought it was a piece of a broken florescent light bulb, but I think IT would have shattered upon impact.....Any clues as to what that object was.

I have not seen movies like Hard Boiled etc as I tend to stay away from GUN kung fu movies.

There were only seven or eight people in the theater so it was like a private screening.

My buddy also was blown away by it a little more than I was.

All in all pretty outrageous to say the least. * * * * 1/2 in my book.

One other misgiving: Where were all the tenets of this building. All hiding under their beds or in there safe room? LOL!

GD Y-Y

Speaking of Nicholas Gage my favorite of his is Con Air! No mention from U Kung Fu Bob.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Posted: Friday, Apr. 13, 2012

‘Raid: Redemption’ is like an Indonesian ‘Die Hard’

By Colin Covert

Published in: Entertainment

REVIEW

The Raid: Redemption

* * * 1/2

STARS: Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Yayan Ruhian, Pierre Gruno, Ray Sahetapy.

WRITER-DIRECTOR: Gareth Evans. In Indonesian with English subtitles.

RUNNING TIME: 101 minutes.

RATING: R (strong brutal bloody violence throughout, and language).

Related Stories

Related Images

Film Review The Raid Redemption

There are by my count 63 individually described fatalities in “The Raid: Redemption,” and enough maimings to overwhelm a regional trauma center. The film is a sort of high-speed demolition derby, except with human actors. It is 100 percent highly concentrated whoop-ass, and it is sensational.

Like “Die Hard,” it follows the Aristotelian unities of action, place and time, following an Indonesian police SWAT team through an attack on a multi-story tenement housing the scurviest thugs on the archipelago. The battle rages up stairwells, down hallways, into apartments, out the windows and back inside again. Through group melees, one-on-one duels and every form of warfare in between, the action pauses only long enough to reload. Yet the film doesn’t stint on character and story. Director Gareth Evans, a Welsh expat making a name in Asian action cinema, knows how to tell a frenetic story with fastidious care.

Action star Iko Uwais plays Rama, a handsome, upright young cop who is at the point of the spear. He starts his day by tenderly caressing his pregnant wife and kneeling for his morning devotions before strapping on his tactical assault gear. His time on the prayer rug isn’t a political signal. He practices silat, an Indonesian martial-arts discipline that’s closely associated with the teachings of Islam as a form of character building.

As the film unfolds, we learn that he also has a noble personal motive for participating in the highly dangerous raid. He’s not an invulnerable Bruce Lee type, more a cousin to Bruce Willis’s John McClane, tough as nails but human enough to break out in flop sweat.

The objective is to capture Tama (creepy Ray Sahetapy), a coldblooded drug lord whose chief enforcers are the brutal Mad Dog (stunt choreographer Yayan Ruhian) and brainy Andi (Doni Alamsyah). Amid spattery death by machine gun, machete, stair railing and filing cabinet, there are revelations and complications aplenty, with hidden corruption, secret family ties and innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. Every element fits (including the propulsive score by Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park), adding richness to the story without slowing the relentless action.

There are stunt set pieces here that will be talked about for years, from a six-minute-long fight scene to battles that burst through walls and even floors. The movie is a kick that will leave your head ringing for days.

Here is the review from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The OMG! character was that little rascal villain with the long hair who gave a lick-en and kept on tick-en. Man alive he was one tough hombre. By far my favorite villain of the movie.

Glad you guys dug it. Did you see MERANTAU yet? The actor that played the villain in THE RAID (I'm terrible at remembering names... :squigglemouth:) has a fight with Iko in an elevator that's stunning. I think it's one of the best one-on-one fights of the last decade, up there with Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing and DY vs Sammo in SLP and DY vs Collin Chou in FLASHPOINT. Anyway, yeah, this guy is amazing!

"SPOILER ALERT" below...

If it wasn't for that white pipe thing... <EDIT> Speaking of that 'white pipe thing', our first thought it was a piece of a broken florescent light bulb, but I think IT would have shattered upon impact.....Any clues as to what that object was.

Hey Bro, I implore you- please edit or add a "SPOILER ALERT" to your post concerning this. :angel: Yes, it was the end of a broken florescent light bulb. And yes, in reality it would have shattered in Iko's hand when he tried to stab Mad Dog.

I've seen this in other films before, most notably in TOM YUM GOONG, and I always think "That seems like a good idea, but it's not." I once worked in a place where they had tons of these bulbs. They were constantly replacing blown out bulbs, and one of my jobs was to get rid of the bad ones. I've smashed hundreds of them (which is a lot of fun when you're twenty :bigsmile:), and I can definitely say- the person swinging one of these as a weapon is in as much danger of being sliced up as the guy they're hitting. Still, there's something wince-inducing about it, so it kind of works anyway.

End of "SPOILER ALERT"

I have not seen movies like Hard Boiled etc as I tend to stay away from GUN kung fu movies.

Do yourself a favor and see HARDBOILED. Even if that's not your preferred genre, that's a really good movie. :nerd:

Speaking of Nicholas Gage my favorite of his is Con Air! No mention from U Kung Fu Bob.

Ah, I liked CON AIR and THE ROCK, but they did not blow me away like they seem to do for most action fans. I saw them both many years after they had come out. Maybe they were a bit dated by then? I don't know. I'll check them both out again one day. Weird as it is, WILD AT HEART is my absolute favorite Nic Cage film. "Did I ever tell ya how much I love my snakeskin jacket?" :wink:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Glad you guys dug it. Did you see MERANTAU yet? The actor that played the villain in THE RAID (I'm terrible at remembering names... :squigglemouth:) has a fight with Iko in an elevator that's stunning. I think it's one of the best one-on-one fights of the last decade, up there with Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing and DY vs Sammo in SLP and DY vs Collin Chou in FLASHPOINT. Anyway, yeah, this guy is amazing!

"SPOILER ALERT" below...

Hey Bro, I implore you- please edit or add a "SPOILER ALERT" to your post concerning this. :angel: Yes, it was the end of a broken florescent light bulb. And yes, in reality it would have shattered in Iko's hand when he tried to stab Mad Dog.

I've seen this in other films before, most notably in TOM YUM GOONG, and I always think "That seems like a good idea, but it's not." I once worked in a place where they had tons of these bulbs. They were constantly replacing blown out bulbs, and one of my jobs was to get rid of the bad ones. I've smashed hundreds of them (which is a lot of fun when you're twenty :bigsmile:), and I can definitely say- the person swinging one of these as a weapon is in as much danger of being sliced up as the guy they're hitting. Still, there's something wince-inducing about it, so it kind of works anyway.

End of "SPOILER ALERT"

Do yourself a favor and see HARDBOILED. Even if that's not your preferred genre, that's a really good movie. :nerd:

Ah, I liked CON AIR and THE ROCK, but they did not blow me away like they seem to do for most action fans. I saw them both many years after they had come out. Maybe they were a bit dated by then? I don't know. I'll check them both out again one day. Weird as it is, WILD AT HEART is my absolute favorite Nic Cage film. "Did I ever tell ya how much I love my snakeskin jacket?" :wink:

Thanks KFB.....forgot the SPOILER ALERT.......will be aware of this next time.....much appreciated. .

A florescent light bulb smashing kung fu expert. LOL.

I will give Hard Boiled a go when I can.

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Thanks KFB.....forgot the SPOILER ALERT.......will be aware of this next time.....much appreciated. .

A florescent light bulb smashing kung fu expert. LOL.

I will give Hard Boiled a go when I can.

GD Y-Y

As "McConaghy would say "Alright alright." :wink:

I've always had an abusive relationship with florescent light bulbs. I once (accidentally) took out a shitload of them at a dojo with a three-section staff. Um... whoops. :angel:

KFB put a SPOILER ALERT on my post above.....Thanks :angel:

GD Y-Y

Thanks man. Let's keep it safe around here. LOL :wink:

ShaOW!linDude

I do believe you're referring to Yayan Ruhian.

Next Nicolas Cage action movie? :smile: I heard he's going to play Luke Cage, but that they're going to call the movie DRIVE ANNOYED, that it's kind of a prequel to CAPTAIN CORELLI'S MANDOLIN and takes place in prehistoric times! Who else is psyched for this? :xd:

Ah... I pick on Nic. But we need to remember (cause it's been a long time for many of his best) that he IS capable of playing fantastic parts. I love him in WILD AT HEART, LEAVING LAS VEGAS, KICK ASS, FACE OFF, the hillarious and bizarre VAMPIRE'S KISS, ADAPTATION, RAISING ARIZONA, MOONSRUCK, and even the VERY dated, but still amusing VALLEY GIRL ("Is this movie in 3D?"... "No. But your face is." :xd:).

Son, you have a panty on your head:xd:

Your right he was in some great movies, I'm talking the last 10-15 years, Kick Ass and Face Off were ok movies(imo) but I'll agree he was great in Leaving Las Vegas, as depressing a movie it was. Man I saw Vampire's Kiss and Wild at Heart but I'll be damned if I remember much about them.

Now I need to get out and see The Raid one more time in the theater, it's going to be hard as I need to catch a couple other movies coming out.

Got to see this movie in a pre screening in the UK today.

Really enjoy it! Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais are amazing. A major step up from Merantau.

Look forward to owning the blu ray.

sifu iron perm
Got to see this movie in a pre screening in the UK today.

Really enjoy it! Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais are amazing. A major step up from Merantau.

Look forward to owning the blu ray.

cool.

where in the UK?

OpiumKungFuCracker

This movie seriously needs to adapt to a video game for PS3... Max Payne 3 looks weak compared to a Raid based game, don't yah think???