The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

ShaOW!linDude

Well, speak of the devil........

I hate to double-dip on Merantau (wait, I think that would be a triple-dip for me). I guess I'd do it if the cut fight scene were re-incorporated back into the film and depending on the extras like outtakes and training footage. Hmmmm........

I'm psyched to see a trailer for The Raid!!!

I'm psyched to see a trailer for The Raid!!!

Me too but it's a shame Gareth said it won't be such a long action packed trailer this time. I much prefer extended martial arts trailers that give you a real feel for what you're going to see rather than snippets.

I just found this Indonesian promo, no fight clips, some pictures, interviews with the stars with no subtitles but there's an interview at the end with Gareth Evans. Looks like the film already has distributors with Sony pictures picking up the US rights.

ShaOW!linDude

That's great. But that won't be until January 2012!:cry:

You know, you have to be careful with movie trailers. I dig what you're saying about an extended trailer to give you a feel of the action you'll be seeing. But sometimes it's like all the best parts are shown or it's overlong and shows too much thus leaving no surprises.

Ok, let me try and cover everything....

Yi-Long - it will be the Indonesian cut, sorry for the confusion. It will be a 2-disc release - cramming that much on a single disc would result in horrible compression.

ShaOW!linDude - Wow on the triple dip, can't begin to tell you how humbling that is to hear. This release as I said above will be a 2-disc special edition and feature all the outtakes, deleted scenes we have as well as the making of materials seen on the US releaes. Meanwhile, the Indonesian cut included has the extra fight scene re-instated along with some more drama scenes that were more culturally specific at the start of the film. In addition, we're planning some collectibles (postcards, 35mm film cell) and will also include the original soundtrack.

blue_skies - We have sold to a number of countries (US, Canada, UK and Australia included for the english speaking territories) I will be putting up a new blog entry next to cover this in more detail. As for the trailer, well it isn't as long as Merantau (around 1m 50s it currently comes in at) but seriously, it's not lacking for action.

And not to worry about it showing the best bits, while that's true for a lot of trailers and for sure we want to showcase a lot of the good stuff there's plenty kept hidden from you guys. There's 2 full fight scenes that we show a single frame of in the trailer (that's around 6mins of action combined not shown at all).

Yes, January is a long time away, but the trailer coming out is necessary to spark interest for Toronto. We want our audience primed ready for the film, plus I can't wait to release something!

ShaOW!linDude
ShaOW!linDude - Wow on the triple dip, can't begin to tell you how humbling that is to hear. This release as I said above will be a 2-disc special edition and feature all the outtakes, deleted scenes we have as well as the making of materials seen on the US releaes. Meanwhile, the Indonesian cut included has the extra fight scene re-instated along with some more drama scenes that were more culturally specific at the start of the film. In addition, we're planning some collectibles (postcards, 35mm film cell) and will also include the original soundtrack.

Well....all I can say is..........SWEET!!!!!!!!

I don't mind the triple dip. (I got the 1st dvd a month before the US release 'cause I couldn't wait any longer. Then the US release 'cause of the special features.) Since you're re-instating the deleted scenes (especially that 1 boss fight scene) I'm down to get this when it hits. Then I'll just trade off the others.:xd:

I trust you on the trailer. The one for MERANTAU was perfect showing just enough to both amaze and whet my appetite.

Guest Yi-Long
Ok, let me try and cover everything....

Yi-Long - it will be the Indonesian cut, sorry for the confusion. It will be a 2-disc release - cramming that much on a single disc would result in horrible compression.

That's very good to hear :) Will it be region-free!?

About The Raid: You said in our earlier discussion that you would make sure that there would be only 1 cut. Does that still stand, or is there already pressure on you to cut stuff out for the western release!?

One Armed Boxer

Twitch have posted an article showing the first footage from the movie, which is actually on a monitor which the camera just happens to film, but still it gives us a look into the sound-mixing process of the movie -

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/08/tiff-2011-see-the-first-footage-from-midnight-madness-opener-the-raid.php

OpiumKungFuCracker

Gotta love this quote by Drew Mcweeny....

I'm amazed how bad most action films are. All you really need is a compelling set-up, a hero we can get behind, and stakes that matter, and then you have to shoot action that makes sense. Somehow, that simple formula eludes many people in the genre, and to all of them, I would suggest a viewing of "The Raid." This is everything I could have hoped for from an action film in the Midnight Madness section and more. It is an enormous slice of entertainment, and I hope we hear an announcement soon for when American audiences will get to see the film. This deserves a real wide release, and I am willing to bet action fans will immediately elevate this to the canon of truly great works in the genre. If Evans and Uwais continue to work together, then we may be in for one of the great runs in action history, and I eagerly await anything they make.

thanks for the heads up that looks good and violent:bigsmile:I am a little concerned as part way through during some of the action the camera is like really shaking quite vigourously, I hope there's not too much of that.

Other than that I think Gareth Evans should send us sampler DVDs so that we can watch the film now .:wink::bigsmile:

This looks incredible, sure to be the best martial arts/action film of the year. Merantau was decent enough, but this looks a lot better! Sony would be wise to hurry up and get this a wide theatrical release, otherwise it will be difficult to wait for this one.