The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Its unreal that this movie has now been reduced to only 2 theaters again in my area between NYC & NJ! And it only has 1 showing tomorrow at 12pm in NJ which I will be going to.

ShaOW!linDude

Well, it played a whopping 1 whole week in Birmingham. Now it's gone. Never got to see. No funds. Bills come first. Sux.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well, it played a whopping 1 whole week in Birmingham. Now it's gone. Never got to see. No funds. Bills come first. Sux.

The good people at KFC, would anyone willing to chip in and donate $1 each and buy ShaOW!linDude a movie ticket???

ShaOW!linDude
The good people at KFC, would anyone willing to chip in and donate $1 each and buy ShaOW!linDude a movie ticket???

Shit I'd buy him the Ticket to see this movie!

Dudes! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the sentiment and gesture. That really means a lot to me.

But it's gone, brothers. It played a week and it's gone.

If I really needed to see it so badly, I could've robbed my kids' piggy banks....but I'm not that kind of Dad. (Though I'm ashamed to admit the thought crossed my mind.)

Look, I hate that I missed it, but it is what it is. I look at it this way: the $ I'd have spent on the ticket price will cover about half the cost of the dvd. I've been patient this long, what's a little more gonna hurt. That way I can watch whenever I want.

Still, you guys are so cool. You're making me...all....teary...eyed....:cry:

Off topic I know, but just wanted to say thank you to helios and opiumkungfucracker. I'm a massive fan of Ong Bak 2. In fact I think it's a masterpiece. Always been confused why it gets so much hate, so really pleased that someone else appreciates it besides me.

'The Raid' is by fantastic by the way. Saw it at the Dublin Film Festival and the crowd went through the roof. Best experience I've had at the cinema since seeing Ong Bak 2 in a Bangkok multiplex.

Sorry to continue the off topic, but I had no idea Ong Bak 2 gets so much hate. Thats shocking.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Sorry to continue the off topic, but I had no idea Ong Bak 2 gets so much hate. Thats shocking.

Because there is no silly Luc Besson remix/hip hop soundtrack or a funny bald headed side kick...

Guest Yi-Long

I didn't 'hate' Ong-Bak 2, but both Ong-Bak as well as TYG raised the bar completely when it came to the action, and OB2 kinda felt like a step back, action-wise. It also was a bit more weapon-based and I guess for many that might make it a bit less interesting.

I also didn't really CARE about the main character or the story in OB2. Not saying the story in OB or TYG was great or that the characters had 'depth' or anything, but it was just simple and likeable, which is all I really need in movies like this.

Not to jump off topic because this post is about The Raid but I loved Ong Bak #2 I thought pt#3 sucked ass! I felt they should've combined both movies into one movie.

Not to jump off topic because this post is about The Raid but I loved Ong Bak #2 I thought pt#3 sucked ass! I felt they should've combined both movies into one movie.

I 2nd that. Ong Bak 2 was leaps and bounds better than part 1. On par or slightly above Tom Yum Goong but not by much. Ong Bak 3 was such a disappointment compared to those 2 films. I still prefer The Raid probably because its more recent but mostly because there was maybe 20-30 mins of dialogue and the rest was either gunplay or MA displays.

OK I went to see this again today in the theaters there was a lot more people than I expected! And everyone was like Oh WOW! It sucked that it only had 1 showing at 12pm. But Damn it was better the 2nd time around!

Drunken Monk

I finally got up and yesterday and decided to go and watch "The Raid" in downtown DC. I walked out my front door only to find out it was pissing it down with rain outside, but I was determined. I donned my coat and headed to the train.

Apparently, nobody had informed me the trains weren't running due to construction. Damn it. alas, I hopped on a shuttle bus and made my long journey to the theater.

There were roughly seven people in the showing I went to, but it was a pretty early showing. I can honestly say that those other six people recreated the atmosphere of a thronging crowd. We whooped and "ah'd" throughout the entire film.

I loved it. Gareth Evans (a fellow Welshman, no less!) knows what to give people and knows how to give it well. The two-on-one finale fight was the icing on the cake. I was adrenaline fueled and giddy by the time it ended.

Iko Uwai's choreography was a step up and I'm looking forward to see what he can do. In fact, my wish is to see him do something a little more shape orientated but that doesn't seem to be the way fight choreography is going.

It's amazing film; a real feat for kung fu cinema. It plays out as a haunted house film, really, except this house is haunted by mental guys with machetes. There's a real sense of being trapped and each fight scene is a really display of Rama trying to get the hell out of there.

The camera angles, editing, gritty feel, gun-play, ballistic hand-to-hand exchanges and characters all make it exactly what I hoped for. Yep, easily one of the best action films in the last decade...by a mile.

FYI, for those of you w/o a local showing, starting around the 2 minute mark you can see some of the fighting we've been raving about:

(Warning: SPOILERS, profanity, etc.)

UrQ6v8gnQ-c

Seeing these clips makes me want to see the film again!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I applaud you folks who had to take the freaking train/bus just to go see a movie, my goodness!!!! I mean that is a lot of trouble to get through, if I may ask, where do some of you live, NYC???? Chicago??? Jersey??? England???

Drunken Monk
I applaud you folks who had to take the freaking train/bus just to go see a movie, my goodness!!!! I mean that is a lot of trouble to get through, if I may ask, where do some of you live, NYC???? Chicago??? Jersey??? England???

I live in Maryland, but DC is pretty accessible (via train). I actually plan on going to see it again before the run ends.

I live in Maryland, but DC is pretty accessible (via train). I actually plan on going to see it again before the run ends.

Wait, you're in MD? What theater did you go to? I went to Cinemark at Arundel Mills. Small world :tongue:

EDIT: Wait, saw you went to DC... but Cinemark is easier to get to than the DC theaters :tongue:

@OpiumKungFuCracker: I live in Staten Island, NY, on the borderline of NJ. DAMN I just seen this yesterday again and after watching the video clip I want to see it again!

Drunken Monk
Wait, you're in MD? What theater did you go to? I went to Cinemark at Arundel Mills. Small world :tongue:

EDIT: Wait, saw you went to DC... but Cinemark is easier to get to than the DC theaters :tongue:

Wow, it's playing at Arundel Mills? I had no idea. The problem is that I don't drive and so a quick train to Metro Center does it for me. The Landmark E Street theater is the one playing it in DC.

planned to see this tonight in brixton but tickets are all sold out , oh well a few more weeks to go to a general release.

There's another show of The Raid on Friday 4th May -10pm in Brixton.:bigsmile:

Just caught it last night. Its been playing in 4 different theaters for the last two weeks here. I don't think its playing next week so I had to check it out while I could.

This is one ultraviolent movie, I don't think I've seen that many people shot in the head at point blank range in one movie, not to mention the number hacked by machettes.

Very dark, sweaty and grimey, it was really well made, even the music score was well done. Some of the fights seemed to go on a bit long but they were quality. I've seen a couple of the modern Thai movies and they seemed like little more than set ups for elaborate stunts and fight scenes, the Raid seemed more like an actual movie that has some cool stunts and fight scenes in it. Not that you should expect a ground breaking story but as I said earlier it is very well made.

After seeing this I think I need to see more modern movies from SE Asia. They have picked up the torch from HK and they are taking it in their own direction.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Just caught it last night. Its been playing in 4 different theaters for the last two weeks here. I don't think its playing next week so I had to check it out while I could.

This is one ultraviolent movie, I don't think I've seen that many people shot in the head at point blank range in one movie, not to mention the number hacked by machettes.

Very dark, sweaty and grimey, it was really well made, even the music score was well done. Some of the fights seemed to go on a bit long but they were quality. I've seen a couple of the modern Thai movies and they seemed like little more than set ups for elaborate stunts and fight scenes, the Raid seemed more like an actual movie that has some cool stunts and fight scenes in it. Not that you should expect a ground breaking story but as I said earlier it is very well made.

After seeing this I think I need to see more modern movies from SE Asia. They have picked up the torch from HK and they are taking it in their own direction.

Yep definitely violent and bloody as any action movies coming out this year... Watching someone get hacked to pieces with a machete is more brutal and satisfying than seeing someone get blasted by guns.. Be on the lookout for more action movies to have more Machete death than ever before...

inframan's post has got me thinking about the score. I was worried about Shinoda doing a new one (I was a HUGE Linkin Park fan up until I was about 14, then I kinda outgrew them), but I thought it turned out excellent. It doesn't draw too much attention to itself, but it DOES enhance what's happening onscreen. Some of my favorite bits were the fight between Mad Dog and Jaka (the combination of minimal music with the visual of Mad Dog wrestling Jaka's life away from him was great), the drug lab raid (the way the music builds), the 2-on-1 (specifically the part where Andi notices the broken bit from the fluorescent light), and the last few moments, which leads me to another thought.

Was anybody else as into the brothers' relationship as I was? I know we're talking about a martial arts movie, but I loved that part of the story. I've seen The Raid twice now, both times with my kid brother. We're real tight, and here we are watching these siblings band together to take down an absolute beast. They tell us very little about the characters, but what little they tell I found to be enough. Their relationship felt real. My favorite line of the movie is probably when Rama asks Andi why he's decided to stick around, and Andi says something along the lines of, "For the same reasons you decided to keep that suit. It just fits!" And then the unsure smirk on Andi's face as he walks away. I didn't need to know anymore, the movie said enough.