The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Seeing it for the 10th time tonight. I've yet to see what floor Rama meets with Lt. Wayhu and Dagu in the 3rd act.

Fourth Floor.

I disagree with your theory about the lab was in the 9th floor. It seemed the lab was in the same floor with Mad Dog's torture chamber.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Saw this with my cousin it was quite good. Hong Kong and the American film industries need to wake up.

Yep, and Thai

OpiumKungFuCracker
And Korean... and Japanese.

You know they actually get a pass from me because those countries aren't really known for action/martial arts flick in the same way as HK and Thai but I could be wrong because I haven't seen any of the newer ones in awhile...

waywardsage

Saw it last week. Jaw dropping action! The best action film in years!

Lets be honest here. When has a martial arts film got us this excited in the last 5 years?!

There hasn't been one. Donnie does his thing, but there's never enough action. Jaa's great, but some of his stuff tends to feel stunt reel-ish. The Raid had quality and quantity up the wazoo. It really makes you wonder - why the hell don't the best just go out there and put on a good show? 'Cause Gareth and Co. are making everybody else look foolish.

There hasn't been one. Donnie does his thing, but there's never enough action. Jaa's great, but some of his stuff tends to feel stunt reel-ish. The Raid had quality and quantity up the wazoo. It really makes you wonder - why the hell don't the best just go out there and put on a good show? 'Cause Gareth and Co. are making everybody else look foolish.

I agree. Any new MA films I watch from here on out will be compared to The Raid. Never have I been so excited to see a film and then speechless after viewing it.

oneskyforall

I saw this movie 2 nights ago and damn it was one of the greatest action films I have ever seen. There were so many points that were so tense I would literally hold my breath.

I wanted to love Broken Path, but there was just so much action so so little variety that it started to blend together. It was all a blur at the end of it all. It was all good, but it was just too much. I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's true.

OpiumKungFuCracker
13 Assassins was great but the intensity and creativity in The Raid is hard to match,

It could go either way, but I'm more of a samurai/jidaigeki type kind of guy and if it's done as epic as humanly possible in Takashi Miike's movie, it's go down as one of my favorites in my book.. 13 Assassins had me on the edge of my seat and sweatin... It was balls to the walls action awesome, especially that last 40 mins of the movie, WATCH THE FOCK OUT!!!!

Guest Yi-Long
13 Assassins was great but the intensity and creativity in The Raid is hard to match,

I still haven't seen 13 Assassins, sadly, because there's only a cut version available :cry:

I do have the longer cut downloaded but I usually don't really watch movies on my PC...

It could go either way, but I'm more of a samurai/jidaigeki type kind of guy and if it's done as epic as humanely possible in Takashi Miike's movie, it's go down as one of my favorites in my book.. 13 Assassins had me on the edge of my seat and sweatin... It was balls to the walls action awesome, especially that last 40 mins of the movie, WATCH THE FOCK OUT!!!!

That's what I'm saying, the last 40 mins of the movie were ridiculous. In The Raid, after the 1st 20 mins, you're just bombarded with action sequences.

My God... Am I just completely off my rocker? Am I missing something here? I saw this last night and I do NOT understand all the hype and praise behind it! Sure, it was good. It was entertaining. But it is far from the best action/MA film in years like many are claiming. There isn't a single moment in the action that stood out to me, not a single "oh shit" moment in the choreography. Maybe I'm just not into his style? I'm not knocking on anyone here, I'm glad you guys loved it, I just don't really see it. Am I alone here?

OpiumKungFuCracker
My God... Am I just completely off my rocker? Am I missing something here? I saw this last night and I do NOT understand all the hype and praise behind it! Sure, it was good. It was entertaining. But it is far from the best action/MA film in years like many are claiming. There isn't a single moment in the action that stood out to me, not a single "oh shit" moment in the choreography. Maybe I'm just not into his style? I'm not knocking on anyone here, I'm glad you guys loved it, I just don't really see it. Am I alone here?

Finally a different view from the obvious high praise this film was getting.. Just curious what are some of your favorite action/MA in years?? What is your favorite style seen on film?? Did you like Ip Man?? Was Ong Bak your favorite??

I wouldn't say The Raid is the best action movie in decades but I would agree its the best action movie in recent years. Iko carving up the bad guys like a Christmas turkey with a butcher knife was a "oh shit" moment for me.

Finally a different view from the obvious high praise this film was getting.. Just curious what are some of your favorite action/MA in years?? What is your favorite style seen on film?? Did you like Ip Man?? Was Ong Bak your favorite??

I absolutely loved both Ip Man and Ong Bak 2. Those two movies are the best in recent years in my opinion. Just the quality of the choreography and execution in both those films was amazing. Something just felt off for me with The Raid, I don't know. I think the gun fights went on for ages, and a lot of the fighting felt repetitive (maybe because most of the fights took place in the same types of hallways?). The final fight in particular I think dragged on way too long and was a little absurd to me (though I still enjoyed it). I actually prefer Merantau to The Raid..had some more charm and the fights were more creative.

I wouldn't say The Raid is the best action movie in decades but I would agree its the best action movie in recent years. Iko carving up the bad guys like a Christmas turkey with a butcher knife was a "oh shit" moment for me.

Actually, that was probably my favorite part right there. That and probably the fights with Mad Dog.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I absolutely loved both Ip Man and Ong Bak 2. Those two movies are the best in recent years in my opinion. Just the quality of the choreography and execution in both those films was amazing. Something just felt off for me with The Raid, I don't know. I think the gun fights went on for ages, and a lot of the fighting felt repetitive (maybe because most of the fights took place in the same types of hallways?). The final fight in particular I think dragged on way too long and was a little absurd to me (though I still enjoyed it). I actually prefer Merantau to The Raid..had some more charm and the fights were more creative.

See this is the kind of discussion I like, although you didn't seemed to praise it as highly as us but at least you gave it a fair criticism if that makes any sense... I too prefer Ong Bak 2 more than the original only because of how large the scale was and Tony Jaa went ape shit in that movie...

gwailosforever

Off topic I know, but just wanted to say thank you to helios and opiumkungfucracker. I'm a massive fan of Ong Bak 2. In fact I think it's a masterpiece. Always been confused why it gets so much hate, so really pleased that someone else appreciates it besides me.

'The Raid' is by fantastic by the way. Saw it at the Dublin Film Festival and the crowd went through the roof. Best experience I've had at the cinema since seeing Ong Bak 2 in a Bangkok multiplex.

The Amazing Psycho Per
You know a movie is good when The Amazing Pyscho praises it... You are probably one of the most jaded movie observer on here

See, I'm not that jaded, that guy is more then me.:xd: