The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

OpiumKungFuCracker
6xLq0DKQzYE&feature=channel_video_title

Awesome, short people could whoop some ass.. I remember a couple occasions where a guy was like 5 flat fighting a guy over 6 foot and he whooped that ass... He got a good southern ass whoopin...

OK I went to see this movie today in NYC, all I can say it was Off the Hook Amazing! One of the best action movies that I've ever seen! non-stop action from beginning to end! A must see in the movies!

OpiumKungFuCracker
OK I went to see this movie today in NYC, all I can say it was Off the Hook Amazing! One of the best action movies that I've ever seen! non-stop action from beginning to end! A must see in the movies!

I'm watching Hard Boiled now to prepare myself for next week release here in Houston...

I love Hard Boiled & The Killer and when I tell you this movie blew them both away, I mean it blew them into a million pieces!

OpiumKungFuCracker
I love Hard Boiled & The Killer and when I tell you this movie blew them both away, I mean it blew them into a million pieces!

Nice!!!!!:tongue:

Philip Kwok's character.

The original Venoms himself, nice!!!!:tongue:

I'm hoping this movie gets action back on track, interesting that Evans said Commando was a huge influence for him in action, I have to admit I watched Commando 100 times when I was younger, a movie with probably the corniest last punch line ever.

I've heard the editing in The Raid is seamless, I really hope the Thais take heed.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm going into this movie for the Silat fighting choreography.. The bullet ballet is just extra dessert for me...

odioustrident

Saw it last night in NY; great stuff with a ton of action not seen in the clips. I will see this again it's one of the greats... but I do wish the fight scenes followed the escalating progression of many action movies. The final fight is long and awesome... just nothing new in the context of the film. You get a little desensitized by the end, but we're used to that on the kfc forums!

Looks like a lot of critics are reacting favorably to a film that's basically a nonstop series of setpieces, something they would totally pan in other circumstances. It amazes me how most film journalism doesn't have true consistency of opinion.

Looks like a lot of critics are reacting favorably to a film that's basically a nonstop series of setpieces, something they would totally pan in other circumstances. It amazes me how most film journalism doesn't have true consistency of opinion.

With that being said it's definitely how you put those setpieces together, it's a fine line, most movies fail in that they try to throw in some unneeded plot in the middle, or they can't one up the action from scene to scene. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a perfect movie of action pacing(probably minus the Fu Sheng parts but hell it was his last movie).

Saw it last night in NY; great stuff with a ton of action not seen in the clips. I will see this again it's one of the greats... but I do wish the fight scenes followed the escalating progression of many action movies. The final fight is long and awesome... just nothing new in the context of the film. You get a little desensitized by the end, but we're used to that on the kfc forums!

If the end fight is long and awesome, how it's not following an escalating progression? I haven't seen it yet but never heard of anyone being desensitized by action in this forum:xd:

OpiumKungFuCracker

I can watch fight choreography for hours never feel tedious or boring if done right... Bullet ballet on the other hand I sometimes have a problem with because it's just people getting shot in different places and they die or injured, unless they showcase different types of guns that will keep me a little entertained at least or move to a different area and then shoot some more...

odioustrident
With that being said it's definitely how you put those setpieces together, it's a fine line, most movies fail in that they try to throw in some unneeded plot in the middle, or they can't one up the action from scene to scene. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a perfect movie of action pacing(probably minus the Fu Sheng parts but hell it was his last movie).

If the end fight is long and awesome, how it's not following an escalating progression? I haven't seen it yet but never heard of anyone being desensitized by action in this forum:xd:

The setpieces don't ramp up so much in scale or creative content. There is a fantastic standard throughout the film though. The same critics that were calling "game of death" style progression too basic are applauding this film. I think some critics understand the fine line but not many.

Guest Markgway

This movie has just come onto my radar. Where was I? Opens in the UK on May 18th. Better than The Killer and Hard-Boiled? Fucking unlikely -- but I'll give it a whirl if shows at my local arthouse cinema (I don't do multiplexes anymore).

Better than The Killer and Hard-Boiled? Fucking unlikely

@Markgway: I will say this The Killer & Hard Boiled are truly masterpiece movies by Legendary Director John Woo. But this movie being we are in a newer age of Action Movies blows them away! But again this is my own Opinion. And as far as action movies go, I always compare them to those 2 movies! But The Raid surpassed everything I thought it was going to be & more! It had more Hand to Hand combat which the other 2 movies didn't! So again you have to judge it for yourself! So what I think of as a great movie you might not! That's why we all post our opinions on here!

@Markgway: I will say this The Killer & Hard Boiled are truly masterpiece movies by Legendary Director John Woo. But this movie being we are in a newer age of Action Movies blows them away! But again this is my own Opinion. And as far as action movies go, I always compare them to those 2 movies! But The Raid surpassed everything I thought it was going to be & more! It had more Hand to Hand combat which the other 2 movies didn't! So again you have to judge it for yourself! So what I think of as a great movie you might not! That's why we all post our opinions on here!

I've not seen the movie and given the comments I'm sure it's going to be a top action film. But I would be hesitant to make such lofty comparisons not least for the expectation levels people going into the film will have. Still I'm very much looking forward to the DVD release, more so after your comments.:bigsmile:

I'm hyped for this. But comparing it to The Killer and Hard Boiled? I think in this age of action film-making, it's easy for people to get excited over exceptional films - something of a major rarity today - and make comparisons to classics. I guess that says something though.

Looking forward to seeing it.

I hate comparisons as well, especially against two of THE best in the genre.

I read somewhere various critics comparing the Viral Factor to John Woo's films as well, while it is good it is nowhere near these classics.

I am sure The Raid will be great and i cant wait to see it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The cinematography and lighting looks something shot out of Fincher's 'FIght Club.' But that's just me though...

I know its not fair to compare a classic to this movie but as I've stated I always compare action movies to those 2 which I consider the best of the best! And right now this movie is at the Top! But again its my own Opinion!

According to the Box Office stats it looks like The Raid made about $220k on its opening weekend, which isn’t bad because it only played in 14 theaters. That’s $15.8k per theater, the second highest theater average gross for the weekend. The Hunger Games was the only one that beat it in this category which got $37.5k per theater… but it blew out 21 Jump Street which only made $6.8k per theater (on its second weekend).

It sucks that I’ll have to wait another three weeks before it gets released in Oklahoma City (like two hours away :cry:). I hope it will be worth the wait and drive.

ShaOW!linDude
It sucks that I’ll have to wait another three weeks before it gets released in Oklahoma City (like two hours away :cry:). I hope it will be worth the wait and drive.

Hey, if you're gonna commit to that kind of trip, may as well make it a double feature and see it twice!:xd:

@Pai Mei: I agree with you I was pissed that it was only playing in 2 theaters in all of NYC & nowhere in NJ so I had to go into the city to see this movie! And believe me it was worth all the BS to get to the city to watch it! I went to an early show and there wasn't a lot of People there but those of us who were there were like OMG! This Shit is Off the Hook! I mean the storyline wasn't nothing really original it was just the action scenes that was unreal! I cannot wait for this movie to get on DVD! I'm figuring with it being a foreign film getting a US release it will be on DVD by the summertime!

Guest Markgway

Of course Diasho is entitled to his opinion... I'm just wary of hype connected with any new movie as 9/10 I'm disappointed with the result. But we'll see.... ;)

Shaolin Patriot

I saw the film over the weekend in Los Angeles, to a packed theater. I really enjoyed the film - good pacing, plenty of thrills and FANTASTIC fight sequences. Looking forward to the sequel. Highly recommended!!