The Raid / Serbuan Maut (2012)

ghevans

Hope it's ok for me to post this here, but as we're about to begin production on Iko Uwais' 2nd film "THE RAID" (Indonesian Title: SERBUAN MAUT literal translation Deadly Assault) I figured I'd shamelessly pimp the project for those interested.

Here's they synopsis:

A swat team arrives at a rundown apartment block with a mission to remove its owner,

a notorious drug lord named Tama. The building has never been raided before, never

been touched by police. Seen as a no go zone it has since become a sanctuary to

killers, gangs, rapists and thieves seeking accommodation in the one place they know

they cannot be touched.

Making their move in the break of dawn the swat team work their way up the building

under cover of silence. But when a chance encounter with a spotter blows their cover

and with news of their assault traveling to Tama in his penthouse suite the building is

locked down with all lights out and all exits blocked.

Stranded on the 6th floor the swat team must fight their way through every floor and

every room not just to complete their mission but to survive.

Like on Merantau I'm planning to blog the experience of making the film, a little differently this time though. We will still make video blogs covering the production of the film but we're not planning to release them until closer to the films local release (early 2012).

For now, I'm covering the experience in a personal blog that will hopefully give you guys an insight into the project, what we hope to achieve with it, how we approach filming etc and any tips or tricks we pick up along the way.

You can find the blog at: http://theraid-movie.blogspot.com

Enjoy and if you have any questions drop me a comment and I'll do my best to answer them in the upcoming blogs.

Cheers,

Gareth

Guest Yi-Long

The blog looks good. Love the picture with the sideways jump kick. Nice form and height.

The premise sounds great as well, kinda a SWAT-version of the Tower of Death concept. Awesome!

I do hope that the dark indoor shoots doesn't mean the action will be hard to follow on screen, in terms of lighting.

Good luck with the project.

Hope it's ok for me to post this here, but as we're about to begin production on Iko Uwais' 2nd film "THE RAID" (Indonesian Title: SERBUAN MAUT literal translation Deadly Assault) I figured I'd shamelessly pimp the project for those interested.

please shameless pimp the project:xd:

Hey Gareth it would be sooooooo sweet if you could post some exclusives here!!! you know like early fight clips etc!

can't wait to see this roll on 2012.:xd:

The Last Dragon

Ghevans thanks for the update. This sounds awesome like others said kind of like a Swat Team meets Game of Death kind of Story. Definitely we would appreciate Updates as you get them. Awesome experience I bet. Loved Merantau. Iko as got talent

Cheers all for the support guys.

Yi-Long - For sure the darker lighting setups will mostly be used for dramatic scenes and the lighting design is something we're working on seriously so we can crank it up for the fight sequences. The scenes shift through a number of corridors and rooms with different lighting styles so we will be able to keep the choreography clear and detailed.

blue_skies - As soon as anything is available in terms of clips/trailers etc I'll be sure to post links.

daisho2004 - We have a few returning cast from Merantau, obviously Iko is back but we also have Yayan Ruhian (Eric from Merantau) he has 2 major fight scenes in this film. We also have a national Judo champion Joe Taslim starring as the leader of the Swat team.

Hopefully they run out of bullets fast. :tongue: (I mean for the choreography of course.)

Looks good, cant wait.

Hopefully it will hit the states quickly on Blu Ray.:angel:

I agree with Yi as far as dark, so yeah hopefully it is lit well. I really don't like dark parts or darkness for that matter in movies.

Brief update, new blog entry about the camera testing, press con and some more news about Berandal also a little video...

http://theraid-movie.blogspot.com/

We're 8 days away from Day One, this week is all about final checks and last minute fixes before we start shooting.

In the meantime here's a poster we made...

The-Raid-(web).jpg

Brief update, new blog entry about the camera testing, press con and some more news about Berandal also a little video...

http://theraid-movie.blogspot.com/

We're 8 days away from Day One, this week is all about final checks and last minute fixes before we start shooting.

In the meantime here's a poster we made...

The-Raid-(web).jpg

Cool , Iko looks really bad ass!:xd:

I'm so looking forward to this movie.

highlight to read spoiler......

"While developing THE RAID in script form I started to toy around with the idea of creating a link between it and BERANDAL. And now I can announce that BERANDAL will actually serve as a sequel to THE RAID providing a continuation for Iko Uwais' character Rama. While some would see this news as a spoiler (i.e. his character doesn't die) I feel that if I killed off his character again so soon after MERANTAU I'd be one almighty fucking hack bereft of ways to finish a film.

So there you go, spoiler.... Iko survives and lives to fight another day."

I like that Berendal is a pre-planned sequel now rather than trying to cash in after the fact on a successful movie.

You won’t be getting an almost 3min trailer this time round… that was overkill on MERANTAU. This time we’re going leaner with our trailer enough to tease without spoiling what’s to come.

Gareth Nooooooooo! Your trailer was what sold Merantau , made me buy it on release. I hope you reconsider and perhaps release a longer trailer just for promotion on the internet .:bigsmile:

A. Besides the obvious budget issues personally, I don’t really like 3D. I can’t watch a film in 3D for longer than 10mins before I start to get a headache so the thought of spending months editing a film in 3D is just too much. Also, I genuinely wouldn’t know what to do with the medium besides throwing shit at the audience. I don’t really see how it would benefit a film like this. The talk is about complete immersion in the world of a film – but I don’t feel immersed in a 3D world, cos its not truly 3D its just layers with extra depth.

Other far more talented filmmakers than me can run with 3D technology, I’m happy to stick with 2D.

Brilliant, I loathe 3D.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm glad to here that plans for "Berendal" haven't been completely scuttled.

Smart move to incorporate it as a sequel for Iko's character.

What's the odds of filming the 2 back to back via a continuous production?:tongue: (Do I sound just a little bit greedy? I'm cool with that.)

Yi-Long - For you sir, I promise it will be uncut.

ShaOW!linDude - As much as I want to shoot Berandal I have no idea how anyone has the stamina to shoot 2 films back to back. We're definitely hoping the gap between films won't be as long this time round. I'm hopeful we can start Berandal middle of next year so it would be ready by early 2013.

blue_skies - Will have a small sneak promo soon, we shot something a few days ago. Can't say anything about it yet but in a week or so it will end up online.

And in the meantime, here's a new blog.

http://theraid-movie.blogspot.com/2011/04/week-one-week-two-and-bit-of-three.html

blue_skies - Will have a small sneak promo soon, we shot something a few days ago. Can't say anything about it yet but in a week or so it will end up online.

I can't wait Gareth!

While I think of it I hope you include *all* the video blogs that you use for promotional stuff on the internet appears on the DVD this time.

wizard12220

Nice to have you posting here Gareth. Actually I saw you when you were screening Merantau at JIFFest, Jakarta.

Since you stay in Jakarta at the moment, it will be interesting if you can have Willy Dozan (Billy Chong) appears in your movie.

One Armed Boxer

While not actual footage as such, Iko Uwais sent this message to the fans at Action Fest Mark Two from the set of the movie. It at least provides a brief feel of what we're in for, and it looks like we're in for a good one!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/04/get-your-first-taste-of-iko-uwais-in-the-raid-serbuan-maut.php

While not actual footage as such, Iko Uwais sent this message to the fans at Action Fest Mark Two from the set of the movie. It at least provides a brief feel of what we're in for, and it looks like we're in for a good one!

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/04/get-your-first-taste-of-iko-uwais-in-the-raid-serbuan-maut.php

yes if those bodies in the hallway are any indication this film is going to have a high body count!:xd:

ShaOW!linDude

Just found this on Twitch. Apparently this will be premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival 2011 edition. I can't find any specific date listed though.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/08/the-raid-youre-next-the-day-announced-as-part-of-the-tiff-midnight-madness-program.php

Wish Gareth Evans would give us an update on this project.

Sorry for the overlong absence, things have been really hectic with the film - we're finishing all of the post-production in the next 2 - 3 weeks then the film goes directly to Toronto for the premiere. It's been a crazy few months, the shoot and the edit has been exhausting but it's really taking shape and I can't wait to show you guys.

We're prepping a trailer to release in the next few weeks so we'll definitely have something to show before the end of the month.

I've just started to update the blog last night. Will hopefully be able to update it a bit more regularly now that everything is starting to slow down.

Also, we're planning a re-release of the Indonesian DVD for MERANTAU soon. This will be a special edition DVD that will include a bunch of extra features, some merchandise and both International/Directors Cut of the film and also the soundtrack. Everything will have english subtitles on it. I'll let you know if any online stores stock it for International shipping.

Guest Yi-Long
Sorry for the overlong absence, things have been really hectic with the film - we're finishing all of the post-production in the next 2 - 3 weeks then the film goes directly to Toronto for the premiere. It's been a crazy few months, the shoot and the edit has been exhausting but it's really taking shape and I can't wait to show you guys.

We're prepping a trailer to release in the next few weeks so we'll definitely have something to show before the end of the month.

I've just started to update the blog last night. Will hopefully be able to update it a bit more regularly now that everything is starting to slow down.

Also, we're planning a re-release of the Indonesian DVD for MERANTAU soon. This will be a special edition DVD that will include a bunch of extra features, some merchandise and both International/Directors Cut of the film and also the soundtrack. Everything will have english subtitles on it. I'll let you know if any online stores stock it for International shipping.

That's awesome to hear about Merentau getting an enlish subbed uncut release :) Will it be on seperate discs or on 1 disc? Any news on if it will be region-free and/or region 2 will also one day get the Director's Cut!?

Also, with 'director's cut', do you mean it's the uncut indonesian version!? Cause you stated last time that you were sorry that some stuff had to be cut for the international release, but also felt some other stuff maybe worked better with the cuts...!? So in that sense the phrase 'director's cut' is a bit strange ;)

Cool to see The Raid being finished and close to release. You said we wouldn't get to see different cuts for that movie, right!? Or is there already some kind of pressuring on you to do so by western publishers!?

I hope it does very well in Toronto and that we'll be reading some very positive/rave reviews :) Good luck with that :)

that's good to hear I was wondering the other day what was happening with this film. Do you have any idea when this will be released on DVD, even roughly speaking? Has any company purchased the rights yet?in particular for the UK but any English-speaking country/region?

Is the international/directors cut of Merantau only being rereleased in Indonesia or are there any plans for releases elsewhere, obviously with English subtitles I mean?