2Pac''s films in retrospect

Guest kenichiku

Guest kenichiku

I'm not a really a fan of Tupac Shakur but there's no denying this late rapper's charisma for his generation. I really enjoyed watching his edgy debut in Ernest Dickerson's 'Juice' as I remember the goosebumps felt whenever he appeared on-screen. As I turned my back on American films for Asia much of the 90s, two films I always surfed past after a scene or two on HBO was 'Poetic Justice' (Janet Jackson was miscast IMO), 'Gridlock'd' (love Tim Roth) & 'Gang Related' (hate Jim Belushi) yet I never completely watched any of them straight thru. Perhaps it's time I did. Why should or shouldn't I? Your rank of his films and thoughts.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenichiku, I do not pretend to be the 2pac expert. You are correct about his charisma. His lyrical skills were quite good. A testament to that is the numerous rappers who still pay homage to him and mention him in their raps (he and bigggie both seem to have that effect).

Now his movies are something different. Juice was by far his best film. If you have Juiece I'm not sure you need to see anything else. Poetic Justice was a a joke and I share your sentiment about Janet. I'm not sure you need much reason as to why not to watch the other films - their relative lameness has kept you from finishing the films - I'm not sure you need much more reason than that.

Rindge

Guest drunkenmantis13

Gridlock'd is alright. Definitely not as good as Juice, but it's enjoyable...was to me at least. Don't go out of your way to buy it but if you've only seen Jiuce and want to see another one i'd go for Gridlock'd.

Guest Chen Zhen

juice was easily his best film out of the 3 u named. but at least to me, the real star of that film was Omar Epps. his other 2 films were solid. i had respect for tupac's music, but overall i wasnt a huge fan...hes got some lyrical skills but i guess a lot of his stuff i cant relate with/agree with..ie that whole thug life image.

interestingly, i read in a documentary that tupac, who was all about thug life and life in the ghetto and all that....actually attended a private school...definetely felt weird finding that out.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Hey, what about Above The Rim!! Walkin around with a razor blade up in his grill. Juice was really good, ATR was OK, all the others films arent worth your time. I agree Gridlock'd was watchable, but not worth making much of an effort to see. He deffinitely had presence on-screen, too bad not many good roles. On a negative note, he did help start the awful trend of putting rap stars in movies. But Tupac is deffinitley my all time fav rap performer.

Guest Chen Zhen

2pac was in above the rim??

well, that was mainly a Wesley Snipes engine...one of my fav films on the subject of basketball.

Guest kenichiku

I forgot about 'Above the Rim' but I never surfed past this one on HBO. Anyway, sounds like I don't need to chase down the mentioned 2Pac titles anytime soon. It's not like I don't have plenty new films to watch now.

Archived