1983 article: The Chinese Dream Machine

teako170

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!!!!! Love to see this kind of footage. Looks like Cat vs. Rat and Shaolin Prince were filmed at the same time. FS visting the Shaolin Prince set.

That place, was, huge! That set from Cat vs Rat was enormous with tons of detail.

Will read it later. Thanks.

What a fabulous article describing the work at the Shaw studios, and with great photo's too. Thanks, Teako, for finding and sharing this piece!

Awesome, I wonder what year the Shaw House building was built?

Good Q, Tosh. The administrative building was completed by the Fall of '61. Hard to believe the Shaws bought that spread (below) for just 45 cents a square foot (according to shaw-sg). Here's some various SS scans of the studio and its workings....

sbstudio1.jpg

sbstudio2.jpg

sbstudio3.jpg

sbstudio4.jpg

Guess I have to repeat myself. Thanks! If anyone ever wondered why they didn't pay their stars too much, here's why. He paid for everything. Lopping off mountain tops. Dorms, food, foley, sets, costumes, carpenters, lodging. Massive overhead running something like that.

thanks for posting! awesome stuff! I just got back from HK! If I would of seen this thread earlier, I would of tried to scavenge around the old shaw studio site or at least whatever is left on the old grounds.

thanks for posting! awesome stuff! I just got back from HK! If I would of seen this thread earlier, I would of tried to scavenge around the old shaw studio site or at least whatever is left on the old grounds.

Not much left from what Leeder told us. We tried to get the guard to let us in but no dice. At the main gate (red X), you can see how easy it would be to get to Run's Run's pad. I'm betting its still there. I know this house was featured in at least one CC film featuring David Chiang; maybe Dead End? Anyone recall?

If you took that road (marked in blue) it would have (at one time) led to the pagoda featured in so many films like New One-Armed Swordsman. We didn't venture up that road (was not within the Shaw lot) but I'm now wishing we had.

sbstudio1b.jpg

wow, I was no where near clearwater bay. It looks like a pretty remote area. I have to investigate the eastern side of kowloon on my next visit. Besides taxi or by car, are there public buses that go to clearwater bay around the shaw studios area?

Not much left from what Leeder told us. We tried to get the guard to let us in but no dice. At the main gate (red X), you can see how easy it would be to get to Run's Run's pad. I'm betting its still there. I know this house was featured in at least one CC film featuring David Chiang; maybe Dead End? Anyone recall?

If you took that road (marked in blue) it would have (at one time) led to the pagoda featured in so many films like New One-Armed Swordsman. We didn't venture up that road (was not within the Shaw lot) but I'm now wishing we had.

sbstudio1b.jpg

• Administrator

Priceless! :smile: Thanks so much Teako! :nerd: That's the first time I ever saw the whole spread of the SB ranch. Wow!

thelastweaponmaster

Wow Teako170.

That is a great comprehensive picture of the old Shaw Brothers studio lot. Can you provide the source of the picture? Did it come from a book or magazine article?

When you look at the picture, the studio doesn't really look all that big. But then again space in Hong Kong was/is at a premium.

Is there a comparable picture for the Golden Harvest studios back in its hey day. I understand the GH studios were much smaller.

Can you provide the source of the picture? Did it come from a book or magazine article?

Southern Screen; January 1976.

Besides taxi or by car, are there public buses that go to clearwater bay around the shaw studios area?

Not sure about the bus service out there. However, if you take the MTR Tseung Kwan O Line and then grab a cab, its dirt cheap. Despite having the physical address for the SB Studios, our poor cabbie still didn't know where it was. It was just dumb luck we spotted it at a red light and got out.

I wish i had some magazines like this, full of nice reference material! =D

If you haven't visited Ray's site lately, we're making all these magazines available via the LHMC.

A new issue premieres the first of each month and is downloadable in RAR or PDF.

Eventually over 120 issues will be available -- and all free.

If you haven't visited Ray's site lately, we're making all these magazines available via the LHMC.

A new issue premieres the first of each month and is downloadable in RAR or PDF.

Eventually over 120 issues will be available -- and all free.

APPLAUSE

It's an invaluable service to fans making these publications available. Many, many thanks. RSS feed: subscribed!

MarsHarmony

On page two of the "Shaw dream machine" article, who ever wrote the text for the pictures, misidentified Ti Lung and Fu Sheng.

It should say "Tong Gai shows Ti Lung how to fight as crew members watch", not Fu Sheng.

Still, I love the article, and I found and purchased a copy of Fighting Stars, February 1983 on ebay! yaaaay! Thanks for sharing the information Teako.

:yociexp105:

Archived