Five Deadly Venoms on Blu-ray 5/17

mpm74

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just a quick question...I have my fair share of blu-rays, but with martial arts movies i have no interes in getting any. What is the fascnation with buyin these classics in blu? I guess i dont get it...i think there is a certain charm in these classics not being hd! Just my two cents...

I'd completely dismiss this out of hand after the Dragon Dynasty Blu of 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN turned out to be a cruel joke - but the lack of subsequent Shaw Blu-rays from Dragon Dynasty since then, combined with the emergence of reportedly new and apparently high-grade HD transfers from Celestial shortly before this release announcement, has me a little curious about this disc.

What is the fascnation with buyin these classics in blu? I guess i dont get it...i think there is a certain charm in these classics not being hd!

You think its charming to watch bleary-as-fuck, VHS quality, non restored MA classics, do you? Maybe even on a 4:3, 23 inch tv monitor like back in the days?

Not my idea of charme, mate. These movies - Shaw movies in particular! - looked splendid when they were originally released. And nothing beats seeing properly remastered DVD's or Blu Rays capture this splendour in all its glory.

great, they get to botch another classic.

Gee, I’m getting tired of this kind of cynicism. Granted, I understand that they did a poor job on their BD’s of 36 CHAMBERS and THE KILLER. But their dozen or so DVD Shaw titles belong to the best that we’ve seen so far and every single one is worth to be picked up! (Can’t say the same about Funimation, WellGo or Image, can’t you?)

Oh well, I hear the screams… didn’t they fuck up big time with the lingo of MY YOUNG AUNTIE and 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER ? Both ought to be in Canto and these suckers dared to peddle Mandarin dubs. Well, I hear ya and believe you me, I obviously would have prefered the original language these classics were shot in, too…

But I guess all the critcism rings hollow to me since I learned that one of the loudest rabble-rousing DD haters – “wrong language, the fools!” was some jerk on (another) forum who was also selling DVDr’s of his 5.000 (or so) strong Kung Fu collection on Ebay. And when asked once if a particular (subbed) movie was in Cantonese or Mandarin he responded with “I don’t know, its Chinese, can’t tell the difference!” Meaning, this hardcore and long-time collector of CHINESE martial arts films could not tell the difference between a Mandarin and a Cantonese version… but screams foul when DD – part of the Weinstein’s Empire of Evil – have the audacity to dish up the “wrong” language! Well, I found this kind of phoniness truly mind-boggling and ever since learned to take exalted bitching pow-wow’s concerning virtually every Dragon Dynasty release with a pinch of salt.

Lol, nooo you misunderstood me...I llike the remastered versions, but is dvd quality remastered not enough? thats all im sayin...i cant watch any kung fu thats not re-,mastered, just dont need it on blu ray, standard dvd is good enuf for me........

@ dnuts24

Aiiight, I hear you, bro. Mistook you as one of those whining "I love my smudgy & blurry ol' skool flix, it feels more authentic" masochists who're lurking around forums such as this... :wink:

But seriously now, have you compared some of the BD Shaws with their DVD counterparts? I mean, I finally tracked down a BD copy of OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER and I was just blown away when I watched this on a fat screen LCD tv... Even the much less appealing BD's that WellGo USA issued look a hell of a lot better than the DVD's. Guess you should take the plunge and make a comparism too!

Sheng, I will sell you my BD copy of 36th Chamber for $1 and postage.

They failed badly with this classic. And THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

and you cannot tell me I am not a Shaw fan. From my massive SB Poster collection...

36th-2.jpg

froffeecoffee
Lol, nooo you misunderstood me...I llike the remastered versions, but is dvd quality remastered not enough? thats all im sayin...i cant watch any kung fu thats not re-,mastered, just dont need it on blu ray, standard dvd is good enuf for me........

YES! There is a huge difference between dvd and Blu Ray. And NO, dvd is not good enough anymore, for me at least.

With BR you get a picture and sound that is theater quality. Since there are practically no Shaw/Classic Kung Fu releases, fans seem to be content with standard dvd. Plus not everyone have a HD television or theater sound system where the difference is apparent.

The problem lies with the distributors. No one seems to want to remaster classic kung fu movies to BR because the fan base is fairly small. Outside of Media Blasters, no one takes the time to do it right either.

YES! There is a huge difference between dvd and Blu Ray. And NO, dvd is not good enough anymore, for me at least.

With BR you get a picture and sound that is theater quality. Since there are practically no Shaw/Classic Kung Fu releases, fans seem to be content with standard dvd. Plus not everyone have a HD television or theater sound system where the difference is apparent.

The problem lies with the distributors. No one seems to want to remaster classic kung fu movies to BR because the fan base is fairly small. Outside of Media Blasters, no one takes the time to do it right either.

I should have worded my post alot different haha.... I have a ton of blu rays..and a big screen 1080p plasma...so i def. know the media format difference, i was just talking in particular to the classic martial arts films....but i am going to compare some of these and see whats up.....and ya u are right...smaller fan base...i wonder if films like "Magnificent Butcher, or "Knockabout" will receive the blu treatement....

Rogue Warrior, I'm not gonna buy your 36 CHAMBERS BD for even one buck (but I'd buy some of your Shaw posters for a lot more than that! :bigsmile:)

Actually I'm quite happy with the Dragon Dynasty DVD of that same title. Yes, they did a poor job on the BD, as I stated. But I'm tired of the cynicism concerning their entire output, thought I made that clear. BTW, never questioned your "Shaw fan" status, wonder what makes you say that. Pax, OK?

froffeecoffee
I should have worded my post alot different haha.... I have a ton of blu rays..and a big screen 1080p plasma...so i def. know the media format difference, i was just talking in particular to the classic martial arts films....but i am going to compare some of these and see whats up.....and ya u are right...smaller fan base...i wonder if films like "Magnificent Butcher, or "Knockabout" will receive the blu treatement....

When it comes to older movies being remastered to BR, if done right, they look great! I have the BR Opium and the Kung Fu Master and it looks fantastic! For now that is how the classic martial arts films should look. Unfortunately that is the only one worth the purchase.

I wonder the same thing about the other classics too. I think they'll eventually make their way to Blu Ray. Slowly some HK classics are being released like the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy, Iron Monkey (93), and the Prison on Fire Series. This might be a sign of others to come.

The problem is no big studio is releasing these and the quality isn't the best it could be compared to Miramax's release of Iron Monkey, which doesn't have the original music, subtitles, or credits.

I will def. check out that title on blu, thanks for the info...and i ended up getting the hkl legends dvd of iron monkey its far superior than the us released version.

I really believe that DD learned their lesson from their 36th Chamber catastrophe, and I would put my money on this release satisifying the majority of us.

I will def. check out that title on blu, thanks for the info...and i ended up getting the hkl legends dvd of iron monkey its far superior than the us released version.

The BR of Opium can be quite hard to find at a resonable price nowadays. But I would add that the BRs Shaws that Tokyo Shock has released are well worth picking up. The WellGo BRs arn't too bad either, however I think they are all only 1080i... which looks a whole lot better than their DVD releases.

Guest Markgway
Slowly some HK classics are being released like the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy, Iron Monkey (93), and the Prison on Fire Series.

In SD upscales.

This might be a sign of others to come.

Unfortunately yes.

Kennedy Il Sung

I wish people were more optimistic. I won't judge the product till I have it in my hands.

BTW, were did you get this info MPM?

kungfusamurai

After DD's 36th Chamber blu ray travesty, I definitely won't be pre-ordering this one. I'll wait until the reviews come out on the quality. They better not mess this one up.

KFS

Saying I'm "on the fence" about this is an understatement. Their release of 36th Chamber of Shaolin is enough to scare anyone away from possibly getting this. 1080i AND improper pal to ntsc conversion?! No thanks.

However, when the opportunity presented itself to happen yet again when Hard Boiled came out (thanks to the same 1080i issue happening with The Killer), they managed to pull off a proper film speed 1080p transfer... albeit, it wasn't a great master, but at least it was 1080p... a start, really.

Now, considering they could pull this off with Hard Boiled, AND the fact that EVERY DD DVD release of the SB films have been at 24p film speed, they should be able to get it right. I know it seems to be asking for a lot from this company, but I do love the idea of more SB films on blu-ray.

Archived