First Post! Need Some Recommendations!

dnuts24

Hi all, I am a martial arts movie fan...and having growin up like many of you watching kung fu theater ( black belt theater ) etc...but lately the bug has bitten in full effect and i have the fever, so I have been buying good quality releases. I have a region free player and have bought from some austrailian sites for hkl releases ( way of dragon, iron monkey etc ) So here is a list of shaws that i have, if you could please recomeend some more to buy, i am only interested in widescreen digitally remastered good quality movies with subtitles....

I have the following:

- Heroes of the east

- Five element Ninjas

- 36th Chamber of shaolin

- Return to the 36 chambers

- Kid with the golden arm

- Crippled avengers

- Five deadly venoms

- My young auntie

- Come drink with me

- Challenge of the masters

- Master of the flying guillotine

- Shaolin mantis

By the way all of these are either dragon dynasty or tokyo shock except master of the flying which is the 2 disc us release

What else should i pick up that is great quality? If you could post cover art if its not too much to ask or a link that way i know the best copy to buy....I am a poker player and do pretty decent so next good month ima make a large purchase

what about fist of the white lotus? Any good copy of this keep in mind i can buy since im region free, what about clan of the white lotus?

i also have the classics from jackie chan, sammo hung, bruce lee etc.....I value your input as I know many die - hards are here....so suggest some great films for me please...and thanks in advance....

-D-

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

These are all region one remasters some with english dubs:

Invincible Shaolin -venoms

Have Sword Will Travel -david chiang/ku feng/ti lung

Shaolin Rescuers -venoms

Human Lanterns -chen kuan tai/liu yung/lo lieh/ lo meng ultra horror kung fu

The Delightful Forest -this is one of the best choreographed martial arts flicks

The Duel -ultra sick ti lung/david chiang basher flick

The Heroic Ones -all star cast excellent film

All Men Are Brothers -another all star ultra violent film

Two Champions Of Shoalin -two venoms

Shaolin Intruders -pai pao/derek yee/ultra stunts by choreographed by tang chia

Soul Of The Sword -ti lung/ku feng

King Boxer -excellent excellent choreographed martial arts by liu yung w/lo lieh

House Of Traps -venoms

Flag Of Iron -excellent venoms

Bells Of Death -chang yi/ku feng

The Water Margin -all star cast w/ two japanese stars

The Wandering Swordsman -david chiang/lily li

The Lady Hermit -lo lieh

Web Of Death -lo lieh/ yeuh hua

Life Gamble -venoms

There is alot more. This thread will help a great deal: http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6818 Just go to amazon and you'll find all these flicks. Go to 'Which 50 Shaw Flicks Tops Them All' sticky thread on this forum and you'll get some more ideas for the R3 releases.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Non Shaws worthy of mention:

The Green Jade Statuette -tommy lee

The Hot The Cool And The Vicious -tommy lee

Along Comes A Tiger -tommy lee

Game Of Death -chang yi/tommy lee

Thanks so much i was unclear if funamation or image releases are good...you totally cleared that up as all of these are those companies releasees......

Thanks alot I plan on gettting all of these that you recommend , i forgot i had king boxer already but do not have the others...thanks again!

Any more people out there with recommendations?

The IVL Clan of the White Lotus should still be available, unless some one R1 puts it out it's the best there is. You should pick up, Executioners From Shaolin if you get Lotus, becuase, if I remember correctly, Lotus is the sequel to Shaolin.

A few more non-Shaws

There's an R4 Hapkido (Angela Mao, Carter Wong, Sammo Hung) (Magna Pacific) that's worth picking up

Fortune Star (HK) has put out digitally restored discs of ZU: Warriors From The Magic Mountain and Mr Vampire

cool thanks for the help...what about Lord of the wu-tang? Mystery of chessboxing? and Martial arts of shaolin? any good images on these?

and Martial arts of shaolin?

It`s not as good as shaolin temple but slightly better than kids from shaolin.Marginals are tiny though and all worth seeing few times.

Is Lord of the Wu-Tang the one about mysticism and magic? Its been awhile since i have seen this, but i seem to recall that was what it covered....if so, is there any release that has been remastered for this title? again thanks for all the suggestions...i will end up getting all of these that you guys suggested....

Archived