Anybody know what the story was behind Bruce auditioning for Shaw Bros. Studios?

Golden Arm Kid

Golden Arm Kid

I've seen the pictures and was just curious when they were taken and under what circumstances. Was Bruce seriously planning to make a move to SB?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce began negotiations to make a film with Shaw Bros and actually visited the Shaw studio with John Saxon (photos exist on the net). Bruce participated in a black and white test shoot at Golden Harvest and colour shoot at Shaw Studios in late '72.

Bruce had been offered a standard actors contract by Shaws before he signed with Golden Harvest, Raymond Chow offered him more of a partnership than a standard contract to sweeten the deal

The latter pics at Shaws were when Bruce was stretching his muscle a bit and showing his independnce, that Concord Moon (his company)could work with everyone including Shaws

Bruce began negotiations to make a film with Shaw Bros and actually visited the Shaw studio with John Saxon (photos exist on the net). Bruce participated in a black and white test shoot at Golden Harvest and colour shoot at Shaw Studios in late '72.

Both color and B&W photos were taken at both studios... The GH shoot was done around the time Lee had finished FOF, and taken in the back lot that featured the brick walled alley from the film. The Shaw shoot was done later in '73 after Lee had lost a great deal of weight and it shows.

Both color and B&W photos were taken at both studios... The GH shoot was done around the time Lee had finished FOF, and taken in the back lot that featured the brick walled alley from the film. The Shaw shoot was done later in '73 after Lee had lost a great deal of weight and it shows.

What's your source for this information? I'm just interested because I'm a big Lee fan myself.

What's your source for this information? I'm just interested because I'm a big Lee fan myself.

On the Bruce doc Death By Misadventure (Video Asia), in a special feature they show stills of Lee at GH studios prepping for a photo shoot. The other, later shots at Shaws can be seen with a remarkably thinner Bruce and the traditional Shaw Ching wardrobe, and simple plaster-walled backgrounds.

BTW, I've followed so long, sometimes I forget the sources, however, I'm pretty certain, and if need be I can dig through my materials...

On the Bruce doc Death By Misadventure (Video Asia), in a special feature they show stills of Lee at GH studios prepping for a photo shoot. The other, later shots at Shaws can be seen with a remarkably thinner Bruce and the traditional Shaw Ching wardrobe, and simple plaster-walled backgrounds.

BTW, I've followed so long, sometimes I forget the sources, however, I'm pretty certain, and if need be I can dig through my materials...

I own all of the documentaries and first saw the stills in Bruce Lee - The Legend back in the 80s. I just wondered where you got the specific dates from. David Tadman stated in a Q&A that the colour shots were taken at Shaw Bros.

... David Tadman stated in a Q&A that the colour shots were taken at Shaw Bros.

Not all of them. In fact, the shots of Lee in the fur vest and with the traditional weapons in color & b/w in the dark alley from FOF, were all GH shots. They released these shots after he died. The Shaw shots didn't reall appear internationally until several years later.

Below: The first two shots GH photo shoot. The second two, Shaws.

post-74-14419188876_thumb.jpg

post-74-144191888763_thumb.jpg

post-74-144191888765_thumb.jpg

post-74-144191888767_thumb.jpg

Archived