The Vampire Diaries:

daisho2004

OK I don't know how many of you have seen this series but it is Off The Hook! I love a good Vamp series and this hasn't let me down yet. I'm half way through season #1 and it just gets better & better. I love HBO's True Blood and this show is right next to it.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Like HBO's True Blood, the CW's Vampire Diaries proves there's always room for more good-looking bloodsuckers. Cocreated by Kevin Williamson (Dawson's Creek) and based on the young adult series by L.J. Smith, the show revolves around Elena (Nina Dobrev), an orphan who lives with her aunt Jenna (Sara Canning) and her underachieving brother, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen), who has a thing for bad girl Vicki (Kayla Ewell). As the school year begins, Elena meets Stefan (Paul Wesley of the smoldering stare) and sparks fly. With the aid of a special ring, he can go out during the day, thus keeping his true nature a secret. After he returns to Mystic Falls, his ancestral home, Vicki gets bit, and Elena's best friend, Bonnie (Katerina Graham), has strange premonitions (Jasmine Guy plays her grandmother).

Upon uncovering Stefan's secret, Elena learns that he and his brother, Damon (Lost's Ian Somerhalder), once loved a woman who looks just like her (their Civil War past plays out through flashbacks), while Elena used to date Vicki's brother, Matt (Zach Roerig), a football player with a flaky mother (The O.C.'s Melinda Clarke). As more citizens turn up dead, the town council sets out to stop the culprits with help from Elena's uncle John (Alias's David Anders) and his ex, Isobel (The L Word's Mia Kirshner).

It's easy to take a cynical attitude toward a supernatural soap like The Vampire Diaries, but it gets more things right than wrong. There's moping, goopy ballads, and mumbo jumbo about crystals, but the story lines are compelling and the writers are smart enough to anticipate the Twilight comparisons. When his girlfriend Caroline (Candice Accola) asks why he doesn't sparkle, Damon quips, "Because I live in the real world." Extras include deleted scenes, featurettes, and commentary on the pilot. --Kathleen C. Fennessy

Product Description:

It's Elena's first day back at Mystic Falls High School since the tragic death of her parents. Along with her Aunt Jenna, Elena tries her best to look after her troubled younger brother, Jeremy, and salvage what family they have left. The first day is already shaping up to be a struggle for Elena until she meets the mysterious new kid at school, Stefan. Elena is touched that he can relate to what she's going through. What Elena doesn't know is that Stefan is a vampire, constantly resisting the urge to taste her blood. As their undeniable connection grows deeper, Stefan's dangerous older brother, Damon, shows up to wreak havoc on the town of Mystic Falls - and claim Elena for himself. The Vampire Diaries is based on the bestselling book series from Alloy Entertainment.

91p%2Br7vIdrL._AA1500_.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen it, as to me it looked like they threw Supernatural together with some Twilight and came up with this. But that was just my initial reaction to seeing the advertising for it. Maybe it's actually a good show. I'm just starting to get jaded with all these vampire series and movies now all being set in the modern era. Why not do a good gothic vampire story?

Noelle Shadow Kick

At first the show might seem like a Twilight rip off, but it's genuinely good television. Twilight is bad writing, ridiculous characters, and bad acting. Vampire Diaries is nothing like this. Just give it a few episodes and you'll be hooked. You don't have to take my word for it though, here's an AV Club article describing 10 reasons you should be watching Vampire Diaries:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ten-reasons-you-should-be-watching-the-vampire-dia,50681/

ShaOW!linDude
Why not do a good gothic vampire story?

Good news for you!

Tim Burton is doing a film version of Dark Shadows. Johnny Depp will play the vampire, Barnabas Collins.

There was a item release yesterday or today (can't remember) that Helena Bonham Carter and Michelle Pfieffer have been added to the cast.

Unsure about the scheduled release date.

Me and the Mrs. watched the first few eps when season 1 kicked off. We just couldn't get into it and we're both lovers of vampire type stuff.

"The Vampire Diaries" is by far the best of all the recent vampire-related productions. I'm a HUGE fan of the 1991 version of "Dark Shadows" starring Ben Cross and Joanna Going and this is quite similiar to it in many ways, which is not surprising since Executive producer Kevin Williamson has admitted that "The Vampire Diaries" was heavily influenced by the original 1960s "Dark Shadows" series. The writing is great and the cast is fantastic, particularly Nina Dobrev, Katerina Graham, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, and Steven R. McQueen (grandson of Steve McQueen). I'm definitely hooked! :tongue:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Johnny Depp "Dark Shadows" movie. Keeping my fingers crossed that Tim Burton won't go over-the-top with it and stay true to Dan Curtis' creation.

Me and the Mrs. watched the first few eps when season 1 kicked off. We just couldn't get into it and we're both lovers of vampire type stuff.

ShaOW!linDude: Dude you got to watch this series it is really excellent! Trust me it gets better & better! And I'll be looking out for Tim Burton's Dark Shadows he loves Johnny Depp as well he is in almost all his movies.

I just finsihed watching the entire 1st. season and again this show was Off The Hook! I'm like a Junky on a binge now! I cannot wait for season #2 to come on DVD!

I've never seen it, as to me it looked like they threw Supernatural together with some Twilight and came up with this. But that was just my initial reaction to seeing the advertising for it. Maybe it's actually a good show. I'm just starting to get jaded with all these vampire series and movies now all being set in the modern era. Why not do a good gothic vampire story?

you're absolutely right there with your description of the Vampire diaries, off the hook it is not.

I've seen up to roughly the middle of series 2 and all I can say is it's a passable way to spend an hour but it's certainly nowhere near as good as Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, nor Trueblood.

Vampire Diaries doesn't have great writers, nor great stories and offers nothing you haven't seen before and better. The action is pretty terrible when it is shown that is compared to similar TV shows. The worst thing for me is this is most of the vampires can walk in daylight because they have magical rings, giant clunky great medieval looking things.

The series is mostly teen angst related and just seems to follow so many town and school events. The characters are mostly bland with the exception of Damon.

The only thing the show has going for it is some beautiful actresses.

Anyone looking for another decent Vampire series I would recommend the British TV show Ultraviolet from the late 1990s.

ShaOW!linDude
Anyone looking for another decent Vampire series I would recommend the British TV show Ultraviolet from the late 1990s.

Is that like the movie with Milla Jovovi.....Javacoffee......Jiveturkey....Oh, you know who I'm talking about.

I liked that movie.

Is that like the movie with Milla Jovovi.....Javacoffee......Jiveturkey....Oh, you know who I'm talking about.

I liked that movie.

Nothing like the Milla what's her name from Resident Evil film of the same name.

Daisho, have you seen Buffy?

blue_skies: No I never seen the Buffy TV series, I seen the Movie though.

In that case you really need to see the series. The movie is nothing like the series! I don't want to over-hype it but Buffy really is fantastic TV. Obviously it has its flaws and has a few iffy moments during season one and two but the show has some terrific characters, some great drama, it's funny, has excellent action for TV, and it is filled with its creators, Joss Whedon, trademark sharp and witty dialogue.

You also really need to see Firefly !

Noelle Shadow Kick

There's no such thing as over-hyping Buffy. The first season might be a little dated but other than that it's a phenomenal television show. They don't make tv like that anymore.

Archived