New to Japanese Cult cinemaAny recommendations to get me started?

Richie Freebird

Richie Freebird

Hello, I’m new to the genre and also new to this forum. I’ve been a fan of Kung Fu movies for a while and am interested in branching into some of the classic Japanese Samurai movies. Can anyone recommend a couple of the best titles to get me started on the genre? Thanks very much for your help.

Richie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richie Freebird: This is a question we get a lot, but if I were you I'd start with the best of the best in Japanese cinema, that would be Lone Wolf & Cub: the 6 part movie series: But don't get the English dubbed verision, see it with the Japanese language track with English subtitles, then you can watch Shogun Assassin this is a combined movie of the 1st. (2) in Lone Wolf & Cub series but its English Dubbed. This was to many people on here there 1st. Samurai movie they have ever seen. When you get done with them, just review some of the older post on here and you'll see a lot of great reviews on Japanese cinema about Samurai/Ninja movies.

Here's a short list of awesome Japanese period action films that I've enjoyed:

Seven Samurai (number one priority!)

Yojimbo

Throne of Blood

Zatoichi (the 2003 film with Takeshi Kitano is really accessible and fun)

G.I. Samurai (this also has some sci-fi elements because modern day troops get sent back to the warring states period, but it's a lot of fun and Sonny Chiba's performance is great)

Lone Wolf and Cub

The Twilight Samurai

If you don't mind crossing over to anime as well, I highly recommend Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the TV series), Basilisk, Shigurui, Samurai Champloo and Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal.

Guest WuxiaFan

Richie Freebird - welcome in! :smile:

Richie Freebird: This is a question we get a lot, but if I were you I'd start with the best of the best in Japanese cinema, that would be Lone Wolf & Cub: the 6 part movie series: But don't get the English dubbed verision, see it with the Japanese language track with English subtitles, then you can watch Shogun Assassin this is a combined movie of the 1st. (2) in Lone Wolf & Cub series but its English Dubbed. This was to many people on here there 1st. Samurai movie they have ever seen.

Daisho is talking about the 6-disc box set US version released by AnimEigo. This is pretty heavy duty samurai here, so suggest reading the linear notes about the time period and the Tokugawa Shogunate so you're not completely lost about what's going on, other than the basic storyline. There's a lot that happens in the LWC series that unfamiliar viewers won't get. But with all that said, the LWC series ranks near the top of all samurai movies ever made (IMHO).

Another phenominal series is the Zatoichi series. This series follows the legendary blind swordsman, Zato Ichi, who is lone hero that rights wrongs from town to town on his travels. These are phenonminal movies and can be watched in any order, with the exception of #1 and #2, which should be watched in that order. Beginning with #3, any of them can be watched in any order, but I've always enjoyed watching them in order. :nerd: Anyway, the star of the Zatoichi movies is Shintaro Katsu, who is the brother of Tomisaburo Wakayama who plays Ogami Itto, the main character in LWC:

ZATOICHI 1: THE TALE OF ZATOICHI

ZATOICHI 2: THE TALE OF ZATOICHI CONTINUES

ZATOICHI 3: NEW TALE OF ZATOICHI

ZATOICHI 4: THE FUGITIVE

ZATOICHI 5: ON THE ROAD

ZATOICHI 6: ZATOICHI AND THE CHEST OF GOLD

ZATOICHI 7: ZATOICHI'S FLASHING SWORD

ZATOICHI 8: FIGHT, ZATOICHI, FIGHT!

ZATOICHI 9: ADVENTURES OF ZATOICHI

ZATOICHI 10: ZATOICHI'S REVENGE

ZATOICHI 11: ZATOICHI AND THE DOOMED MAN

ZATOICHI 12: ZATOICHI AND THE CHESS EXPERT

ZATOICHI 13: ZATOICHI'S VENGEANCE

ZATOICHI 14: ZATOICHI'S PILGRIMAGE

ZATOICHI 15: ZATOICHI'S CANE SWORD

ZATOICHI 16: THE OUTLAW

ZATOICHI 17: ZATOICHI CHALLENGED

ZATOICHI 18: ZATOICHI AND THE FUGITIVES

ZATOICHI 19: SAMARITAN ZATOICHI

ZATOICHI 20: ZATOICHI MEETS YOJIMBO

ZATOICHI 21: THE FESTIVAL OF FIRE

ZATOICHI 22: ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

ZATOICHI 23: ZATOICHI AT LARGE

ZATOICHI 24: ZATOICHI IN DESPERATION

ZATOICHI 25: ZATOICHI'S CONSPIRACY

ZATOICHI 26: DARKNESS IS HIS ALLY

The only thing I would caution regarding the Lone Wolf and Cub movies is that they're kind of on the extreme spectrum of graphic violence within the genre----if that's your thing, you'll probably enjoy the movies because they are very good, but if it's not, it might turn you off from the genre.

Along with those, I'd recommend the big Kurosawa pics, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro----and then the Zatoichis, as WuxiaFan listed.

Japanese cinema is my big thing, and if your gonna start somewhere start at the top of the food chain!

There are so many great classic Samurai/Ninja movies its really hard to say what you'll like. The Zatoichi series is another awesome one as is the Sleepy Eyes of Death series not as full out hard core like Lone Wolf & Cub but a great series never the less. There are hundreds of movies that never have seen a legit release that are awesome as well, start out with those and let us know what you think and then we'll tell you what else we think you might like.

I`ve not seen any zatoichi movies but certainly interested of ZATOICHI 22: ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

I did read as kid from mag Asian trash cinema about that that there is 2 edits of movie

Flashlegstan2009

Recommendations :

Street Fighter Series (Sonny Chiba)

When the Last Sword is Drawn & Twilight Samurai

Roningai

Trail of Blood Series

Crimson Bat Series

Black Belt

Zatoichi (Takeshi Kitano) Zatoichi : The Last & Ichi (Female Zatoichi)

Sister Street Fighter Series

Red Peony Gambler Series

Wicked Priest Series

Battles Without Honor & Humanity Collection (Yakuza Papers)

Azumi 1 & 2

Gonin

Violent Cop , Sonantine & Boiling Point

Blood & Bones

Outrage

Evil Dead Trap 1 & 2

All Night Long Trilogy

Black Angel 1 & 2

Dead or Alive

Graveyard of Honor

Tokyo Gore Police

Machine Girl

Samurai Princess

Battle Royal 1 & 2

That should help you out a little, these are my personal preferences though these may vary from person to person

Richie Freebird

Gentlemen thank you for the welcomes and the recommendations. These are all very helpful and informative posts, thank you for your time.

KyFi, I won’t at all have a problem with the strong violence exhibited in these pictures, the violence is part of the aspect that inspired me to branch into Japanese cinema from the standard 70’s Kung Fu stuff I was watching.

I ordered Seven Samurai the other night after looking at a couple of trailers on youtube. I’ll certainly be picking up a few that have been recommended to me here also.

I suppose a follow up question to my original would be recommendations for websites that sell a decent selection of these films. I’d been using Amazon for almost all of my other Asian movie resources, but found precious little in the way of this style. Thanks again guys!

I suppose a follow up question to my original would be recommendations for websites that sell a decent selection of these films.

Richie Freebird: This is a subject were we have had many debates both bad & good!

For most movies that have a legit release you can use Amazon.com or do a price search for certain movies that you are looking for that do have a legit release. I always get great deals from DeepDiscount.com there prices are usually the best.

As far as fansubbers (just in case you don't know what these Guys are, they are Guys who get the best resources & materials ex: remastered prints and subtitle there own stuff for movies that will never get a legit release.) There are other guys who are known as scabbs who steal these Guys works and pass them off as there own and sell them cheaper. Now I know that might sound good paying cheaper prices but if these Guys ever stop selling there movies we would lose out on a lot of great movies that will never see a legit release.

Here is (3) sites that are great fansubbers and I buy from them all the time:

The 1st. Guy is Merlin over @ http://www.samuraidvd.com/servlet/StoreFront

join his mailing list and you'll get discounts on all his movies, and just email him and tell him you were recommended by Marc from KFF.

The 2nd. Guy is Cory aka CK over @ http://www.kurotokagi.com/

The 3rd. Guy is John over @ http://www.fareastflix.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

These are the best sites to get great movies that are hard to find, that are rare and mostly likey never see a legit release.

I`ve not seen any zatoichi movies but certainly interested of ZATOICHI 22: ZATOICHI MEETS THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

I did read as kid from mag Asian trash cinema about that that there is 2 edits of movie

Shawoholic: I cannot believe that you have never seen a Zatoichi movie, you have got to watch them they are Great! As far as Zatoichi #22 there is I believe (2) versions of this films but I never have seen the one you'll talking about, that is the Chinese version of how it ends I don't want to ruin it for you, until you watch it then we can discuss it on here! But as far as I know its not available from anyone even the Fansubbers don't have it.

Richie Freebird

Thanks again for the excellent help and advice Dashio my friend.

Edit - Just ordered the first in the Zatoichi series as well as the Street Fighter trillogy. When the post comes in I'll have those and Seven Samurai to whet my appitite for the genre.

I looked for Sleepy Eyes of Death but could only find a US region one for around £50 on the UK Amazon. I'll maybe come back to that one after watching a few others!

No problem Richie and welcome to this site, you're really going to find a lot of knowlegde about movies that are in a class all by themselves here. Its just a shame that the Japanese cinema Directors don't make movies like the ones from back in the day! There are so many great classic Samurai/Ninja movies that People outside of Japan have really never seen. Hollywoods take on Samurai/ Ninja movies aren't bad but they do lack the majestic power that the classic Directors of Japan had. Don't get me wrong there have been some really good to excellent Ninja movies made recently that have had a legit release ex: Azumi great movie there was also a sequel made not as good as the 1st. movie but still worth adding to your collection! While I did enjoy Ninja Assassin I hated Ninja this movie had almost nothing to do with Ninjas! WTF!

Again feel free to ask for any info on movies that you might have heard about I'm sure someone on here has seen it...

Richie Freebird

Watched the 7 Samurai movie the other night on the recommendation of Hamsworth, and really thoroughly enjoyed it. It was exactly what I expected it to be and every bit as awesome.

I’ve now ordered

Sanjuro [1962]

Hidden Fortress [1958]

Throne Of Blood [1957]

Yojimbo [1961] [DVD]

Hoping for similar styles to the brilliant 7 Samurai with these titles.

I’m also working my way through the Street Fighter series. Thanks again for the recommendations chaps. I’m also waiting for Zatoichi: Tale of Zatoichi - Episode 1 to arrive, but I think I’ll have trouble playing it due to NTSC / PAL issues with my hardware.

masterofoneinchpunch
Watched the 7 Samurai movie the other night on the recommendation of Hamsworth, and really thoroughly enjoyed it. It was exactly what I expected it to be and every bit as awesome.

I’ve now ordered

Sanjuro [1962]

Hidden Fortress [1958]

Throne Of Blood [1957]

Yojimbo [1961] [DVD]

Hoping for similar styles to the brilliant 7 Samurai with these titles.

Well they are all Kurosawa, but their style is a bit different per film. Watch Yojimbo before Sanjuro. Both Yojimbo and Sanjuro are American western influenced like Seven Samurai but they focus more on a Ronin (Toshio Mifune) instead of the group effort seen in The Seven Samurai. Yojimbo was remade as the western Fistful of Dollars and is one of my favorite films (regardless of country). On a side note you might like the American remake of The Seven Samurai: The Magnificent Seven.

Hidden Fortress was a big influence on George Lucas (he has a small interview on the Criterion release of the DVD) and you can see some of the film plot and characters in Star Wars.

Throne of Blood is more Shakespearean as it is adapted from Macbeth. But still an excellent movie.

But there are a lot of good recommendations throughout this thread so I won't add anything. But if you get interested in Kurosawa's non-Samurai films I could easily recommend some.

Richie Freebird

I’m absolutely loving the Kurosawa movies guys, thanks for the recommendations. I’ve just ordered another 10 of his films!

Sanshiro Sugata (a.k.a. Judo Saga)1943

Sanshiro Sugata Part II (a.k.a. Judo Saga 2)1945

Drunken Angel1948

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail1945

Rashomon1950

The Quiet Duel1949

I Live in Fear1955

Throne of Blood 1957

The Bad Sleep Well1960

Madadayo 1993

Are there any similar directors or similar movies from this time period and style that I should know about?

masterofoneinchpunch
I’m absolutely loving the Kurosawa movies guys, thanks for the recommendations. I’ve just ordered another 10 of his films!

Sanshiro Sugata (a.k.a. Judo Saga)1943

Sanshiro Sugata Part II (a.k.a. Judo Saga 2)1945

Drunken Angel1948

The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail1945

Rashomon1950

The Quiet Duel1949

I Live in Fear1955

Throne of Blood 1957

The Bad Sleep Well1960

Madadayo 1993

Are there any similar directors or similar movies from this time period and style that I should know about?

You might be dissapointed with the two Sanshiro films (well probably the second one). If you are interested I have overly long reviews (1000+ words each) of those films in the Reviews section below.

Kurosawa is one of my favorite directors and I've seen 29 out of the 31 films he has done (one was codirected and it is hard to find so sometimes you will see him mentioned as directing 30).

Some of those films (while still being quite good) like Madadayo, The Quiet Duel, Drunken Angel and The Bad Sleep Well are not chambara or jidai geki films, but they are worth watching and I hope you like them.

While I'm a huge Yasujirō Ozu fan, I think I will push Kenji Mizoguchi as a director you should pursue later with such films as Ugetsu and Sansho the Bailiff. Both excellent period (jidai geki) pieces

Hey Richie don't limit yourself to just one Director, I do love Kurosawa's films also but there are other Directors who are excellent as well, one of my favorites is Kenji Misumi. He has done some of the Lone Wolf & Cub movies as well as The Sleepy Eyes of Death series also.

Richie, you seem to have missed two of my favorite Kurosawa films: Ran, and High & Low. I saw High & Low for the first time quite recently, and ended up watching it twice within three days. One of the best crime films ever made.

One seminal director whose works have not been made easily available for English speaking audiences is Hideo Gosha. US companies have been picking up his least good films for some reason, with one exception: Goyokin. That's a wonderful late 60's samurai film.

Three Outlaw Samurai is another great one. Chang Cheh actually remade this one as a more polished and inferior movie The Magnificent Trio. But Gosha's films is not only technically superior, it's far more nihilistic (Chang made his characters more heroic, while Gosha's samurai are losers, anti-heroes and crooks). I think there's an English subbed Italian dvd by Raro Video, and it should be 2.35:1 too, despite some sources claiming otherwise.

Hitokiri is a legendary nihilist samurai film by Gosha, starring Shintaro Katsu himself. Cult poet / actor / political figure Yuki Mishima co-stars. I've got the French 2 Disc release, without eng subs. Sadly English speaking territories have not licensed this film (may be due to legal issues. France's Wild Side also had to go through hell to be able to release it).

Still, by favorite Gosha movies are Cash Calls Hell (brilliant B&W crime noir) and Violent Streets (mid 70's yakuza film that would be best described as Peckinpah meets Atgento meets Fukasaku). Again, I've got these on French dvd. Why US and UK companies have not bothered, I don't know.

masterofoneinchpunch

I'll second both Ran and High and Low as excellent Kurosawas to watch. Ran is influenced by King Lear, was the first Kurosawa film I saw in the 1980s and still remains one of my favorite films of the decade. You can see it's influence in many later films. It is often considered one of his bleakest films (given the source material you know what will happen :D), but a great sublime movie. Both films have excellent Criterion (R1/NTSC) releases.

High and Low is definitely one of the better crime films made.

I'll second both Ran and High and Low as excellent Kurosawas to watch. Ran is influenced by King Lear, was the first Kurosawa film I saw in the 1980s and still remains one of my favorite films of the decade.

High and Low is definitely one of the better crime films made.

Ran was my first Kurosawa, too! Saw it out in Los Angeles in the 80's (in it's original arthouse run - brand new!), and it blew me away. A sentimental favorite, for that reason.

Ditto on High and Low, as well. Was so happy when it got a new, remastered release from Criterion.

And some say Kurosawa never made a horror film, but I say: see Throne of Blood. Very spooky; a feeling of dread pervades that film like none other I can think of.

Richie Freebird
While I'm a huge Yasujirō Ozu fan, I think I will push Kenji Mizoguchi as a director you should pursue later with such films as Ugetsu and Sansho the Bailiff. Both excellent period (jidai geki) pieces

Thank you for these reccomendations, I’ll pursuit the works of these directors when I’m done watching through the job lot that I’ve put on order already! :)

Hey Richie don't limit yourself to just one Director, I do love Kurosawa's films also but there are other Directors who are excellent as well, one of my favorites is Kenji Misumi. He has done some of the Lone Wolf & Cub movies as well as The Sleepy Eyes of Death series also.

I actually ordered the first 3 Lone Wolf and Cub movies as well as Sleepy Eyes of Death with the rest of the Kurosawa films on your recommendation my friend! I should have a real treat on my hands when this lot arrive some time next week. The only reason I’ve kind of focused on Kurosawa is my unfamiliarity with the scene up to now. I’ve found that I like his work and so am hoping to get some that style under my belt before branching out into hopefully every area of Japanese cinema!

Another question; I don’t know the names of any of the sub genres of Japanese films or what they mean (apart from Samurai obviously). Can anyone give any help with describing these sub genres? Thanks again for the wonderful help and recommendations here gentlemen. I am very grateful indeed.

BlackLamaFaction

Eiichi Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy:

13 Assassins (1963)

The Great Duel (1964)

11 Samurai (1965)

Assassination (Masahiro Shinoda 1964)

Cruel Story of the Shogunate's Downfall (Tai Kato 1964)

Samurai Assassin (Kihachi Okamoto 1965)

The Betrayal (Tokuzo Tanaka 1966)

Seppuku (Masaki Kobayashi 1962)

Kill (Kihachi Okamoto 1967)

Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi 1967)

(Kiru) Destiny's Son (Kenji Misumi 1962)

These are some of my favorites from the early 60's many of these have the same feel of Kurosawa's samurai films namely Yojimbo and Sanjuro, there all pretty intense and in B&W except for Destiny's Son. Anyway you can't go wrong with any of these films in my opinion.

Just so you know today we got a new sticky thread in this section at the top of the page for the Greatest Samurai/Ninja movies and BlackLamaFaction has put together a great resource with over 200 films to start off with.

Archived