Ok, so what is the PROPER name for Bruce Lee's character in Fist of Fury?

Golden Arm Kid

Golden Arm Kid

Because I've seen several spellings/pronunciations of it.

When I first saw the film the credits had Bruce listed as "Chen Jeh"

However the majority of people I've seen have used the name that Jet Li used in Fist of Legend: "Chen Zhen"

Then there's the name that Donnie Yen used when portraying the same character: "Chen Jun".

Which one is actually the correct name for the character? Or the correct name for Bruce's character in Fist of Fury?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi i'm new to this forum, and it's such a pleasure to meet you. Here's a link from wikipedia to give more details on Chen Zhen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Zhen_(martial_artist)

Wikipedia:Chen Zhen is a fictional Chinese martial artist and culture hero created by Hong Kong writer Ni Kuang. The character first appeared in the 1972 martial arts film Fist of Fury, which starred Bruce Lee.

In the film, Chen is depicted as a student of Huo Yuanjia, founder of Chin Woo Athletic Association (a.k.a. Jingwu School). After Huo allegedly died of illness, Chen discovers later that his teacher was poisoned to death and the Japanese are the ones responsible for the murder. Chen seeks to bring the murderers to justice and embarks on his quest to avenge Huo and revive his teacher's legacy, the "Jingwu spirit".

Since 1972, Chen has become the subject of numerous films and television series, including remakes and adaptations of the original film. Many well-known martial arts film actors have played the role of Chen, including Bruce Lee, Jet Li and Donnie Yen. Chen's story varies in the different remakes and adaptations, but almost each story ultimately leads to his final quest to avenge Huo Yuanjia and shares a similar ending to Fist of Fury.

The character of Chen is believed to be based on Liu Zhensheng, a real student of Huo Yuanjia

Guest Markgway

Complicated this... they're all correct.

It depends on which language you're using and which system of romanisation you opt for.

To save extra confusion I'll just say that the Bruce Lee incarnation from Fist of Fury should be referred to in text as 'Chen Chen' (this is how the name would've been translated from Mandarin circa 1972).

It's pronounced in Mandarin (and there's only ONE spoken pronounciation for this language, accents aside) something like 'Chen Choon'

Richie Freebird

I’ve even seen it written as “Chen Chen”, which I think was on a blurb for one of the Donnie Yen TV / Movies “Fist of Fury Sworn Revenge” etc. It did sound a little bit like Chen Chen on the English dubbing of those productions.

emeraldforest

using 'proper' pinyin, the system used in China for writing Chinese Hanzi (characters) in Roman letters

it is spelled CHEN ZHEN , first tone both words, CHEN is surname, ZHEN meaning true/real

Guest Markgway
using 'proper' pinyin, the system used in China for writing Chinese Hanzi (characters) in Roman letters

Golden Arm asked specifically about the Bruce Lee incarnation and that would be 'Chen Chen'.

If made now they would use 'Chen Zhen' or 'Chan Chun' if Cantonese.

Archived