Yakuza Weapon (will kick your ass in 2011)

Takuma

seen the lot of what titles takuma has posted above.

yakuza weapon being my favourite. alien vs ninja comes in 2nd.

helldriver and deadball i found about equally lacking (despite them being totally different from one another). some good moments, all in all pretty mediocre (for what they are).

all that is coming from s/o who`s been watching these sorta flicks ever since the mid/late 90s but never thought of himself as a true fan.

my thoughts on YW here btw: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488&page=134

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Here are my thoughts on YAKUZA WEAPON.

Okay, I was ready for an over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, gory action film. Well, I got that, but was still left pretty disappointed. :squigglemouth:

The basic story is that the enstranged son of a yakuza boss comes back to town after his father is murdered.

SPOILERS AHEAD

First let me say that I loved Tak in VERSUS and thought his laconic cool guy thing was great. But honestly, I haven't seen him in much that has impressed me since. In YAKUZA WEAPON I felt like maybe Tak's ego has inflated to the point that he really thinks he's as cool as these characters he keeps playing. But being cool should come natural (ala Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen). I felt like he was trying way too hard to "be cool" and intead was coming off like an annoying pop star playing tough. Now he may have been playing this character as it was supposed to be played- I believe YW is based on a manga which I haven't read. Regardless, based on the film alone, for me, none of his macho posturing or supposedly badass lines worked. Instead of them being outrageous but cool, they were just corny and unconvincing. The "Let's-satirize-the-Yakuza-film-characters-of-the-past" exaggerated, always yelled dialogue was simply grating. The film couldn't even follow it's own looney logic either. For instance, the lead character steps directly on a landmine at one point, but he doesn't suffer any physical harm when it detonates, instead using the force of the explosion to launch himself hundreds of feet into the air to land in an attack pose through the roof of an enemy's tent. But then later, gattling gun bullets shoot off his arm and leg? :neutral: Huh? Oh yeah, and he also states early on in the film, as he stands idly smoking a cigarette, totally in the open just 15 feet away from a platoon of guys firing at him with machine guns that "You only get hit when you're afraid of getting hit." However... later gattling gun bullets shoot off his arm and leg? He didn't seem "afraid of getting hit" either. He stood (once again in the open, never seeking shelter) on a rooftop staring down a fully armed millitary helicopter while yelling "tough guy" BS and posturing some more. :neutral:

After being dissected by those bullets, our "hero" is given a cyborg make-over with a gattling gun right hand and a rocket launcher kneecap. Yes, I did enjoy seeing him mow down tons of guys with his new deadly appendages. And sometimes it looked awesome. The makeup and special effects in the film, which are abundant, range from fantastic to truly pitiful. I wonder how they could accomplish such ultra realistic severed heads, yet the simple fight injury makeups look like putty and marker applied by grade school kids? I know it's low budget, but this stuff is ridiculously bad. The digital FX are the same way. Some of the stuff is realistic and powerful, while other stuff looks super phony, like video game cut-scene animation from 15 years ago. These kinds of quality control problems are really a shame.

As for the action, personally this was where I was most disappointed. Tak has a whole bunch of fight scenes that are both hand-to-hand and with a katana. I thought that his action performance was completely lacking in any charisma and that the punches and kicks telegraphed zero impact/power! :ooh: He just looked so weak, and therefore his fights were sadly quite lame. One "technique" that he repeats throughout the film is where he throws a series of short, "fast" left, right body shots at his opponents. This looks terrible. At best it seems like as fighting technique it was be mildly irritating to an opponent. Surprisingly, there are several really long takes during some of the fights where Tak and the stunteam display impressive memory and co-ordination skills as they perform move after move without any edits. However, unlike the similar scene in Tony Jaa's TOM YUM GOONG, Tak lacks any power in his moves. So instead of an intense scene of Jaa wrecking people like in TYG we get a blah-blah scene of Tak showing us he remembered all of the moves. So, like a lot of things about the film, it's doing something that should be great but still misses the mark.

There were still enough amusing things in the film to keep my attention. The bit with the iron-clawed assassin nurses and our into to Tak's new weapons is a sweet scene. And I especially enjoyed when one character uses a naked cyborg woman (his own sister!) as sort of a sexy Swiss Army knife type weapon, swinging her wildly around his body while firing a gattling gun from her neck hole and a rocket launcher from her... er, lady bits. :xd:

Overall I'd say it's worth a watch but not a purchase. I give it 5.5 out of 10

Here we go: Sushi Typhoon – Part 9: Yakuza Weapon

http://sketchesofcinema.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/sushi-typhoon-part-9-yakuza-weapon/

Since it's a bit long, I'll just point out my disagreeance (is that a word?) with Bob... the mine scene was one of the few moments where the humoristic approach to badassness really worked. The scene with the nurses, on the other hand, was probably my least favorite in the film...

As I expected, I can't get along with anyone today either :cool:

• Administrator

This is the first time I've visited your blog, and I really enjoyed reading your review. Were you serious- Tak broke his neck during that long, unedited take? :ooh: Gotta watch that scene again just to let that sink in! :smile:

Since it's a bit long, I'll just point out my disagreeance (is that a word?) with Bob... the mine scene was one of the few moments where the humoristic approach to badassness really worked. The scene with the nurses, on the other hand, was probably my least favorite in the film...

As far as I know disagreeance is not a "real" word, but hey- it worked. I knew what you were saying. :wink:

I just wish one of Tak's lackeys had slipped a steel door or something between the mine and his feet. Then him catapaulting off of the explosion wouldn't have seemed entirely ridiculous. But... after this scene I thought "Oh, okay. They've established that he's pretty much invincible". But then... :squigglemouth: no.

As for the nurses scene, it was still flawed with CGI garbage, but I got a kick out of it. I even showed it to my wife who laughed and shook her head somewhat bewildered. :tongue: I do understand why you'd feel this scene was one of the worst though.

I'm really curious- didn't you feel that Tak's strikes all lacked power? I mean, when I watch a Chiba-san film and he punches someone, I swear I can almost feel it. His strikes make a viewer shudder. Tak looked to me like the young lady from AZUMI- strong like a paper doll!

Nah, we're getting along fine. Having a "disagreeance " about a film can be interesting if niether party takes it personally or starts crying. :angel: I respect your opinion, and I'd venture to guess that One-Armed Boxer does as well. :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude

People! People! Oh! The lack of edjamacation on this forum!

The proper word is disagrievance!

No, that's not right.

It's disagreemish.

Wait, that's not it either.

Disagreement!

There you go!

Had to look it up in my Funky Wagtails dictionary. (I mean Funk and Wagnall's, dadgummit.)

• Administrator
People! People! Oh! The lack of edjamacation on this forum!

The proper word is disagrievance!

No, that's not right.

It's disagreemish.

Wait, that's not it either.

Disagreement!

There you go!

Had to look it up in my Funky Wagtails dictionary. (I mean Funk and Wagnall's, dadgummit.)

:xd:

Takuma- I loved the "Bear story". Forgot to thank you for posting that clip. :bigsmile:

This is the first time I've visited your blog, and I really enjoyed reading your review.

Thanks. I write in both Finnish and English, so some of them are translations... but that goes both ways, depening on which one I happened to write first. The original is always better, regardless of language, but with the Finnish versions at least someone is proof reading them for me. In my blog my spelling/typing is much like the CGI in Sushi Typhoon films... dodgy to say at least :tongue:

Were you serious- Tak broke his neck during that long, unedited take? :ooh: Gotta watch that scene again just to let that sink in! :smile:

Yep, I stole that piece of info from some interview...

I'm really curious- didn't you feel that Tak's strikes all lacked power? I mean, when I watch a Chiba-san film and he punches someone, I swear I can almost feel it. His strikes make a viewer shudder. Tak looked to me like the young lady from AZUMI- strong like a paper doll!

It's true, his puches don't look that powerful, but that may also be partly because in JP film industry you can't beat people to hospital like they do in HK and Thailand. Tak's stunt team, Team Zeros, are pround of the fact that none of them have ever been injured.

Tak, however, is very much the real deal. Before being spotted by Kitamura and brought to film industry, he used to be a street fighter... and reportedly one very much out of control and dangerous (one story, whether it's true or not I don't know, says he used to carry some acid with him so he cold throw it on his opponents...)

Oh, and no bad words about Aya-chan! She was my childhood love, and I may still turn a stalker if I end to close enough to her :tongue:

Nah, we're getting along fine.

Heh, I just felt the need use an Oldboy quote... :tongue:

Takuma- I loved the "Bear story". Forgot to thank you for posting that clip.

I've never met Taku in person, but he always tells crazy stories and sets up demonstration fights at his film premieres... actually, all of the Sushi folks are like that. Seen Nishimura, Asami, and Cay live, and met Iguchi in person in Frankfurt. Awesome people - occasionally more awesome than their films...

One Armed Boxer
Surprisingly, there are several really long takes during some of the fights where Tak and the stunteam display impressive memory and co-ordination skills as they perform move after move without any edits. However, unlike the similar scene in Tony Jaa's TOM YUM GOONG, Tak lacks any power in his moves. So instead of an intense scene of Jaa wrecking people like in TYG we get a blah-blah scene of Tak showing us he remembered all of the moves.

Hey Bob, it's been a while, seems like we've both been on a leave of absence from the site in recent months! Hope everything is well with you. Sorry you didn't enjoy 'Yakuza Weapon' so much, it seems like me & jmungus are the only ones in agreement! I thought I should mention in regard to your comments though making a comparison to 'Tom Yum Goong'. Although technically Japan, being a first world country, should be capable of making a better action scene in terms of budget and time put in than a developing country like Thailand...due to the complete lack of interest in action film making on Japanese shores, this isn't the case. In fact the scene in 'Yakuza Weapon' was created in just 1 hour, which is a relative miracle when compared to the months that it took to create and film the scene in 'Tom Yum Goong', based on that timeframe I appreciate 'Yakuza Weapon' for what it is, a cheap done on the fly to hell with it 90 minutes of fun.

Seems like me and Boxer just can’t get into an agreement on Korean films and Sushi films...

I respect your opinion, and I'd venture to guess that One-Armed Boxer does as well.

Ventured guesses can be dangerous things my friend...me, respect Takuma's opinion? Well, actually....yeah of course I do, always a pleasure to be involved in a conversation with you guys, weather we agree or disagree, that's where half the fun comes from!

one story, whether it's true or not I don't know, says he used to carry some acid with him so he cold throw it on his opponents.

I heard this story on more than one occasion as well, seems like he was pretty off the rails in his earlier days! It's been a while since the industry has had an actor with such an interesting back story, Jimmy Wang Yu rates up there as well as someone who deserves a book written about them, or written by themself!

I've never met Taku in person

I have! Sorry...the opportunities to tell people who actually know who he is come along roughly once in a blue moon, even in his native Japan! Iguchi came on stage after 'Karate Robot Zaborgar', and he was indeed ten times more entertaining than the 2 hours of celluloid trash that preceded him.:tongue:

• Administrator
Thanks. I write in both Finnish and English, so some of them are translations... but that goes both ways, depening on which one I happened to write first. The original is always better, regardless of language, but with the Finnish versions at least someone is proof reading them for me. In my blog my spelling/typing is much like the CGI in Sushi Typhoon films... dodgy to say at least :tongue:

Damn... I'm impressed man. Two languages? I don't take the time to write them in one. :angel:

It's true, his puches don't look that powerful, but that may also be partly because in JP film industry you can't beat people to hospital like they do in HK and Thailand. Tak's stunt team, Team Zeros, are pround of the fact that none of them have ever been injured.

Um... unless you consider a broken neck an injury. :smile: Seriously though, I hear what you're saying. But there's a way that two people can "sell" the power of a strike without contact. Countless others have done a better job in the past.

Tak, however, is very much the real deal. Before being spotted by Kitamura and brought to film industry, he used to be a street fighter... and reportedly one very much out of control and dangerous (one story, whether it's true or not I don't know, says he used to carry some acid with him so he cold throw it on his opponents...)

Yeah, I heard he was a badass in real life. A lot of times a real fighter can't sell power shots on film, but they could drop you with one shot in real life. Strangely, a lot of times real contact barely reads on film, and in no way compares with a good, acted "reaction" shot. I have footage of me kicking a guy's tooth out, but on the video it hardly looks like I even made contact! :tongue:

Oh, and no bad words about Aya-chan! She was my childhood love, and I may still turn a stalker if I end to close enough to her :tongue:

I will say she is very pretty! :angel:

Heh, I just felt the need use an Oldboy quote... :tongue:

Oops, I missed it! And I call myself a fan? :ooh: For shame on me! :crossedlips:

I've never met Taku in person, but he always tells crazy stories and sets up demonstration fights at his film premieres... actually, all of the Sushi folks are like that. Seen Nishimura, Asami, and Cay live, and met Iguchi in person in Frankfurt. Awesome people - occasionally more awesome than their films...

That's cool.

Hey Bob, it's been a while, seems like we've both been on a leave of absence from the site in recent months! Hope everything is well with you.

Yo brother! Yeah, I been hella busy. Good to see you here. :bigsmile:

Sorry you didn't enjoy 'Yakuza Weapon' so much, it seems like me & jmungus are the only ones in agreement!

It was way better than WAY OF THE BLACK DRAGON which I recently screened. "The horror..." . Now THAT was a major disappointment! :neutral:

I thought I should mention in regard to your comments though making a comparison to 'Tom Yum Goong'. Although technically Japan, being a first world country, should be capable of making a better action scene in terms of budget and time put in than a developing country like Thailand...due to the complete lack of interest in action film making on Japanese shores, this isn't the case. In fact the scene in 'Yakuza Weapon' was created in just 1 hour, which is a relative miracle when compared to the months that it took to create and film the scene in 'Tom Yum Goong', based on that timeframe I appreciate 'Yakuza Weapon' for what it is, a cheap done on the fly to hell with it 90 minutes of fun.

This info from you guys does make a difference in my opinion, and is very interesting to hear. But, sadly... the film still effects me the same way. I'll try to lower my expectations. But on the other hand, as an example- in the early '80s THE EVIL DEAD- made in just weeks for a buck and a promise- managed to deliver the goods just as well as the big budget AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON. You know why? Imagination and hard work. So I'll try to be more forgiving in light of the filmmaker's limitations. But they need to try a little harder to get this viewer to buy their stuff. :nerd:

I heard this story on more than one occasion as well, seems like he was pretty off the rails in his earlier days! It's been a while since the industry has had an actor with such an interesting back story, Jimmy Wang Yu rates up there as well as someone who deserves a book written about them, or written by themself!

Oh man would I like to read those books!!!! :tongue:

I have! Sorry...the opportunities to tell people who actually know who he is come along roughly once in a blue moon, even in his native Japan! Iguchi came on stage after 'Karate Robot Zaborgar', and he was indeed ten times more entertaining than the 2 hours of celluloid trash that preceded him.:tongue:

Oh yeah dude! Please tell us about these encounters. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd love to hear about all of these stories. Lay it on us OAB! :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude
Tak's stunt team, Team Zeros, are pround of the fact that none of them have ever been injured.

Then they're doing it wrong.:tongue:

One Armed Boxer
Oh yeah dude! Please tell us about these encounters. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'd love to hear about all of these stories. Lay it on us OAB!

Hey Bob, actually the main thing me & Tak spoke about was the upcoming movie Takuma posted about in this thread -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17143

But he does come across as a really cool guy, and very confident of his abilities, but without crossing over into arrogance like Donnie used to do in his earlier days.

I'm looking forward to seeing him onscreen again for sure, hopefully with a little longer than 1 hour to prepare a fight scene this time!

Archived