Bunraku (2011)

AlbertV

Found a compilation of clips from the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival), including a fight scene involving Josh Hartnett (as the Drifter) and Gackt (as Yoshi, the Samurai) against a group of thugs. The film is somewhat described as a "martial arts film noir".

Director: Guy Moshe

Fight Choreographer: Larnell Stovall (Undisputed 3, Dragon Eyes)

Cast: Josh Hartnett, Gackt, Woody Harrelson, Ron Perlman, Demi Moore, Kevin McKidd

Hopefully it will be released this year.

vkjblO6-7sk

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
The film is somewhat described as a "martial arts film noir".

Yeah, me neither, daisho.

But I am intrigued by its description. Let's wait for another trailer.

Twitch posted a 50-second clip of fight scenes involving Gackt as samurai warrior Yoshi...and if any UNDISPUTED 2 & 3 fans can see Mark Ivanir, who played Gaga in those films.

TEY1Do0hWig

Looks pretty good...heard this is getting a September 30 release date but a VOD date of September 1.

it looks like a pretty decent cast lineup except for a martial arts point of view, in which case it looks rather suspect. To me the film kind of looks like a cross between Kill Bill and Sin city and coming across as good as neither based on the trailer. This one's not for me .

A mysterious drifter (Josh Hartnett) and a young Japanese warrior Yoshi (Gackt) both arrive in a town that has been terrorized by outrageous and virulent criminals. Starring: Josh Harnett, Woody Harrelson, Gackt Camui, Kevin McKidd with Ron Perlman and Demi Moore.

Looks like the release date for the R1 DVD is out...

http://www.cityonfire.com/bunraku-dvd-arc-entertainment/

punchingonpaper
Uh.......isn't that backwards? Mondo bizarre.

Actually, this seems to be the new prevailing strategy for foreign and/or indie action flicks these days. Miike's 13 ASSASSINS followed the early VOD release model, and so did indies like SUPER and HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN.

Saw this last night and was VERY pleasantly surprised.

Before seeing it I was told it was a pretentious mess, with the worst stunt casting pretty much of all time for a supposed action film (Josh Harnett, Woody Harrelson &…Demi Moore?!)

Well, I don’t know if some serious editing has gone on since those reviews but what I got instead was a brilliantly realised comic book movie, albeit one hard to describe – think Sin City, mixed with Dick Tracy, plus dashes of martial arts, film noir and the occasional moment of real oddness.

It really should not work, but it does.

Kudos to the director,who apparently delivered this for $25 million – if so, it’s money well spent as for the most part it looks a much more expensive film.

Check it out if you can if you’re the mood for something a little different.

Cool, K.

Our tastes are very similar so this is good to hear. I was hoping this movie wouldn't be a stinker (though it may be at the box office). It seems to have that Sin City/The Spirit feel to it and I personally enjoyed both of those.

Cool, K.

Our tastes are very similar so this is good to hear. I was hoping this movie wouldn't be a stinker (though it may be at the box office). It seems to have that Sin City/The Spirit to it and I personally enjoyed both of those.

Waiting for your review of this film. Probably gonna check it out tonight.

Just saw it and it wasn't bad. It could have been worse, could have been better. The film was a bit too long and dragged in some places but the set pieces and a lot of the action was done pretty well.

Waiting for your review of this film. Probably gonna check it out tonight.

I appreciate it.:bigsmile: May be a while before I'll get to see it. I'm holding out for the dvd which has a November release, I believe.

I just finished watching this and like Karlos I too was VERY pleasantly surprised. Really fun flick. I thought everyone in the cast was good, but I have to give a special shout out to Gackt, who I've seen in a number of things in the past and been rather indifferent to him. Not anymore. The guy's got some legitimate martial arts skills. I was quite impressed with his use of Aikido/Jiu-Jitsu and he's also quite adept with a spear and katana. I also thought that Emily Kaiho (who played his cousin) was completely adorable. Wish she'd had more screen time.

Archived