Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin Best DVd

Ogriv83

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kudos shaowlindude!

The best version of Snake in the Eagles Shadow is the HK all region release, Drunken Master is more difficult because all versions do not have the full Cantonese track (only the French and that does not have English subs). HKL versions are early releases and are cropped to 1-85 and Mandarin or English dubbed only.

The HKL version of Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin is good , but is OOP.

If you can play all region and PAL go for the Australia release, its identical to the UK and is still available..check here on Ebay...

SNAKE AND CRANE HKL DVD

The HKL version of Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin is pretty good, might be a hard find nowadays, but if you can find it, pick it up.

As for the Drunken Master the HKL version is cropped and contains an alternative mandarin dub as Mr. Rees says. I think the Sony/Columbia Tristar is a much better option as its in its original aspect ratio, and have the original cantonese soundtrack, but plays an english dub over the missing parts of the cantonese. Its also visually better than the HKL version. The only bad thing about the Sony, is that its missing the deleted scene which can be found on the HKL extras.

Same thing goes for Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. Sony/Columbia Tristar is completely uncut (HKL is not) and in its original aspect ratio. And it features the old superior music score on both cantonese and english dub, the HKL used an alternative score (still good though) on the english dub.

The Sony DVDs is also a much easier and cheaper find than HKLs.

There are some really helpful websites around like; dvdcompare.net, movie-cencorship.com, imdb, wikipedia. Also you can search this and the Asian DVD Guide forums for old threads regarding the titles you want info on. Im in the middle of doing this for every Jackie Chan movie (almost), because there are so many different releases/versions/cuts of them. I also take my own personal notes in wordpad so that it will be much easier to find this information in the future. I recommend it.

'Drunken Master' - French release if you don't need English subtitles. Columbia, otherwise. Mei Ah does have genuine subtitles, in an otherwise messy release.

'Snake In The Eagle's Shadow' - Columbia, but Mei Ah has genuine subtitles.

'Snake And Crane Arts Of Shaolin' - HKL's DVD has a 5.1 downmix listed as "mono", leaving the Columbia DVD to be the other option (cut, dubtitled).

Archived