Everything you wanted to know but were too afraid to ask

CheMateo

Greetings everyone, I have been a Bruce Lee fan since I was five or six. I always thought I knew a bit about Bruce Lee, at least more than the average film patron. I stumbled upon this forum some time last week and I was immediately humbled and realized what I knew was just very little and superficial.

I also post on IMDb forums but they are not the best source for getting information about classic Martial Arts cinema. At least I have not had much luck.

So, I have been lurking for awhile and I wish I wrote down everything that I wanted to ask. I hope you good folks will not mind sharing your knowledge with a greenhorn.

1. Someone had said that Raymond Chow was essentially a scumbag who they wished they could have roughed up. Why is that? Was that due to GOD II or some other reason?

2. Bruce Lee had his sweat glands removed?

3. Bruce Lee's drug use? Everything I have heard or read concerning Lee was sanitized I suppose. I read some little tidbits about Lee using recreational drugs.

4. Lee having extra-marital affairs. Now as a kid I never thought there was anything "unusual" about Lee being unable to be woken up from a nap at Betty Ting Pei's house. But now I can see why some might be suspicious. Plus, I believe someone else had stated that Linda Lee made sure that Rob Cohen did not cover Lee's drug use or affairs.

5. Lee and Lo Wei. What exactly was the issue between the two? All I had heard was that Lee did not like Lo Wei's racist point of view and balked at working with Lo Wei a third time. On this forum I had read that Lo Wei was connected to the triads and that Bruce Lee pulled a knife on him! Can someone give me more details? What was supposed to be the third film between Lee and Lo Wei? Was it supposed to be The Man Called Tiger? Is that any good?

6. What film was Bruce Lee and George Lazenby supposed to work together on? The first film that Lee & Lazenby were set to do was also to include Sonny Chiba, correct? IMDb has Game of Death listed as the project with which Lee and Lazenby were to unite.

7. Can someone give me details of the studio landscape during this general time frame? I only know of Golden Harvest because of Lee, Sammo Hung, and Jackie Chan. But I keep reading about Shaw Brothers. I take it that at one time it was the studio to work for.

I know I am asking a lot but I have nowhere else to go. I hope you all can help me out and start to fill in all these blanks. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Raymond was /is a scumbag because he was robbing Bruce Lee and some believe he had a hand in his death.

2. this is supposed to be true , but i`ve never looked into it.

3. Bruce was a canabis user since the mid 60`s , he ate it instead of smoking.

also it seems he was using steroids (remember their was no stigma attached to steroid use then , it was a training aid)

4. yes he did have an affair, how many would be pure speculation. put it this way he could have had most of the women in hong kong.

yes linda asked for no references to made to drugs or other women.

5. a big clash of ego`s. lo tried to take credit for bruces success, bruce didn`t agree.

lo wei was a triad member.

man called tiger is the film and it is quite good, bruce would have made it great.

6.George Lazenby says game of death but i don`t know for sure. i don`t listen much to

George Lazenby

7. shaw brothers was the biggest studio and most successful , actually raymond chow worked for shaws before leaving to set up golden harvest.

If you have never heard of Shaw Bros than I'm extremely envious of all the great Kung Fu films you still have to see for the first time.

ShaOW!linDude

Sweat gland removal can be performed for a condition known as hyperhidrosis.

http://www.flymedic.com/treatments/plastic-surgery/sweat-gland-removal-methods

Whether BL actually had this done, I don't know. For someone all about conditioning their body, I wouldn't think he would tamper with its basic functions. Sweating/perspiring is the way a body vents itself. (Some of us vent more than others.....like me. If I were a superhero with a superpower, I'd be known as THE HUMAN SWEAT GLAND and my special move would be known as "the drowning headlock" 'cause I'd get 'em in a headlock and start sweating and they'd......well, you know.)

Of course, if he was chewing cannabis like baseball players do tobacco.......

There, you have it. Great responses, ShaOW!linDude, QueMuchita, makone.

CheMateo, if you're interested in joining The Bruce Lee Central here on this forum, we'd love to welcome you aboard. There's a wealth of articles and material available along with great contributions by KFCF members.

Thank you very much for the responses. I really do appreciate it.

1. Raymond was /is a scumbag because he was robbing Bruce Lee and some believe he had a hand in his death.

The possibility of Chow having a hand in Lee's death seems a bit odd to me. Why would Chow want to kill the man that made him so rich and kept GH alive?

If you have never heard of Shaw Bros than I'm extremely envious of all the great Kung Fu films you still have to see for the first time.
QueMuchita, could you or anyone else for that matter give me some good recommendations on where to start regarding great Kung Fu films from Shaw Brothers.

CheMateo, if you're interested in joining The Bruce Lee Central here on this forum, we'd love to welcome you aboard. There's a wealth of articles and material available along with great contributions by KFCF members.
Thank you Dragon. I would love to join.

• Administrator

Hey Bro, welcome to the forum! :bigsmile:

When I read your questions I immediately thought "This guy would LOVE Bruce Lee Central!"

Makone, The Dragon, and a bunch of other super knowledgeable cats have written a fantastic amount of info on the King of Kung Fu there! It'll be quite a treat for you to read those posts- I assure you.

As for Shaw Brothers... Here's a Kung Fu Bob Shaw Brothers Starter Course for you :nerd::

KING BOXER

36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN

FIVE DEADLY VENOMS

HEROES OF THE EAST

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF KUNG FU

ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

AVENGING EAGLE

EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN

VENGEANCE

You can't go wrong with any of these. And except for the last few on my list, they are all easily available as uncut, letterboxed, remastered, region 1 DVDs through Netflix. Let us know what you think of them! :wink:

OpiumKungFuCracker

You've never heard of Shaw brothers until now??? Have you ever been to a best buy or a video store and walk into a section called, Martial Arts??? Have you heard of Google???

I'm just messin wit ya bro, just click on the shaw's thread in this forum and it will guide you to Kung Fu emporium....

Archived