Horror Recommendations

kurtz

I fancy a break from shaws wuxia/fu and loved Black Magic 2!

so which of the Image "horror" ish titles would you recommend?

Black Magic 1

Seeding of a ghost

corpse mania

and whilst not horror - an alternative.. "Heaven & Hell" ...Have heard its eclectic to say the least...?

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
I fancy a break from shaws wuxia/fu and loved Black Magic 2!

so which of the Image "horror" ish titles would you recommend?

Black Magic 1

Seeding of a ghost

corpse mania

and whilst not horror - an alternative.. "Heaven & Hell" ...Have heard its eclectic to say the least...?

Cheers

If you have seen the Japanese Jigoku (Criterion has a nice release) you get an idea of what you will see in the last part of Heaven and Hell. So part of it is indeed horror.

I didn't really love either Black Magics, still need to see Seeding of a Ghost and Corpse Mania I found was just OK, my favorite so far was The Boxer's Omen. That movie I do recommend :D.

Bewitched and Boxer's Omen are part 1 and part 2 of the same story. Bewitched was probably the best Shaw horror I've seen and Boxer's Omen is pretty much the runner up.

Some might find them kind of slow and boring, but I enjoyed the ghost stories of The Enchanting Shadow and Bride From Hell. I have Lady Jade Locket, but haven't watched it yet, and I've got Return of the Dead on order.

For horror/kung fu, I liked The Shadow Boxing (Spiritual Boxer II) and Fake Ghost Catchers. Also, Finger of Doom has some horror overtones, and that was pretty decent, I thought.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Finger Of Doom's a great flick. Boxer's Omen is very cool too as a horror film. Haunted Tales is probably more along the lines yer lookin for.

Kennedy Il Sung

From those listed I have seen Black Magic and Seeding of Ghost, which were both really good. Of the two though I would pick Seeding of a Ghost.

Thanks for the feedback guys..

As mentioned above I'm also interested in "Heaven & Hell"..

I got "masterofoneinchpunch's" feedback on that and was hoping to get others... Interests me as something very different from the usual...but is that different , "bad different" ?

Thanks again

Heaven and Hell is unique. You can say that much about it. I'm a fan. Would recommend it to you if what you have read around the internet peaks your interest.

Blood Sword

Are there any more Shaw ghost movies like enchanting shadow&enchanting ghost?

Independet recommendations are OK too.I am looking for ghost stories with very little special effects/wireworks=>no stuff like Chinese Ghost Story.

Seeding of a Ghost is pretty top of the line for Shaw horror.

If you haven't seen The Seventh Curse yet, I'd HIGHLY reccomend it. It's Golden Harvest, not Shaw Bros. but it's my personal favorite Hong Kong horror/action film.

Are there any more Shaw ghost movies like enchanting shadow&enchanting ghost?

Independet recommendations are OK too.I am looking for ghost stories with very little special effects/wireworks=>no stuff like Chinese Ghost Story.

I thought Bride from Hell was pretty good---some FX, but not gory and more of a ghost story, as I remember. I also have Lady Jade Locket and Return of the Dead that may be what you're looking for---although I haven't watched either of them yet. Return of the Dead is a horror anthology, and one of the pieces is a reworking of "The Monkey's Paw", as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_OE72d9D8

Blood Sword

Thx KyFi..Well,I picked Lady Jade Locket yesterday, rest I have to order coz my shop does not stock them.I check LJL in few days and return to tell how was it:wink:

If you haven't seen Human Lanterns definitely check it out! Not a ghost story, but its a great movie..I also thought Black Lizard was good. Kind of a ghost story thing going on there. I know its not a Shaw Bros (not even a HK movie) but if youre in the mood for a good horror, my favorite of all time is Mario Bavas Black Sunday. :)

Sorry for get off topic here..Black Sunday is a black & white Gothic masterpiece (very different from Blood & Black Lace) Two other classic Bava horror movies: Bay of Blood akaTwitch of the Death Nerve and Kill Baby Kill.

Blood Sword

If you are not dead serious collector who wants his films as individual releases, mario bava box vol 1&2 are good picks.Many(tho not all:tongue:) his best films are featured in those and price is RIGHT!

I need to check out more of Mario Bavas films, I recently saw Blood & Black Lace and enjoyed it.

Kill Baby Kill just might be the best horror movie I've ever seen. Whip and the Body is a must see also.

I'm sure its a good movie although like I said in a earlier thread, I don't really like horror films with supernatural elements, for whatever reason they just don't interest me. I prefer slashers.

Blood Sword
I'm sure its a good movie although like I said in a earlier thread, I don't really like horror films with supernatural elements, for whatever reason they just don't interest me. I prefer slashers.

Mario Bavas are not slasher and supernatural elements there is few but it lets your imagination run.Bloodfest they are are not but atmospherica lot and they capture feel of suspense/horror...

If that's the case, then definately check out Bava's Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka Bay of Blood). It was an early 70s slasher film that was the direct inspiration for the first Friday the 13th movie (though it's much better, in my opinion).

Blood Sword
If that's the case, then definately check out Bava's Twitch of the Death Nerve (aka Bay of Blood). It was an early 70s slasher film that was the direct inspiration for the first Friday the 13th movie (though it's much better, in my opinion).

Both are classics in their own right...

Archived