Western Stars

Ogriv83

Most of the talk on this forum is regarding the Asian stars (and justly so) but I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on Western martial art star.

Im a big fan of Seagal (guilty pleasure) but wish the Don Wilson had been given better quality films as the guy had incredible skill.

Obviously Chuck is the king of western martial arts but just wanted to hear what you all think.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't think Don Wilson had incredible skills. Maybe as a ring fighter, but certainly not as a screen fighter. At least not judging from his movies.

And im sorry, but I don't think it's obvious that Norris is the king of western martial arts. Though who I would otherwise assign that title to, I could not tell ya'.

Seagal had a string of cool flicks. But it's hard to compare him to others, since practically no one did the japanese Aikido style that he used in his movies. Speakman was another one using japanese style, though that felt different from Seagal. Van Damme had the kicks and flexibility, but not much else. One could always point to guys like Loren Avedon, Cynthia Rothrock and the likes. But since they had either Cory Yuen or Tony Leung Siu Hung to make them look good in their best movies, it's not gonna be a fair comparison to the MA stars, working out of Hollywood.

One guy who's always impressed me is Ron Hall. Only saw him in a couple of flicks, but he had serious legwork, handwork and agility... the full package.

Aside from those mentioned:

I like Gary Daniels and Loren Avedon. They have some nice kicks in their arsenal.

I also like one hit wonders Brandon Gaines (SUPERFIGHTS) and Reese Madigan (AMERICAN SHAOLIN). Erik Betts is really good. He usually plays background stunt roles, but had a great fight scene in SHOOTFIGHTER, showing his athleticism and wushu skills. I also like John Barrett, he was great in AMERICAN KICKBOXER as well as Keith Vitali.

I'll echo what others have said, but I'd like to chip in and mention Brad Allan. That dude has the HK style timing down, plus he's got some pretty sick moves.

Archived