Anyone else feel that Bruce's personal aspects were mirrored in each of his films?

Golden Arm Kid

Golden Arm Kid

In a sense I feel that each of Bruce's films have reflected a little bit of his personal side (not that I'd know but it's kind of a gut feeling)

The Big Boss's Cheng Chao-an depicted a more timid side to Bruce. Of course Bruce's character kind of snapped that and became a virtue fighter by the end of it but that's besides the point lol.

Fist of Fury's Chen Jeh showed a more vengeful, conniving, angry, even a reckless side essentially.

Way of the Dragon's Tang Lung put on display Bruce's child-like innocence and good heart. Almost naive lol.

Enter the Dragon's Mr. Lee (or Lee, whichever you prefer) showed more of a calm, focused, determined, as well as a philosophical side.

Game of Death's Hai Tien was absolutely in my eyes going to be the embodiment of Bruce's confidence and even cockiness as well as having some philosophical elements in there (after all it was going to be Bruce's flagship film about his philosophy). You can tell by his interactions with his opponents and a lot with the way he responds to James Tien's character that Hai Tien was definitely going to be a cocky retired martial arts champ with quick resolve and a trained body/mind. The way he toyed with Dan Inosanto's character in their fight says it all. Hai Tien had Bruce Lee's "swagger". Lol.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fist of the Heavenly Sky

That was pretty much the main shtick Bruce Lee had it going for him as far as acting goes. I guess you could say each one of his movie had varying degrees of auto-biographical portrayals on them, depending on how one perceives it.

At least in my opinion, The Big Boss comes the closest to encompassing Bruce as a character. Cheng Chao-An is painfully reserved and gentle, but also holds a rather dark side to him, and rather libidinous :laugh. Not to mention the obvious mirrored similarity between how the movie begins and Bruce's own departure from Hong Kong to America late in his youth.

Fist of Fury's Chen Zhen, obviously, showcases the brawler side of Bruce Lee at it's fullest, and also the darkest parts of his psyche.

Way of the Dragon's Tang Lung is Bruce at his most easy-going and light hearted. The kind of guy who wishes nothing more to have a golly good time along with his loved ones, but unlike Cheng he's not as a big of a dolt nor he has the mental baggage going for him, and isn't above pulling a few punches to ensure their security without going too overboard.

Enter the Dragon's Lee Jun Keung showcases the strictly professional side of Bruce. One who is always focused on his mission no matter the odds and refrains from being distracted from it, even when presented with the option of engaging in sexual relations with no repercussions. 

On 13/01/2018 at 10:48 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

At least in my opinion, The Big Boss comes the closest to encompassing Bruce as a character. Cheng Chao-An is painfully reserved and gentle, but also holds a rather dark side to him, and rather libidinous :laugh.

From my point of view, he was just like any other young man, his character never strikes me as sex crazed. At least not like some characters are portrayed in old School Kung Fu movies.

On 13/01/2018 at 10:48 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Fist of Fury's Chen Zhen, obviously, showcases the brawler side of Bruce Lee at it's fullest, and also the darkest parts of his psyche.

This was his most crazy character he ever played. Tang Lung and Chen Chao An, are pretty much the same character. Mr Lee is probaly the most complex/interesting, but like Chen Zhen he has no problems in taking peple out.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

From my point of view, he was just like any other young man, his character never strikes me as sex crazed. At least not like some characters are portrayed in old School Kung Fu movies.

This was his most crazy character he ever played. Tang Lung and Chen Chao An, are pretty much the same character. Mr Lee is probaly the most complex/interesting, but like Chen Zhen he has no problems in taking peple out.

Bruce was never sex crazed at any point in his life, but to say he was very fond of the female body would be a severe understatement, and I think there is some merit to the rumors of him having affairs. Either way that description fits Cheng as well.

Tang Lung doesn't really have the same mental baggage as Cheng, nor is he actually trying to run away from a shady, mysterious past. Only thing they have in common is their goofy attitude to things (when not under pressure). Tang Lung is infinitely more assertive and not as self-restrained, and I don't think Cheng would've gone out if his way to train others for self-defense, considering how he was dealing with his own troubles.

One Armed Boxer
14 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Bruce was never sex crazed at any point in his life, but to say he was very fond of the female body would be a severe understatement

The first oxymoron of 2018.:tongueout

Archived