Game of Death (hypothetically completed) vs. Enter the Dragon

Golden Arm Kid

Which film would have been better?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which film would have been better?

• a Bruce Lee completed Game of Death
    • Enter the Dragon

DragonClaws

With the amount of money he charged his celebrity students per hour for JKD lessons. I'm not surprised he enjoyed hanging about with them. He clearly did enjoy their company and he aspired to be like them. I do have a book that says he didn't enjoy appearing at after show parties and those kind of events. The author may have got it wrong?. Choosing to be with some of his well known students outside of lesson time is another matter.

Phantom Dreamer
Still a big budget compared to Eastern MA flicks at that time, so we had nothing to compare it to, but I totally agree, and have thought this myself that it wouldve been a better match up to give Saxon's character O'Hara and let Lee fight Bolo (with appropriate storyline changes). Warner didnt want Bob Wall for O'Hara as they didnt think he fit the character but Bruce insisted. Also I believe that Bruce's plan was to remake WOD for the western audience with Bolo as his adversary. Bruce was never going to release the original in the west but after his death, Raymond Chow of course saw it as a good way to cash in.

What was the point of all the photos of Bruce and Bolo sparring, along with Wu Ngan, at the ETD location when their characters had very little interaction in the actual film?

Killer Meteor
What was the point of all the photos of Bruce and Bolo sparring, along with Wu Ngan, at the ETD location when their characters had very little interaction in the actual film?

I suspect they were sparring/practicing and pictures were taken...

...I guess it is kind of a tease.

Phantom Dreamer
I suspect they were sparring/practicing and pictures were taken...

...I guess it is kind of a tease.

What might have been?

CEG665BVAAAv1uA.jpg

Phantom Dreamer
On 2/11/2011 at 2:12 PM, The Dragon said:

And that's where Lee's genius shined through. The cropping was done on purpose

I thought it was because Gil Hubbs didn't know how to operate the equipment.

Phantom Dreamer

Regarding Game of Death: I am not a fan of the part of Bruce Lee's character, a supposed retired martial arts champ, having a younger brother, I assume over 20 years his junior. He might as well be the kid's dad. I wonder why? Did he not want his actual kids to be jealous?

Phantom Dreamer
1 hour ago, JohnnieFreeze said:

A completed G.O.D may have been his best movie. 

The people will never know

JohnnieFreeze
On 5/3/2015 at 2:35 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

What might have been?

CEG665BVAAAv1uA.jpg

Also what might have been is Bruce talking of doing a remake of Way Of The Dragon for western audiences and having  Bolo as his opponent in the end. Perhaps that would've been his best. Enter The Dragon was suppose to be Bruce's "warm up" movie for the west. He was just getting started. Unfortunately he died and ETD became the end all and be all of Martial Arts cinema, but that wasn't the initial plan. 

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Perhaps the people are ready for a full length, old school, hand drawn, Game of Death cartoon to be produced, to complete the Game of Death, the right way. $$$

784ee7eee9ae6593fd589839cbae3f0f.jpg

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
On 11/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Perhaps the people are ready for a full length, old school, hand drawn, Game of Death cartoon to be produced, to complete the Game of Death, the right way. $$$

784ee7eee9ae6593fd589839cbae3f0f.jpg

If they could fund a project like the Veronica Mars movie, the Game of Death cartoon can indeed become a reality.

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 2/10/2011 at 6:14 PM, sdog2006 said:

I think GOD would have been off the hook to be honest. You need to look at it in terms of the movie having a beginning a middle and an end. The build up to the pagoda sequence and the character development would have made those scenes a better experience.

Exactly. The unfinished result is like watching Eastern Condors with the first half an hour removed.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Exactly. The unfinished result is like watching Eastern Condors with the first half an hour removed.

Agreed, lets say he completed Game of Death, but only partially filmed Enter the Dragon. Imagine having just the cavern sequence, but none of the other scenes. It would have left fans constantly guessing what might have been.

• Like 3

Well if Enter the Dragon were never completed due to Bruce's death I think the whole thing would've been cancelled/ or re-constituted around John Saxon- as a result we never would've had the Kung Fu Craze built around Bruce, to catapult him to worldwide superstardom.

Game of Death would've been a great movie but would've had similar low production values to Way of the Dragon, and likely also the same local sense of humour, and as a result wouldn't have been as translatable overseas I think like WOTD, so with ETD not being made/or re-structured, WOTD and GOD, although still being fanatically popular in Asia, would've been treated as just another Kung Fu film by American film distributors (just like TBB and FOF before them, they couldn't even get those movies names right), although Bruce would still have a cult following in America.

Some on this thread have said Bruce plays second fiddle to John Saxon in ETD, but ETD was the phenomenon that it was BECAUSE of Bruce, therefore without ETD Bruce would not have become the household name that he is today.

I would love to live in a world where ETD was finished and Bruce had shot MOST of Game of Death, so only light work would be needed to complete it/re-shape it for international audiences for its release in 1974.

Maybe if Bruce had shot GOD at the same pace as WOTD, and not spent the best part of 3 months filming 3 fight sequences, I might have gotten my wish.

On a side note, I also think the Bruceploitation craze would've become far more Asia-centric than in this reality because of the lack of International Breakthrough Bruce had with ETD.

• Like 4

Cognoscente

It reminds me of what happened with The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. Fu Sheng's death resulted in Gordon Liu's role being boosted.

Game of Death, funnily enough, reminds me of what Jackie Chan did with Operation Condor. In some of the behind the scenes footage, Jackie was actually speaking English in his interactions with Eva Cobo de Garcia's character. The effect was neutered because the whole movie was going to be dubbed anyway. Also, despite the international feel of the film, Operation Condor missed out on being given a mainstream Western cinema release in the early nineties...which is sad because maybe Golden Harvest wouldn't have complained about the budget not being recouped.

Maybe Warner Brothers would have only given GOD a limited release. Look at how they handled Jackie's The Big Brawl. That movie was entirely recorded in English and had more white people in it, but it only got released in 231 theaters in the US.

I think it's strange that it was only with GOD that Bruce was spending as much time on a fight scene as Jackie does. Bruce was a fairly quick worker. For example, Kareem was told by Bruce that his scenes would be filmed in 10 days.

• Like 4