The Master/Heroes Two

Jd84

I just won a copy of these two movies on ebay for like 8.99 total. I was just wondering how good these movies were. The reviews that I have seen online seems to be mixed.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

I think if you are a Chen Kuan Tai fan you'll enjoy them. Heroes Two is from 74 so it is firmly in the old school but you can see the start of a more sophisticated fighting style emerging and of course it's a Chang Cheh film so it is plenty violent from what I remember.Fu Sheng is pretty good in it as well.

The Master has some great fights, the first one is really nice. Johnny wang is (as always) a great villain . I thought the inclusion of sex scenes was unnecessary- to me it just seemed like they needed some exploitive elements and it didn't really jive with the rest of the film. I have no issue with nudity or whatever in films but this just seemed forced and tasteless.

Thanks for the response. Does anyone know of a site that will display the content of films? I know IMDB has a parental feature but that is only updated by users. Reason being I do not care for the nudity in Kung Fu movies and do not want my nephew seeing it when he watched them with me.

Hi Jd84! I personally don't know of a site that displays movie content of that nature.

I can tell you though, that there is no nudity in any of Fu Sheng's film's. However in Friends (1974), Lily Li's character poses without her shirt for a painting that David Chiang's character is working on. Art can illuminate the beauty of the human form, and with your guidance, your nephew can certainly learn to appreciate that when it is well done.

I have not seen The Master, yet, but Heroes Two is one of the gems of the Shaw Bros. golden age.

For 8.99 that was great pick.Heroes Two is good.Middle of movie is slow a bit but overall package is above average easily and it`s essential viewing if you are into shaws.Great end fight:bigsmile:

The master is decent too.I hated parts of it during 1st view but later when returned enjoyed it more.Some humour is quite corny but CKT gives fine performance and there are very good fight scenes in the end of movie.And before that also.It`s quite obvious this was inspired from success of indie kungfu comedies and while not among best,worth to watch at very least once.

Did you get usa or celestial versions?

For 8.99 that was great pick.Heroes Two is good.Middle of movie is slow a bit but overall package is above average easily and it`s essential viewing if you are into shaws.Great end fight:bigsmile:

The master is decent too.I hated parts of it during 1st view but later when returned enjoyed it more.Some humour is quite corny but CKT gives fine performance and there are very good fight scenes in the end of movie.And before that also.It`s quite obvious this was inspired from success of indie kungfu comedies and while not among best,worth to watch at very least once.

Did you get usa or celestial versions?

It was the Shaw Bros. double feature released by Media Blasters Tokyo Shock.

The Silver Fox

Heroes Two-Okay for nephew.

The Master-Not family viewing. One of the villains has a 'special tongue' and he demonstrates his technique on several prostitutes at a brothel.

Shaolin Patriot

I prefer Heroes Two. Tiger crane boxing, good story. No nudity. The Media Blasters version includes audio commentary.

shaolin swords

i am so happy i read this thread because i was going to buy the master/3 evil masters but im not going to after what i read about it.because i feel that sex in kung fu movies are uncalled for so im not going to buy the movie.

i am so happy i read this thread because i was going to buy the master/3 evil masters but im not going to after what i read about it.because i feel that sex in kung fu movies are uncalled for so im not going to buy the movie.

I agree. I am just glad I didn't spend to much on the set. Hopefully I will like Heroes Two.

Beside from somewhat questionable behavior from the villain, The Master is a great film. Yuen Tak, Chen Kuan Tai, and Wang Lung Wei are all top notch. The end fight is frenzy and satisfying.

The Silver Fox

I don't think anybody is questioning the quality of the film or the fights-I agree they are excellent. Alot of Shaw bros films have nudity and sex mixed in like Secret Service of the imperial Court, Bloody Parrot,Intimate Confession..etc. These are great films and those scenes work to enhance the story.

The Master is more of a master/pupil/values type martial arts film and I think that's why the sex stuff feels kind of jarring.

Archived