shaolin & wu-tang (starring gordon liu & adam cheng)

shaolin swords

shaolin swords

i got 1 vhs and 2 dvd of this movie shaolin and wu tang and all 3 are horrible.the 2 dvd say they are digital remasterd but dont look like it.does any body on here know where i can get i really good version of the movie dubbed in english with a really good quality picture.where is a good website that i can get this movie with a good quality picture thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best one that I know of is actually one that is fan made. The video is sourced from a French dvd (PAL) that is widescreen. English audio sourced from the Xenon release. It also has a Cantonese track that came from a VHS. This guy also added English subs. The video quality isn't very good though. I wouldn't even say that it is much better than the Xenon print, but it is in WIDESCREEN You can try to trade with someone for it... but it is also available on a torrent site.

I remember when got this as hong kong vhs tape as kid I was so impressed from intro I watched it 4-5 times before was able to start actual movie:squigglemouth:

I'd say the aforementioned fansub is your best bet.

10ji2.jpg

Not great quality yet still highly watchable. Send PM for the torrent site it's listed on. :wink:

Best video tape versions were the U.S. and Japanese tapes. There was a legit video released here in the U.S. in the 80s. The film was re-titled "Shaolin Temple II" it was pan and scan but a good clear quality print dubbed in English with no subs. The Japanese pre-record was also legit and had even better picture quality. It was pan and scan and dubbed in Japanese with no sub titles. I still have a good copy I made from an original "Shaolin Temple II" tape on a S-VHS tape that I dubbed using two S-VHS decks and a pro time base corrector. I should have bought the Japanese tape years ago and re-dubbed the English audio. I would love a high quality wide screen copy as it is one of my favorite movies. I even have the rare poster from the film framed here at my place.

The best one that I know of is actually one that is fan made. The video is sourced from a French dvd (PAL) that is widescreen. English audio sourced from the Xenon release. It also has a Cantonese track that came from a VHS. This guy also added English subs. The video quality isn't very good though. I wouldn't even say that it is much better than the Xenon print, but it is in WIDESCREEN You can try to trade with someone for it... but it is also available on a torrent site.

Hello Mr. Brow ;)

I think I have seen you over at 'that site'. (are we not allowed to say the name?).

Thanks for your contributions, and best to you.

Enjoy the Superbowl if you are watching today. I see that it is only a few hundred mile from your area. :nerd:

Hello Mr. Brow ;)

I think I have seen you over at 'that site'. (are we not allowed to say the name?).

It's generally just proper etiquette to keep file-sharing sites to private messages, some torrent sites are exclusive and prefer to lurk in the shadows, but more so to protect said forum you're currently posting on. Not all forums welcome pirating, especially if they depend on sponsorship. :sad:

Hello Mr. Brow ;)

Thanks for your contributions, and best to you.

Enjoy the Superbowl if you are watching today. I see that it is only a few hundred mile from your area. :nerd:

Hey Bro,

Thanks, I so wish I had more to contribute, or the skills to do a fansub/dub (still working on that). Yea, its a bit bitter-sweet to have the Superbowl so close. I'll still enjoy it on TV - highdef will help:wink:.

@ Nakadai,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure on the etiquette of this subject either. I was just trying to be more safe than sorry.

Best video tape versions were the U.S. and Japanese tapes. There was a legit video released here in the U.S. in the 80s. The film was re-titled "Shaolin Temple II" it was pan and scan but a good clear quality print dubbed in English with no subs. The Japanese pre-record was also legit and had even better picture quality. It was pan and scan and dubbed in Japanese with no sub titles. I still have a good copy I made from an original "Shaolin Temple II" tape on a S-VHS tape that I dubbed using two S-VHS decks and a pro time base corrector. I should have bought the Japanese tape years ago and re-dubbed the English audio. I would love a high quality wide screen copy as it is one of my favorite movies. I even have the rare poster from the film framed here at my place.

I had this one as well under Shalion Temple II. Great film. Do you know if this has the missing English audio as compared to the fan print aka the french print?

Love that scene where Santa tries to storm his way through the monk's shapes array outside South Shaolin. Always amazed how well Ching Li manages to handle the action she does, her Gum Gong fist work is superb. Adam is simply the finest swordsman in HK cinema and its here, in those amazing Wu Tang training scenes, that he takes the crown.

I had a French video version years ago, and it freaked me out how RED the print was, the shortened running time was mad too, at least with the German videos (especially the Shaws bits) you knew that ALL German tapes HAD to be a certain running time, but what was the French excuse??

What a shame this wasn't remastered like the Shaw films were. Were Shaws in any way involved with this film or is it just the Lau family?

sifu iron perm
Love that scene where Santa tries to storm his way through the monk's shapes array outside South Shaolin. Always amazed how well Ching Li manages to handle the action she does, her Gum Gong fist work is superb. Adam is simply the finest swordsman in HK cinema and its here, in those amazing Wu Tang training scenes, that he takes the crown.

I had a French video version years ago, and it freaked me out how RED the print was, the shortened running time was mad too, at least with the German videos (especially the Shaws bits) you knew that ALL German tapes HAD to be a certain running time, but what was the French excuse??

Easy Pops,

I bought the tape from Eastern Heoes, subtitled version. Which tranfer was that from?

Yo Iron Perm

The Eastern Heroes tape release was from the original Ocean Shores HK video release of the movie. Its a shame that an original master print couldnt be found, as Ocean kept most of their prints in pristine order (like Hot Cool and Vicious etc). The DVD print I have is the same as the video copy but with dubwork (would have been better to have dual languages on it,as I prefer the Canto version, but there you go- Wu-Tang clan have a lot to answer for).

I'm pretty sure Shaws never knew that this movie was being made at the studios, its not like they let anybody else make an independent film there is it??. Shaws probably thought it was Lau si-fu's new movie for them, although Gordon is credited as director, with the amount of fight action in this movie it's pretty clear that the mo seut do yeen was calling the shots here-take a bow Lau si-fu.

Reel Power Stunts
Yo Iron Perm

The Eastern Heroes tape release was from the original Ocean Shores HK video release of the movie. .

AFAIK (I could be wrong) Ocean didn't release "Shaolin & Wu Tang" in Hong Kong. They did release other Lau Bros films like "Fists & Guts" and "Carry on Wiseguy"/"Warrior from Shaolin", though.

Here's a HK vhs cover scan:

shaolinwutanghkvhs.jpg

The old Rainbow/Tai-Seng label also released "Shaolin and Wu-Tang" on Rainbow videos VHS years ago. It was in Cantonese with Chinese & English subs. The quality was not good. I also saw a pre-record of the film dubbed in Spanish years ago!

Archived