Invincible Armour and Dance of the Drunk Mantis

Jd84

Watched both of these films last night for the first time ever. I enjoyed both of them, but really enjoyed Invincible Armour. The copies I watched were on the Martial Arts Essentials dvd put out by videoasia. Are there better copies of Invincible Armour out there quality wise?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best DVD of INVINCIBLE ARMOUR is definitely the German one on New. German title is "Die Stahlfaust". W/S and original audio; Mandarin audio is incomplete though, for about 10 minutes one has to endure the God-awful English dub. Since New's demise its getting more difficult to find. Some German retailers occasionally offer copies.

Best version of DANCE OF THE DRUNK MANTIS is the remastered HK Mei Ah issue from 2004. Its still available at DDD House, but seems to disappear from the stores though. Looks like it'll be out of print soon. Didn't see it anywhere at the usual HK DVD shops when I was there recently.

BTW, you're talkin' about Videoasia, that filthy bootleg "company"? Their product should be avoided like the plague!

Watched both of these films last night for the first time ever. I enjoyed both of them, but really enjoyed Invincible Armour. The copies I watched were on the Martial Arts Essentials dvd put out by videoasia. Are there better copies of Invincible Armour out there quality wise?

As a viewer, I actually think the Martial Arts Essentials version is pretty good, especially since you get 6 movies for the price of one. One of the other movies on that set "Born Invincible" is also good film. I actually think it's Carter Wong's best action performance.

@ Truecos2

Question was if there are better versions out and I just mentioned the best ones. Leeches like Videoasia are notorious for their subterranean quality, even if INVINCIBLE ARMOUR happens to be one of "their" better prints.

The Silver Fox
Best DVD of INVINCIBLE ARMOUR is definitely the German one on New. German title is "Die Stahlfaust". W/S and original audio; Mandarin audio is incomplete though, for about 10 minutes one has to endure the God-awful English dub. Since New's demise its getting more difficult to find. Some German retailers occasionally offer copies.

Best version of DANCE OF THE DRUNK MANTIS is the remastered HK Mei Ah issue from 2004. Its still available at DDD House, but seems to disappear from the stores though. Looks like it'll be out of print soon. Didn't see it anywhere at the usual HK DVD shops when I was there recently.

BTW, you're talkin' about Videoasia, that filthy bootleg "company"? Their product should be avoided like the plague!

It should be noted that the German version has only German subs. The lack of English subs make the Mandarin track pretty useless. It is also windowboxed which is not very desirable.

I have The Vegeance Video version, the Video Asia version, the Pan Media version and the FarEastFlicks version. They all use the same print.

The problem with the VideoAsia is that it has the dreaded Insta Action feature, it is also a bootleg. The Pan Media, besides being a bootleg is really Pixelly and kind of shaky. The Vengeance is good and is an actual legit release(I think) which is nice. The best version the custom DVD from FarEastFlix. Still, the differences between the different versions is small.

I think you should just stick with what you got because they are all pretty much the same.

@ Truecos2

Question was if there are better versions out and I just mentioned the best ones. Leeches like Videoasia are notorious for their subterranean quality, even if INVINCIBLE ARMOUR happens to be one of "their" better prints.

Agreed.

This is one of my favorite movies, I just happen to have the Essentials and like you've said "Invincible Armour" is a pretty good print. I also had the Wu-Tang VHS version in the 90's which is when I first saw the movie.

Archived