Iron Monkey (1977)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I think the snake versus cat scene is found in quite a few versions of "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" though it wasn't in the UK VHS version. I've since acquired the US DVD version which has it in tact.

I actually downloaded "Fistful of Talons" so I'm not sure if the ripping apart of the eagle is found in most editions.

There's also the killing of the monkey in "Mad Monkey Kung Fu" but I don't know whether that will be in any US/UK releases...if it ever gets a fucking US/UK release!

Has the Monkey Fist in Kung Fu movies ever portrayed as negative in favor of the Villains???

Not many movies but Carradine in Circle of Iron I guess was a villain. Also the insane possessed monkey fight in Soul of Chiba where 4 Bruce Lee lookalikes do monkey, they also flash to real monkeys, it's some crazy shit they're throwing live monkeys at Chiba's head! One of the more entertaining fights I ever watched.

Iron monkey is one of the few flawless kung fu films, maybe the best of all of them

What I like in this movie Iron Monkeys infiltrating into enemy group was made lot more credible than in other movies.

is the UK eastern heroes release uncut and eng dub?

The UK Eastern Heroes Version is in English Only but is Cut. All Versions that were available Previously are Cut.

The Newer Custom Version That is available at Jamal's Blog has the Longest Runtime compared with all previous versions. I know this because the newer custom version was done by me. I have Spliced back scenes that were never available in any English version before, which were taken from the Mandarin Print.

The Longest Runtime version Previously was : 91 Minutes

The New Custom Version (Available at Jamals Blog) is :99 Minutes

OpiumKungFuCracker
The UK Eastern Heroes Version is in English Only but is Cut. All Versions that were available Previously are Cut.

The Newer Custom Version That is available at Jamal's Blog has the Longest Runtime compared with all previous versions. I know this because the newer custom version was done by me. I have Spliced back scenes that were never available in any English version before, which were taken from the Mandarin Print.

The Longest Runtime version Previously was : 91 Minutes

The New Custom Version (Available at Jamals Blog) is :99 Minutes

You and Jamal are doing a great job of doing these amazing projects of having the best uncut version available.... That's where I bought my copy, been happy ever since....

TheKungFuRobber
19 hours ago, Django said:

Is there a big difference between the Vengeance Video DVD and the German one? Are both uncut / widescreen?

The German disc is not too bad. It's a kind of assembled version, which has no Mandarin track but some scenes are still in Chinese with English or German removable subs. I do kind of wish there could have been a Mandarin track for the whole film though.

• Like 1

I got this for Christmas back in 1998 and dismissed it as being "too slow" (the choreography, not the pacing) when I saw it. Revisiting it almost 20 years later, I respect the film a lot more than I did back then. Long story short: Chen Kuan Tai plays a wastrel named "Iron" whose father is part of your average anti-Qing movement. One of the rebels (Wilson Tong) is actually a Qing agent in disguise and Iron's family is arrested and subsequently executed. Iron is left to fend for himself, and goes to the forest near Shaolin to live and forage for food. One of the laymen studying there, played by Chi Kuan-Chun, invites him to the temple to study. After basic training, he goes to the East Chamber to study the Monkey Fist with the "bitter monk". Several years later, he completes his training and goes undercover as a Qing enforcer in order to ferret out the warlord (played by Kam Kong) who ordered his family's execution.

The plot is no great shakes, and in the end, the film is mainly a showcase for Chen Kuan-Tai's monkey fu skills, which he picked up from Grandmaster Chan Sau-Chung. The choreography here is furnished by Chan Muk-Chuen, who worked on films like The Crippled Masters, Guy with Secret Kung Fu, and even choreographed himself as a monkey fist fighter in Monkey Fist, Floating Snake. Moreover, he teamed up a second time with Chen Kuan-Tai for Duel at Tiger Village, which was released on VHS as Iron Monkey Strikes Back. Chan Muk-Chuen is a competent choreographer who gets the essence of the shapes and styles he depicts down pat, but I think he's restricted by budget and tight shooting schedules. He also seems to eschew undercranking in any form, so the fights feel slower than stuff like Knockabout and Stroke of Death.

There's quite a bit of action--the last 20 minutes are non-stop fighting, as Chen Kuan Tai takes on a series of mini-bosses, including Leung Kar-Yan and Wilson Tong, before ultimately taking on the eagle claw master, Kam Kong. Leung Kar-Yan's and Wilson Tong's fights feel a bit generic, as their styles are nondescript. Chi Kuan Chun also doesn't get much fight time, so his five animals style is largely ignored. While Kam Kong does some Northern Eagle's Claw (I assume), he comes across as being rather stiff because of his size. He did better work in The Crane Fighter and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. The real star is Chen Kuan Tai, who gives his monkey fist style a great showcase, even if he looks almost as stiff as Kam Kong does. He also does some work with a spear and a three-section staff in some of the fights. As I said, his fights seem to be fine on the technical side, but are lacking in some of the energy that set apart the very best work of Sammo, Woo-Ping, the Lau Clan and Jackie Chan. It's worth a view, though.

• Like 5

Yesterday, I watched Iron Monkey with Chen Kuan Tai. It was the first time I watched it and I enjoyed it a lot. Sun Chia Lin should have had some fighting scenes, and Chi Kaun Chun was underuses, here, but I loved this movie.

I watched it in the German dvd release by Shamrock, and it has an interview with Chen Kuan Tai. He speaks in English most of the time,, but the sound is very low and even by pushing it at the maximum, I had difficulties to hear what he said. I heard that he had a neck injury while shooting Crippled avengers, if I'm not mistaken, and that he hurt Ku Feng once by a punch during the shooting of Human Lanterns, but...I just verified and Ku Feng doesn't play in this movie, so, maybe I didn't properly hear the actor's name. at a moment, there is no sound during the interview, and when it comes back, it's out of synchronization with the images, and it abruptely stops while Chen Kuan Tai is talking ! The interview lasts 38mn and a few seconds.

• Like 4