Iron Monkey (1977)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

• Administrator

Since we're on the subject... though not evil, Monkey Fist is used to great effect by one of the FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS too.

Though I love the film, I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure about this one... Did Billy Chong (as the hero) use Eagle's Claw in FISTFULL OF TALONS? It's been way too long since I saw it.

Granted, it's been a while since I last watched it but didn't one of the villains use a Monkey Fist pole technique in "Warriors Two?"

• Administrator
3 villains use monkey style in 2 champions of shaolin.

Good one!

Granted, it's been a while since I last watched it but didn't one of the villains use a Monkey Fist pole technique in "Warriors Two?"

Not sure...

I like Hsiao Ho's ( Little Monkey) performance in Mad Monkey kung fu he really put it on Lo Lieh there at the end.

Yeah, when he finally goes "Mad Monkey" at the end it's awesome! The scenes of he and Pops practicing side by side are absolutely priceless!

I sort of remember seeing a movie where the hero learns Monkey Fist to fight a villain, but the baddie says "Oh? I know Monkey Style too!" and kicks our hero's ass using it. Then the guy has to train more before he can finally defeat the villain at the end. Can't recall which film. Ring any bells for anyone?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is Drunken Monkey, Drunken Boxing and Monkey Fist combined??? Thanks for the recommendation guys, Time for some Monkey Kung Fu research... I want to see drunken boxing mixed with Tiger and Mantis...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Chang Cheh had Gordon & Bruce Tong using eagle claw for good in Shaolin Martial arts - maybe one of the first representations of the style of the oldschool? Who knows? The balance tipped towards evil after this I guess.

Evil monkey men ain't springing to mind immediately unfortunately. There's bound to be an obvious one staring in the face I guess. Regardless, one of my favourite bits of monkey is in the Loot - when David Chiang loses it, monkey noises & all; Tsui Siu Keung turns to him baffled & says "What are you doing? Stop screaming". Brilliant.

If you're interested here's Chen Kuan Tai's real life sifu. He was also master to brothers Chin Kar Lok & Chin Siu Ho... (made Finally Knock You Down Dad special - CKT & Chin Siu Ho together; good to see real life kung fu brothers working).

Now this man really is built like a monkey:

He was in a couple films rocking the monkey style, Duel Of The 7 Tigers for one - can't remember if he were good or bad though, maybe therein lie the answer. Edit - no, just checked, he's a monk in that one...

Here is the movie Master Siu Ho was in but it does not give a title in English what movie is this please

And of course Iron Monkey 1977 is the balm baby.

Here is another Monkey King Paulie Zink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbUwtTVw3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOvw1y26yFc&feature=related

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
Is Drunken Monkey, Drunken Boxing and Monkey Fist combined??? Thanks for the recommendation guys, Time for some Monkey Kung Fu research... I want to see drunken boxing mixed with Tiger and Mantis...

Yes, DRUNKEN MONKEY is indeed that. Many people were very disappointed in this film. The first Shaw Brothers feature to be made in a long, long time, and a bit of a comeback film for Lau Kar-Leung. It's not a top notch classic, but personally, I loved it! Wu Jing and Pops tear shit up. There's a scene where Pops gets mad (Monkey Mad) and hops onto a table. He starts shaking it and leaps into some bamboo trees in one of my favorite wire-assisted moves ever. It looks so natural. Another great old school SB star is in this as well- Chi Kuan-Chun, and he is as ripped as ever. Pops even fights Gordon Liu! Lots of people bitched that they were slow, but Pops was 66 when this was made and he had just came back after beating cancer! Anyway, it's great IMHO, and if you're a Monkey Fist enthusiast (which you are), then you'll definitely dig it.

Well then "Dance of the Drunken Mantis" is for you!

Good call. But if you want to see some more cool Drunken Mantis, check out THUNDERING MANTIS. There's a little kid that rocks this style. Plus, the film has one of my favorite end fights of all time, featuring what I guess you'd call... Insane Mantis style!

Here is the movie Master Siu Ho was in but it does not give a title in English what movie is this please

GD Y-Y

That film is MONKEY FIST (1974, aka. Monkey Fist of Shaolin). He's amazing. The film itself... just okay.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Yes, DRUNKEN MONKEY is indeed that. Many people were very disappointed in this film. The first Shaw Brothers feature to be made in a long, long time, and a bit of a comeback film for Lau Kar-Leung. It's not a top notch classic, but personally, I loved it! Wu Jing and Pops tear shit up. There's a scene where Pops gets mad (Monkey Mad) and hops onto a table. He starts shaking it and leaps into some bamboo trees in one of my favorite wire-assisted moves ever. It looks so natural. Pops even fights Gordon Liu! Lots of people bitched that they were slow, but they're in their '50s and '60s! Or maybe Pops is in his '70s now? Can't recall. Anyway, it's great IMHO, and if you're a Monkey Fist enthusiast, then you'll dig it.

Good call. But if you want to see some more cool Drunken Mantis, check out THUNDERING MANTIS. There's a little kid that rocks this style. Plus, the film has one of my favorite end fights of all time, featuring what I guess you'd call... Insane Mantis style!

That film is MONKEY FIST (1974, aka. Monkey Fist of Shaolin). He's amazing. The film itself... just okay.

Your right Bob I saw this film it was just so so.

GD Y-Y

Check out snake in the monkeys shadow.Storyline is extremely thin but good fight scenes and interesting styles(snake,drunken,monkey and finally drunk monkey) makes you will watch it more than once.

• Administrator
Check out snake in the monkeys shadow.Storyline is extremely thin but good fight scenes and interesting styles(snake,drunken,monkey and finally drunk monkey) makes you will watch it more than once.

Absolutely. Great little flick.

ShaOW!linDude

Since the discussion is evolving into one about Monkey Style films, then Knockabout has to be mentioned and the dual Monkey stylings of Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. Love that movie. Of course, I'm sure everyone here already has that one in their collection.

OpiumKungFuCracker

It seems like the majority of Fu Flix have the Monkey Style Technique.. Is there a lesser know style that isn't as popular but familiar to you guys??

I love this movie, probably the best monkey fist vs eagle claw battle ever. The story, acting, every boss fight was perfect. This movie predates LKL's Enter the 36 Chambers, similar concept but Iron Monkey is so much more delightfully vicious!

The way I compare 36 Chambers vs Iron Monkey, when Gordon Liu leaves Shaolin the film kind of gets boring, when Chen Kuan Tai leaves Shaolin, Iron Monkey gets ruthless!!

Did Billy Chong (as the hero) use Eagle's Claw in FISTFULL OF TALONS?
Maybe he found a use for one after ripping its legs off.

You're thinking of Yuen Mo in Magnificent Butcher?

Great performance from Yuen Mo that one.

Also actually thinking about it, was it Billy or Whang who tore that eagle apart - too lazy to check. They get a bum wrap in these flicks - just look at the beginning of Iron Monkey - they square off an actual eagle & monkey. Crazy shit!

• Administrator
Great performance from Yuen Mo that one.

Also actually thinking about it, was it Billy or Whang who tore that eagle apart - too lazy to check. They get a bum wrap in these flicks - just look at the beginning of Iron Monkey - they square off an actual eagle & monkey. Crazy shit!

Whang tears the bird apart.

Yes, the beginning of IRON MONKEY showing the real animals manages to be both sickening and fascinating at the same time. I feel guilty watching, but I can't look away.

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ Is that scene exclusively available on the uncut version only or has that scene with the animals fighting always been in the cut??? Oh, and I remember seeing a cat vs a cobra one time in the Jackie Chan movie, ' Snake in the Eagle's Shadow' or something like that...