Planet of the Apes TV series 1974'

daisho2004

Planet of the Apes TV series 1974'

I would love to see this series get a reboot, I was only 6yrs old when this came out on TV but I grew up with all the original movies. This was one of my favorites when I was young. I would love to see this series with an updated version.

Amazon.comThose immersed in the Planet of the Apes universe will go bananas for this DVD-only boxed set containing all 14 episodes of this obscure 1974 TV series based on the 1968 sci-fi classic. Ron Harper and James Naughton star as two astronauts who crash-land on the simian-ruled planet. Roddy McDowall (Cornelius in the Apes films) is Emmy-worthy as "renegade ape" Galen, who befriends them and helps them elude capture by the relentless General Urko. At its best, this series presented thoughtful stories in which the fugitives bridged the human-ape gap ("The Deception"). Of special interest is the episode "The Liberators," which was never broadcast during the series' fleeting run. Notable guest stars include Marc "Beastmaster" Singer ("The Gladiators"), Roscoe Lee Browne ("Tomorrow's Tide"), Sondra Locke ("The Cure"), and a pre-Bad News Bears Jackie Earle Haley ("The Legacy"). --Donald Liebenson

Product DescriptionAfter their spacecraft travels through a time warp, two astronauts (Ron Harper, James Naughton) from 1981 crash-land back on Earth in the year 3085 - a time when intelligent apes rule and humans have been reduced to servants or pets. Captured by the apes and sentenced to death, they are saved by a curious chimpanzee name Galen (Roddy McDowall). But now all three are on the run, trying to keep one step ahead of the gorilla army led by General Urko (Mark Lenard), who is determined to kill the renegades.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

For real? SWEET!

Yeah, this would be a cool TV series to reboot.

Were there only 14 eps? Thought there would be more. Oh well. Won't be getting this any time soon but It's definitely being added to the list.

Fun series. Yes, hard to believe only 14 episodes. Actor who played Urko died some time ago. I liked the episode when he and one of the astroboys are stuck in the subway tunnel and they uncover a zoo poster -- which shows an ape in a cage! :tongue:

I was seven when the series came out and it kept me glued to the set every Friday night. Was beyond upset when it got cancelled. Then a few months later, I discovered that it was originally a movie series...

I liked the episode when he and one of the astroboys are stuck in the subway tunnel and they uncover a zoo poster -- which shows an ape in a cage!

teako170: That was one of my favorites episodes as well! :bigsmile:

And I know it seems like when you are little there was more episodes of the show as well.

I have to this series to my list as well.

Killer Meteor

My fave episode was the one where Beverly Garland plays a doctor ape who experiments on the brain of one of the astronauts - the highlight is Urko taking the concept of brainwashing too literally!

I just wanted to throw a little Eye Candy at everyone from back in the day, of Linda Harrison who played Nova in Planet of the Apes. see was one of my 1st. crushes I had on a Woman! Damn she was Fine as Hell!

odioustrident

My favorite episode was when the humans stay at a farm and it turns out the apes are hilariously bad at growing things, so of course the guys teach them basic agriculture yada yada .... What was funny is that the apes could clearly not have maintained any kind of food source with the knowledge they displayed in that episode.

odioustrident: I only remember certain episodes and bits of other ones, this one you mentioned I cannot even remember at all.

ShaOW!linDude
I only remember certain episodes and bits of other ones, this one you mentioned I cannot even remember at all.

That's me, dude.:tongue:

I loved that show (& the films) as a kid. But I cant' remember jack about them (the TV eps). Every one you guys mention, I'm like: "Oh, yeah! I forgot about that one."

The TV show was great. Every episode was so entertaining. The gladiator fight one was another classic as well. The farming one was definitely one of the best ones. Please let them never remake this.

The animated series was pretty cool as well.

I just wanted to throw a little Eye Candy at everyone from back in the day, of Linda Harrison who played Nova in Planet of the Apes. see was one of my 1st. crushes I had on a Woman! Damn she was Fine as Hell!

Good old memories!!! Loved those movies (and the TV series) when I was a kid.

Archived