shogun ninja dubbed in english

shaolin swords

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeathFuMaster

I would definitely check all the local large-outlet stores in their DVD bargain-bin sections. I would not be surprised if you got it for less than 10 bucks - if you don't mind looking. And you usually find some other "trash treasure" in there as well.

Check your supermarket's $1 bargain bin. It's a popular public domain title.

They still consider it "public domain" in the US? I mean USA used to be a third world country when it came to copyrights of foreign movies, but I thought they had improved. Are they still "legally" stealing foreign movies as they wish?

Explained it before, I'll explain it again:

A dubbed version is a separate entity from the original; that is not unique to the US, by the way. If the US license holder created a dubbed version which it held the copyright to and let that copyright lapse, the dubbed version (and only the dubbed version) is public domain in the US. The original owner still owns the copyright on the original version and copyright holders of other versions still may have valid copyrights as well. Back in the day it was common for film companies to sell the foreign rights to their films outright and let the company buying the rights worry about the expenses/hassle of creating the dub; this is much less common now because of chance at future income due to home video and pay television broadcasts. Back in the '60s and '70s, though, this really wasn't the case.

At one point there was a loophole that basically said works not released in the US do not have a US copyright attached but that has long since been fixed. Another treaty let foreign companies reclaim the copyrights on many of their original version films that had been introduced into the public domain because of that loophole.

The Dubs were crreated by Toei most likely and not a US Distributor. If so, they're still bootlegs. i just wonder why they're not on the legally released DVDs (maybe too expensive?)

I read some reviews on Amazon.com which state that this BR does have both audio tracks, and is only on (1) disc not (2) as stated.

The Dubs were crreated by Toei most likely and not a US Distributor. If so, they're still bootlegs. i just wonder why they're not on the legally released DVDs (maybe too expensive?)

It was released theatrically in the US by American National Enterprises, who did the dubs on other foreign films they released and probably Shogun's Ninja, too. Even if Toei did the dub, if they sold the rights to American National, then Toei doesn't own the dub version anymore. ANE, as far as I know, went under and orphaned their holdings, which included GI Samurai, Renegade Ninjas and Bigfoot: Man or Beast.

I was glad to finally, after decades of loving this movie, get a good transfer with Japanese audio, but I'll never give up my dub. That's the version I quote all the time!

I was glad to finally, after decades of loving this movie, get a good transfer with Japanese audio, but I'll never give up my dub. That's the version I quote all the time!

Heh heh, that sounds cool. I prefer original language with subs for movies, but growing up with eng dubs means that I still hold a special love for quite a lot (to say the least!) of the older dubbed movies. Only ever watched the original lang. of Shogun's Ninja. I've got the Blu Ray release, so I'll put the eng dub on next time i watch it!

Me and my mates quote eng dub phrases all the time! :xd:

ahhhhh.....gone are the good ol' days!

I know what you mean. I'm glad to finally have Bruce Lee's films in Chinese, but I've probably only watched them once. I grew up with "You can take this from me and get out of here. When you're ready, I'll take on any Japanese here!" and I'll never give up my dub!

• Administrator

Thanks to my good buddy Wigsplitta and about ten gallons of beer I wound up with a BD copy of THE KILLING MACHINE/SHOGUN'S NINJA! :bigsmile:

To me, the BD pic looks like a nice little improvement over the DVD. And as others have also mentioned, despite usually preferring subtitles, I'm a sucker for certain dubs. The one for THE KILLING MACHINE is definitely one of them. Chiba is dubbed here (perfectly I think) by the same guy that did his voice for the first two STREETFIGHTER films, and I love it! Of note- BCI's DVD of THE KILLING MACHINE did not include the English dub (can't remember off hand if their DVD for SHOGUN'S NINJA did or not, but I don't think it did), and I was really disappointed about that. So it's great to have these dubs included on the BD. In KM, there's a scene where Chiba and one of his students cut off a rapist's dick and toss it into the street. A little dog runs over and eats it! In the Japanese audio version, despite seeing Chiba gesture towards this event, and seem to comment in surprise, there is no dialogue. But in the dubbed version, Chiba says "Lookit that!" which always cracks me up. :xd:

Since I'm waxing poetic about KM's presentation... there are a few times when I felt like BCI skimped on the subs, and left some things un-subbed. So if you haven't upgraded to BD yet, I found the R2 release's DVD subs to be much better, and would recommend that version.

It's been a very long time since I watched SHOGUN'S NINJA, but with that BD in the player... it got started up as soon as KM ended! :wink: Good stuff.

Tex Killer

Good movie, terrible soundtrack. Music which is more suited to background in shopping malls gets into nerves quickly and it`s played often:cry:

ThunderScore

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the SHOGUN'S NINJA soundtrack!

shaolin swords

I remember when I made this thread I cant believe that I saw people still posting in the thread lol :xd:

Killer Meteor
Good movie, terrible soundtrack. Music which is more suited to background in shopping malls gets into nerves quickly and it`s played often:cry:

Toei did that a fair bit at the time. The easy listening soundtrack for LEGEND OF DINOSAURS AND MONSTER BIRDS is most soothing.

The easy listening soundtrack for LEGEND OF DINOSAURS AND MONSTER BIRDS is most soothing.

Which is unfortunate because the last thing that snooze-fest needs is a "soothing, easy listening" score. ACK! :sad:

Archived