matango - attack of the mushroom people

Guest xrzax

ive always wanted to check this out.. but for some reason i never go ahead & buy it.. any thoughts from ppl who've seen it.. ive read its probably honda's best/most serious film (despite the exploitive english title)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venoms5

A great mood piece with some supremely creepy atmosphere and several stand out sequences. Banned for some time during its initial release assumedly because the consumption of the mushrooms in the film is a metaphor for drug addiction and also the sexual promiscuity of some of the cast members after they become addicted to and slowly become mushroom creatures. The english title ATTACK OF... was added by AIP in the West to lure teens into the theaters. It's only known as MATANGO in Japan. Aside from the original Japanese version of GODZILLA, the only horror movie Honda ever did.

Guest Megaloman

actually, this was never shown in the theaters, it's an AIP-TV release. they kept the original English dub for the DVD though, which is a good thing. very cool and creepy movie.

David

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just purchased this DVD. It's a great movie. The picture quality is very clean and the sound quality is superb.

There is a disappointing factor. The film comes in english dubs in 5.1 surround sound and english subs in 2.0 The english dub track dose'nt sound that much better, also the dialogue for the dubs is awful, to the extent of leaving out a certain part of the plot between to of the actors.

The english subs are just fine. You can follow the storyline perfectly viewing the film in this format.

Honda seems to be paying tribute to psilocybin and its mind expanding qualities in this story. Which I think is very cool of him. He also couples this with a depiction of, once you eat them you can never come back, type of warning to those who are curious. The abandoned research ship they find on the shores of this island seems to infer some sort of radioactive experimentation was performed on the island.

The mushroom people look and sound very cool. A must have for fans of mushrooms.

Guest venoms5

I believe the media blasters dvd, like their MYSTERIANS disc, has a new english dub track and not the original dub from the 60s which is disappointing for those who want it.

Guest Megaloman

nope, that's the original "international" dub, which is much better than the new Mysterians one that was created. AIP-TV thought it was OK, so they didn't redub it OR Dagora when they imported them for late night tv fun.

it's too bad they couldn't get the original US tracks for THE MYSTERIANS, ATRAGON or YOG, since those are really good.

David

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Dagora (this re-master is simply stunning). Dagora's got to be one of the most alien like and unique of the Toho Pantheon.

Yog (I can't wait to pick this one up re-mastered by MB). What's the original title again, Space Amoeba?

Archived