• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Vampire

Big Trouble In Little China

They Live

Evil Dead II

The Bird With Crystal Plumage

Ive heard alot about the Vampire series but havent seen any of them, is there lots of action (fighting) in those movies??

I think there is plenty of action in Mr. Vampire. It is a weird concoction of action, humor and the occult. As a change of pace, it's a comedy from Hong Kong that's really funny.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ricky Hui is funny just by his face alone. If the cartoon character Droopy the Dog was a chinese dude, he'd be Ricky Hui. And when he does that little moving around dance, im gone. Add to that, the badass taoist wizardry skills of Lam Ching Ying and the kicking skills of Chin Siu Ho, and it's on! Along with Spooky Encounters, Mr. Vampire is what opened my eyes to the supernatural subgenres of HK cinema. A classic for sure.

Ricky Hui is funny just by his face alone. If the cartoon character Droopy the Dog was a chinese dude, he'd be Ricky Hui. And when he does that little moving around dance, im gone. Add to that, the badass taoist wizardry skills of Lam Ching Ying and the kicking skills of Chin Siu Ho, and it's on! Along with Spooky Encounters, Mr. Vampire is what opened my eyes to the supernatural subgenres of HK cinema. A classic for sure.

Ha! I was going to ask you about Spooky Encounters!:smile: havent seem that either.

masterofoneinchpunch
Ha! I was going to ask you about Spooky Encounters!:smile: havent seem that either.

I have a longish Mr. Vampire review here if you are interested. And another near 1000 word review of Spooky Encounters here.

I'm a fan of both classics.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Love both Spooky Encounters. Think the second one is often given short thrift, but I love it. Throw in Dead and the Deadly too. Not as good, but still a fun underrated Sammo flick in my book.

I have a longish Mr. Vampire review here if you are interested. And another near 1000 word review of Spooky Encounters here.

I'm a fan of both classics.

Thank you guys!:bigsmile:

Not sure what your definition of cult films are. but for me its indie films or films without much fanfare when released.

1. Clerks (Kevin Smith's Debut)

2. Memento (Christopher Nolan's 2nd feature film)

3. Memories of Murder (Joon-ho Bong's 2nd Feature Film)

4, Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino's debut)

5. American Psycho (Mary Harron's debut feature Film plus the film credited for getting Christian Bale recognized as a top leading man.))

Obviously there is a trend here. These are films that started some pretty big careers.

Secret Executioner

Heard of a cult movie called Reefer Madness AKA Tell Your Children, a 1930s anti-drug movie. Looks like a lot of fun, it seems to be badly done and to completely miss its point. Anybody knows of a good DVD release of this one (or if sets with this film and other movies similar to it exist) ? :tongue:

I consider the whole of my HK movie collection cult movies.

Well here is the top 5 of my favourite American B-movies:

1. The Evil dead

2. Combat Shock

3. Last house on dead end street

4. Eraserhead

5. Re-animator

Honorable mentions: Isla shewolf of the SS, Night of the living dead, garbage pale kids the movie, return of the living dead, basket case, class of nukem high, tromeo and juliet, commando, escape from new york, C.H.U.D., Witchboard.

My top 5 Italian B movies:

1. Cannbal Holocaust

2. The Beyond

3. The good, the bad and the Ugly

4. Demons

5. Zombie flesh eaters

My new Top 5 as of today:

1) The Toxic Avenger

2) Class of 1999

3) Class of Nuke Em High/Return to Nuke Em High Vol. 1 (tie)

4) Clerks

5) Empire Records (the movie bombed in its initial release, but due to the soundtrack, the movie ultimately became a cult classic when it hit video stores)

Archived