Being Human: on SyFy

daisho2004

I don't know if anyone has seen this new show on SyFy but it was really good, its like a cross between True Blood & Twilight. Its about 3 roommates 1 who happens to be a Vampire, another a Werewolf and the last a Ghost. I didn't know what to expect from the pilot but it was surprisingly good.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

This was originally a UK series. I've watched a few of the eps of it on the BBC channel DirectTV has. I kind of liked it but it was a little soap opera-y. Not very big on action but when it came (it was the vampires, of course) it was pretty bloody. It didn't show much in the way of the werewolf transformation. I initially liked the chick playing the ghost but she wore thin real quick. Like I said, I only watched a few eps (3-4). It was reruns of the 1st season in prep for airing of the 2nd. I opted not to hang with it.

Action and f/x wise, how was the US version?

Well there really wasn't anything that has happened as of yet. It didn't even explain all about the characters yet but it was the 1st. episode so I'm sure it is only going to get better. The Ghost Chick is fine as hell.

I've watched all episodes of the original UK version and I like it a lot. The werewolf transformations were really cool in the UK one. They used old fashioned Rick Baker-style effects, no CGI. However, with the US version, all the transformations are cheapy CGI. Other differences, no swearing or nudity in the US version, they changed all the character names too. In the UK, the vampire was called Mitchel, the werewolf George and the ghost Annie. They've also given the vampire special powers in the US show; he can now use superspeed and erase people's memories.

On the one hand, I can't believe SyFy is bothering to remake something that is on another channel and something I don't like to boot. Why not just show the original even though it was already aired on BBC America like they did with Primeval? On the other hand, it is nice to see them producing something new that isn't reality or wrestling, especially since they cancelled Stargate Universe. Seems like lately BBC America is more science fiction than SyFy, particularly with the almost inexplicable additions of Star Trek TNG and X Files to the line up!

I didn't know that BBC had this show I guess I need to watch that as well. Sounds even better but I'm glad SyFy is doing this show, it to me was a big step for them, more on Adult content.

You should definitely check out the original version, the writing and acting is top-notch. And the story is a lot further advanced; the third series begins airing later this week on BBC3 in the UK.

Season #3 WOW, I'm surprised I never heard of it b4!

The 1st season was a cult hit over here, gained a lot of word of mouth. The 2nd series really saw it take of, they extended the series by two episodes. Now, in the build up to the premier of series 3, it's been on the front pages of all the UK TV guide magazines and lots of TV ads. It's gotten to be quite a popular little show here now, mostly on the quality of the writing and acting. The UK series is written and created by one guy, and the same guy writes all the episodes himself (no staff writers). So there's no filler like you sometimes get with TV shows. Each episode advances the story.

Watched the 2nd. episode last night, it does have that element of Dark to it, I'm really liking this show so far.

I want to see if Netflix has the BBC version on DVD so I can compare the 2 shows.

I like The Cape better.

I didn't get to watch that yet. Switched cable companies and lost everything I had on my DVR taped including this series, gotta start again.

Even though I'm not very happy with the US taking shows from UK and trying to make them more "American" (IE Top Gear, Skins, anything with Gordon Ramsey) I actually think Being Human is quite good. I don't want to bother trying to say one is better than the other, because both can stand on their own, especially since they seem to be altering the story from the UK version, which would be for the better.

Also, I find the US version a little bleaker than the UK one. With each episode, it seems that nothing can really go right for the characters. Not like this is a good thing, but it is interesting.

The BBC version was released on DVD over here, region 2. There's a boxset of the first two series available. check the usual suspects: Amazon, Play.com, etc.

Archived