The Anonymous King - The Search For Hwang Jang Lee

BlurayStation3

BlurayStation3

http://vimeo.com/17457388

'The Anonymous King' follows the search for Hwang Jang Lee (황정리), the man known as 'King of the Leg Fighters' in the martial arts world. During the nineteen seventies and early eighties he was heralded as one of the true greats of kung fu cinema. His life is a fascinating story full of genuine heartbreak and triumph.

This is the first trailer for the documentary that tracks him down and finds out the truth behind the legend.

Anyone know when this comes out?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

No idea about a release date....however if this is still in post-production then it would be the perfect opportunity for the film-maker, Jon-James Hodson, to approach the UK based Contender Entertainment about releasing the now almost as legendary as 'The Big Boss' saw-in-the-head scene Mike Leeder interviews with Hwang Jang Lee, which I believe where conducted in Jeju Island sometime around 2001-2002.

They could make a great extra feature on a possible DVD release.

Looking at the trailer, I actually thought it looked terrible, it just seems to consist of a clueless foreign guy strolling around the streets of Seoul asking random strangers if they know where the guy in the photo, taken sometime in the late 70's/early 80's, is...not exactly comedy gold.

But a quick look at wikipedia actually states -

In 2010, Hwang Jeong-Ri gave his most in-depth interview to date in the film "The Anonymous King", which follows Jon-James Hodson as he attempts to find Hwang Jeong-Ri in his native Seoul. The film contains interviews with family and old cast members and is filmed on location in Korea and Hong Kong.

So hopefully the trailer is not completely representative of the style the documentary takes.

DeathFuMaster

Wow this has the possibility of being an awesome documentary! Hope news of a DVD release will come soon, HJL is the man.

David Rees

Looking forward to this, one of the unsung heroes of martial arts cinema. He does look great for his age!:wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey Guys, at the urging of Karlos to hunt for Hwang to send him a copy of the art I didof him, I started looking into finding the Silver Fox. Next thing you know, Monk Sante has sent me a link to the first trailer for this film.

I hear what you're saying OAB, but honestly, when I watched it I got really excited. Then, yesterday he posted the second trailer which I think is awesome!

I have been in contact with the director, and he is indeed in mid post-production. I will keep you guys updated as I get more details.

Oh yeah, and he said he would get my art to Hwang Jang-Lee for me! Can you dig it? :bigsmile::nerd::tongue::wink:

ShaOW!linDude
I have been in contact with the director, and he is indeed in mid post-production. I will keep you guys updated as I get more details.

Oh yeah, and he said he would get my art to Hwang Jang-Lee for me! Can you dig it? :bigsmile::nerd::tongue::wink:

Send 2.

1 for him to have; 1 for him to sign and send back to you!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Send 2.

1 for him to have; 1 for him to sign and send back to you!

Way ahead of you on that one! :nerd:

silver hermit

your hwang art is one of your best works, that artwork would look awesome on the dvd release cover.

ShaOW!linDude
your hwang art is one of your best works, that artwork would look awesome on the dvd release cover.

True Story!!!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Gee, thanks guys. Actually, Jon did ask me if I would be interested in doing the poster for his film. I am cetainly interested, and I hope that happens.

But back on topic. With the director's permission, I am sharing the following news about his film:

"The latest with the film is.. I'm working solo and having to save cash to entirely self-finance the project. It's going well and I'm mid-translation on the interviews I did with him. There will be a second trailer up, hopefully tomorrow, so check that out."

The trailer he's referring to is the second one on this thread- about 5 posts back. Self-financing is very tough. But like many filmmakers, Jon seems to be forging forward full steam ahead, running on will power to complete his labor of love. Personally, I can't wait to see this. I love documentaries about genre personalities, and I'm extremely curious about HJL's life. As I find out anything new about the project, I'll definitely share it with you guys.

Jesse Smooth
Gee, thanks guys. Actually, Jon did ask me if I would be interested in doing the poster for his film. I am cetainly interested, and I hope that happens.

But back on topic. With the director's permission, I am sharing the following news about his film:

"The latest with the film is.. I'm working solo and having to save cash to entirely self-finance the project. It's going well and I'm mid-translation on the interviews I did with him. There will be a second trailer up, hopefully tomorrow, so check that out."

The trailer he's referring to is the second one on this thread- about 5 posts back. Self-financing is very tough. But like many filmmakers, Jon seems to be forging forward full steam ahead, running on will power to complete his labor of love. Personally, I can't wait to see this. I love documentaries about genre personalities, and I'm extremely curious about HJL's life. As I find out anything new about the project, I'll definitely share it with you guys.

I'm interested in his training methods and relationships with other Korean taekwondo masters. I remember reading here there was a bit of controversy.

TheDenizen

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to check this one out. HJL was always my fave kung fu villain.

This is really impressive...he basically did what everyone who loves HJL/HJR has always wanted to do...find him and get the lowdown on the man himself. I know Big Mike did the interviews in 2001-2002 but those guys at Contender locked up the interviews in their vaults. I remember Mike saying he had tried to get the interviews back but to no avail. Who knows...maybe one day we will definitely see a combination of Jon's documentary and Mike's interviews...call it the real HWANG JANG-LEE RETROSPECTIVE! :D

This is really impressive...he basically did what everyone who loves HJL/HJR has always wanted to do...find him and get the lowdown on the man himself. I know Big Mike did the interviews in 2001-2002 but those guys at Contender locked up the interviews in their vaults. I remember Mike saying he had tried to get the interviews back but to no avail. Who knows...maybe one day we will definitely see a combination of Jon's documentary and Mike's interviews...call it the real HWANG JANG-LEE RETROSPECTIVE! :D

That sounds like a good idea sir, was thinking about it.

But was also thinking, as Hong Kong Legends has been re-activated to some degree, isn't there a possibility of them retrieving the interview from their vault to include on whatever related re-re-re-release might be coming next?

kingofkungfu2002

Cynthia Rothrock just got back from Korea, and guess who she caught up with after all these years :bigsmile:

korea17q.jpg

odioustrident
Is that John Liu on the left?

[edit]

....On second thought, I'm thinking Bruce Li.

It's this guy.

w1sYtj4WQy0

Archived