Tony Jaa no longer a monk

Improvisation

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I can read Thai, so I'm not sure what it actually states or even if that Girl pictured with him is indeed his GF! But if he is back then that is great news! I think we all knew it would just be a matter of time.

ShaOW!linDude

YEAH!!!!!!!

'Bout time!

Glad he got a GF. That translation is still kind of mind-boggling though.

Can't wait for some news on his new project.

Not that I can read Thai, so I'm not sure what it actually states or even if that Girl pictured with him is indeed his GF! But if he is back then that is great news! I think we all knew it would just be a matter of time.

this is in the comments below the article in the second link

Helius-

Hey, thanks T for the news! Completely missed it myself O_O

Some interesting things that Google translation missed;

-His girlfriend's name is Boong-Kee (or Boong-Ki, or Boonky, however you want to spell it LOL) , she is the daughter of the owner of Dragon Hotel in Rayong.

-This is the school that Tony studied in from first to sixth grade.

Guest Yi-Long

Glad he doesn't look like a fat middle-aged woman anymore.

We already knew the whole monk-thing was temporary, considering many thai men choose to become a monk for a little while...

i hope he makes something along the lines of Ong bak 1 and the protecter, i dont really dig ong bak 2 n 3 much, i never really understood how ong bak 1 was in modern like times, and 2 and 3 jump to like period films..

ShaOW!linDude
i hope he makes something along the lines of Ong bak 1 and the protecter, i dont really dig ong bak 2 n 3 much, i never really understood how ong bak 1 was in modern like times, and 2 and 3 jump to like period films..

I mentioned in my mini-reviews that I think the connection is the Buddha the villagers pray to in OB3 is the same one he goes to retrieve the head of in OB1. That's the only connection I can think to make.

Maybe he's depicting his own ancestor who was the 1st Ong Bak in OB2 & OB3.

It really wasn't ever explained very well though, was it?

Guest Yi-Long

For the western release of Ong-Bak 2, they removed the modern-day scenes with the deLorean...

Damn cuts.

I genuinely hope he makes the film, "The Sword," he was once attached to. I'd love to see a well made weapons movie starring Jaa.

I understand everyone wanting him to go back to the original "Ong Bak" formula but I think I actually prefer the second outing. It's just a more mature effort. If he can combined the consistent action of his early films with the cinematography, story and all round atmosphere of "Ong Bak 2" I'll be in Heaven.

I have enjoyed all his movies thus far, I thought OB2 was totally off the hook, and I really enjoyed this period type of film from him. OB3 was a big let down, you can see they really rushed into making that movie. So I would like to see more modern and period films from him in the future just glad he is back!

Thank you. None of my friends or I found Ong-Bak 2 to be particularly memorable. All these big "epic" movies are starting to merge into one generic, cliched mess. And almost none of them have likable characters. Even when they did try to inject some humor and fun into the movie, it failed miserably.

Hopefully Jaa gets back to his roots.

Guest Yi-Long
Thank you. None of my friends or I found Ong-Bak 2 to be particularly memorable. All these big "epic" movies are starting to merge into one generic, cliched mess. And almost none of them have likable characters. Even when they did try to inject some humor and fun into the movie, it failed miserably.

Hopefully Jaa gets back to his roots.

I think the best 'epic' movie of the last 10 years was Mongol, although that might be because it also falls in the bio-pic category.

I agree with you that most of these movies suck balls. I want to see movies about 1 dude getting beaten the shit out of him or a relative, training his ass off, and in the end of the movie he gets his revenge.

That's all.

Doesn't need to cost a fortune, doesn't need a big cast or big stunts, doesn't need any special effects. It just needs a good main character, a great villain, a nice teacher, and kick-ass martial arts scenes and training scenes.

I think the best 'epic' movie of the last 10 years was Mongol, although that might be because it also falls in the bio-pic category.

Mongol was a good movie, forgot about that one. Wasn't it supposed to be a trilogy?

I liked Genghis Khan's dating advice in the movie.

"She should be squat and not too good looking, because you're always going to be fending dudes off."

I agree with you about the formula for most "kung fu" movies. Sometimes I want to watch something formulaic, as long as it's satisfying.

Guest Yi-Long
Mongol was a good movie, forgot about that one. Wasn't it supposed to be a trilogy?

I liked Genghis Khan's dating advice in the movie.

"She should be squat and not too good looking, because you're always going to be fending dudes off."

I agree with you about the formula for most "kung fu" movies. Sometimes I want to watch something formulaic, as long as it's satisfying.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a trilogy, but the shoot went so difficult that the director kinda went: "well... fuck that idea..."

His advice was good, yet he still ended up with 2 kids who weren't his... :angel:

I still don't know what half of you Guys didn't like about OB2! I thought it was a Great movie, yes I will say great it had a great storyline and the action was off the hook! Now OB3 is a different story. What do you Guys want from these movies?

Guest Yi-Long
I still don't know what half of you Guys didn't like about OB2! I thought it was a Great movie, yes I will say great it had a great storyline and the action was off the hook! Now OB3 is a different story. What do you Guys want from these movies?

I thought OB2 was good... but I certainly didn't love it and I also wasn't amazed by anything in it, like I was with Ong-Bak and TYG.

Plus I'm not really sure which cut I watched. It was on Film.1 here in Holland.

I thought the storyline felt as if the writer was just making it up as he went.

Also, Jaa's character was not likable at all. Look at him in Ong Bak. He seems like a real person, someone you can relate to, from a small town. (He essentially plays the same role again in TYG but I digress). He doesn't learn Muay Thai because he's a vengeful animal. He shows a sense of humor and a range of emotion. The cast of characters in OB1 isn't too big, they're all fleshed out enough. The story is simple and never has you scratching your head much.

I really can't say any of those things about OB2. Instead we're treated to a host of ugly, weird characters that I didn't care about. Jaa is out for revenge and acts angry for much of the duration and has next to no memorable lines. There are countless faceless villains who don't pose much of a threat. And to top it all off, we transition from slightly fantastic reality to pure fantasy when the Crow (wtf?) shows up and jumps the shark (or elephant, in this case).

Improvisation

I've been saying for a while that if/when Tony gets back into making movies, he needs to truly return to his roots by making a traditional muay boran/muay thai chaiya movie. It doesn't have to take place 500 years ago, it can be modern. But something that builds upon that raw talent and physicality, the gritty athleticism he displayed in the original Ong Bak.

It can be like Beautiful boxer, except with less emphasis on character struggle and more on the art of Thai boxing itself. There's plenty of potential for both amazing fight scenes and a deep story, so he can make everyone happy. With Rittikrai choreographing, they could get some real Thai boxers to play his opponents/trainers.

Something simple, traditional, gritty, and real. Just wrap his hands in hemp rope and make a martial arts movie with some meat. I know he can still do it.

There are countless faceless villains who don't pose much of a threat.

The villains in Ong Bak 2 pose more of a threat than the villains in any of his other movies. In Ong Bak 2, they often go tit for tat with him, trading multiple blows and exchanges until they are finally dispatched. It was a refreshing change from the "one knee or one elbow and you're out" choreography of his other movies.

Archived