Space Battleship Yamato (Live Action)

Michael L.

Anybody know if there is going to be a US release, obviously limited run, for this? Or DVD?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard talk of this getting remade in the U.S., with the U.S.S. Arizona in place of the Yamato (I know...!).

I wanna see this, too. Hopefully we'll at least get a R1 DVD/blu-ray.

watched this yesterday. it was entertaining, yet somewhat unspectacular despite some grand looking scenes all thanks to cgi.

buckle up for a cheesy star trek clone with over the top theatrics and pathos coming your way like a meteor shower.

set design: in SBY we get to see outer space in all its boring glory and the inside of the yamato, the last remainder of earths` space battleship fleet.

hangars, docks, hallways, the bridge.... its all kinda dull.

the starships both alien and human: good cgi all the way. some battle sequences look a tad too fake, other than that, i dug the ships designs, their animation and the special fx like the laser blasts, explosions, the warping etc

the alien species (all cg) design was interesting and nicely animated.

as for the story- been there seen that; its just enough to carry the movie from one space battle sequence to the next and finally to the showdown inside an underground cave system of the aliens hideout.

interactions between the characters, many of the characters themselves, dialogues, plot devices- theres nothing much to write home about. pretty cliched, sometimes cheesy, sometimes borderline annoying, sometimes moving along smoothly without breaking any new grounds whatsoever. a typical blockbuster a la hollywood. mildly recommended imho.

I agree, jmungus; what should've been a fun romp soon got bogged down in cliche and melodrama.

Shame, as the trailer made it look wonderfully bonkers.

If the original anime or the later US version are anything like this I won't bother seeking it out.

buckle up for a cheesy star trek clone with over the top theatrics and pathos coming your way like a meteor shower.

Which describes the original Yamato perfectly to a T.

That said, it works better in anime, as it's easier to accept cartoon characters as cartoon characters.

Archived